2004 - 2008 F-150

custom fiberglass console 2.0 build up

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks really good!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:44 PM
ok got it covered in tape and foil but then didnt like the foil so i ripped that off and used vynl tape which i wish i had found earlier because the fiberglass doesnt stick to it.....

and here is the first layer, notice all the airbubbles on the red sections, its because the fiberglass would not stick to it so removing the foam should be a little easier now

Old 03-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Old 03-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Man that thing is sick I must say I will surely check back in and see the end result it should be kick ***. Nice work by the way!

I want to make something custom like that now
Also, how do you get the mold out when you fiberglass? I'm assuming you do it in sections then mesh them all together and sand it down???

Last edited by CRF250rider1000; 03-13-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by CRF250rider1000
Man that thing is sick I must say I will surely check back in and see the end result it should be kick ***. Nice work by the way!

I want to make something custom like that now
Also, how do you get the mold out when you fiberglass? I'm assuming you do it in sections then mesh them all together and sand it down???
well im hopeing i can just pry it out in one piece but i may cut the foam in pieces if i have to, if i can get it out in one piece i can easily make more if not then this will most likely be the only one i make unless if someone want to pay me some big bucks

Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
well im hopeing i can just pry it out in one piece but i may cut the foam in pieces if i have to, if i can get it out in one piece i can easily make more if not then this will most likely be the only one i make unless if someone want to pay me some big bucks
Hmm you may be able to get it off in one piece if there is no bottom to it. I was assuming that you would maybe cut the block in half horizontally and do each half, then pull those apart and mesh the two halves together. That would be the easiest way I could think of to get a sealed box with bottom

Old 03-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Hmm you may be able to get it off in one piece if there is no bottom to it. I was assuming that you would maybe cut the block in half horizontally and do each half, then pull those apart and mesh the two halves together. That would be the easiest way I could think of to get a sealed box with bottom
The "body line" in the box would make it damn near impossible to slide out through the bottom anyways.

I like the body line thing, and looks like you are putting alot of thought into it before you make it! I wish i spent more time figuring out what i wanted when i was building my box initially.
-Patrick

Old 03-14-2008, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
The "body line" in the box would make it damn near impossible to slide out through the bottom anyways.

I like the body line thing, and looks like you are putting alot of thought into it before you make it! I wish i spent more time figuring out what i wanted when i was building my box initially.
-Patrick
o maybe i forgot to mention that im only doing 2 layers of the thin fiberglass weave you get from walmart then popping it off and doing mat and some very thick weave on the inside. i think doing this will make it strong enough to keep its shape after removing the foam but still some what flexible, then the thicker glass on the inside will make it strong

trust me i wish i spent this much time thinking about this before i tried this the first time, 2 years ago.....so this has been rolling around in my head for 2+ years now

yeah no bottom, im making that separate, and i do have a very good reason for this but its kinda complicated to describe

ok now i need some oppinions should i port it or seal it?

also does anyone have the length and width of a flow through shifter bezel?

Old 03-14-2008, 02:09 AM
Suspended
I say sealed, and its nice to see one of your ideas actually going past the thought stage. I remember when you were gonna do something sorta like this and you made the fiberglass cup holders............and that was it. And it never progressed

Oh yeah diggin the hulk arm to man!

Old 03-14-2008, 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by alomar
I say sealed, and its nice to see one of your ideas actually going past the thought stage. I remember when you were gonna do something sorta like this and you made the fiberglass cup holders............and that was it. And it never progressed

Oh yeah diggin the hulk arm to man!
hey now i had more then that

Old 03-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Suspended
I stand corrected, though I never saw that part, I only saw the cup holder

Old 03-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by alomar
I stand corrected, though I never saw that part, I only saw the cup holder
Any pics of the cup holder? Man you guys are making me want to do some kind of console now It would have to be out of MDF though and I would like to put a big storage compartment in it with a couple cup holders I'll see if I can whip up a 3D model real quick I'm used to NX5 now so Rhino will be a pain. I wish I had inventor 3D on this computer then I could whip it out in no time. Oh well I'll try to get a rough model done here soon

Here ya go somethin quick
I just put it in those colors to show it a little better and also the flat piece represents the dash. I don't want the console to go all the way to the dash just a litthe ways past the seat. Doesn't seem like it would be too bad of a build with wood maybe it will be a summer project. Then I'll have to wrap it in speaker carpeting to match the back. I don't know how I would do it yet because the jumb seat moves with the right seat right now I'm sure there is some way to do it since I have seen a lot of people switch in center consoles.

Last edited by CRF250rider1000; 03-14-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:21 PM

It's looking real good! Wish I was half as talented as you guys that do these build your own custom mods! Anyway....

Old 03-14-2008, 12:40 PM
coming along really well!

Old 03-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Any pics of the cup holder? Man you guys are making me want to do some kind of console now It would have to be out of MDF though and I would like to put a big storage compartment in it with a couple cup holders I'll see if I can whip up a 3D model real quick I'm used to NX5 now so Rhino will be a pain. I wish I had inventor 3D on this computer then I could whip it out in no time. Oh well I'll try to get a rough model done here soon

Here ya go somethin quick
I just put it in those colors to show it a little better and also the flat piece represents the dash. I don't want the console to go all the way to the dash just a litthe ways past the seat. Doesn't seem like it would be too bad of a build with wood maybe it will be a summer project. Then I'll have to wrap it in speaker carpeting to match the back. I don't know how I would do it yet because the jumb seat moves with the right seat right now I'm sure there is some way to do it since I have seen a lot of people switch in center consoles.
i cant seem to find a pic of the cup holders alone but here it is inside the stock ones

that console looks good and simple to make especially if your using mdf

btw i prefer solidworks check this out
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...NGINE_vid1.flv

Quick Reply: custom fiberglass console 2.0 build up