2004 - 2008 F-150

New Champion plug coming for 3v 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New Champion plug coming for 3v 5.4

Just in case some of you guys don't frequent the "Engine" forum...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=318761

Scroll down towards the end, and there are some pics of the new plug.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
About time someone rescued us off of Gilligan's Island! Hats off to Champion!.....

Old 02-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds great. I'll probably go with these since I'm ready for a plug change.
I just looked at some parts stores online and no one has these listed yet

Another thread someone stated there is a new TSB for engines built before 10/7/07, does anyone have info on it?

I wonder why Autolite(the original plug maker) is taking so long to step up to the plate on this? Now there are 2 other companies making a 1 piece design you would think they would have been the first to make a change, unless it has something to do with Ford?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found what looks like to be the latest TSB. No mention of new or different plug designs for the prior to 10/7/07 guys

Just a new method of getting them out. Change at room temperature and using carburetor cleaner instead of kroil.

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...d/tsb/0819.pdf

Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, I have a copy of the TBS saved. Ford is thinking of everything they can short of a total plug redesign. Maybe they should go ahead and recommend the champion plugs and save themselves some trouble.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth
Yeah, I have a copy of the TBS saved. Ford is thinking of everything they can short of a total plug redesign. Maybe they should go ahead and recommend the champion plugs and save themselves some trouble.
The last thing FoMoCo will ever do is admitt or recommend to using another companies plug......If they were smart, they would come up with their own updated plug based on the Champion/Brisk design........that may happen. If I hear positive things about how the Champion plugs run in the 3v's, those will be going in my engine at the next plug change, if FORD has not updated their own plug!...........

Old 02-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dkstone05
I found what looks like to be the latest TSB. No mention of new or different plug designs for the prior to 10/7/07 guys

Just a new method of getting them out. Change at room temperature and using carburetor cleaner instead of kroil.

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...d/tsb/0819.pdf

Didn't the older TSB's say to do it with the engine warm (not hot)?? Maybe it's just a play on words. "Room temperature" = warm ??

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bamorris2
Didn't the older TSB's say to do it with the engine warm (not hot)?? Maybe it's just a play on words. "Room temperature" = warm ??
You are correct. The previous TSB indicated that the motor needed to be started and ran until warm. Then back the plugs out 1/4 turn and lubricate with Kroil.

Contrast that with this latest TSB which says the motor needs to be ambient temp (room temp.) and use carb cleaner.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bamorris2
Germans drink beer at room temperature, but room temperature there (at the bar) is in the low 40's.

Quick Reply: New Champion plug coming for 3v 5.4