Champion Develops "FIX" Plug for 5.4L 3 valves!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Champion Develops "FIX" Plug for 5.4L 3 valves!

Hey guys, I know a bunch of you have the Ford 5.4L 3-valve, and the many plug problems that comes along with it, I have a buddy that works for Federal-Mogul, (which owns Champion Spark Plug). Anyway we have had many discussions, and I kept telling him they need to make a solution, so I can buy a new truck! “they are working on it” he always says ……. Well - years later ……. They did it! He is in his annual sales meetings this week, and word has it they will be announcing the release of a solution to Autolite's two-piece shell.

I don’t have all the details, but I do know the shell is a machined “one-piece design” so it is better able to survive in the engine as well as during removal. I pretty sure he said it’s double platinum too!

I think they are going to publicly announce its release in the next week or two.

He said NAPA is their biggest plug customer, so will be on of the first to get it.

Maybe I’ll update my corral and get one of these 3-vales now……………

Last edited by Ed753; 01-29-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed753
. They did it! He is in his annual sales meetings this week, and word has it they will be announcing the release of a solution to Autolite's two-piece shell.

I don’t have all the details, but I do know the shell is a machined “one-piece design” so it is better able to survive in the engine as well as during removal. I pretty sure he said it’s double platinum too!

Autolites ? Why Autolites ? Do those even work in the 3 valve 5four?

I know they made my 2 valve run like sh^t. Those Freakin plugs cost me $50 and a days wages replacing them with Motorcraft.

Those were double platinums. You couldn't pay me to run Autolites..

Maybe Honeywell will be able to fix the Motorcraft plugs as well - Since they currently manufacture Autolites anyway..

Last edited by jbrew; 01-29-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Keep us informed, God knows Ford should have jumped on this and fixed it.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting development if it pans out!...........

Old 01-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lenore
Keep us informed, God knows Ford should have jumped on this and fixed it.
you are right, but they were too busy redesigning the new 2009 abortion of a body style makeover F150

Old 01-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Autolites ? Why Autolites ? Do those even work in the 3 valve 5four?

I know they made my 2 valve run like sh^t. Those Freakin plugs cost me $50 and a days wages replacing them with Motorcraft.

Those were double platinums. You couldn't pay me to run Autolites..

Maybe Honeywell will be able to fix the Motorcraft plugs as well - Since they currently manufacture Autolites anyway..
Autolite is Honeywell (Honeywell is the Parent Company) they make the current 3-valve plug, it is sold under the Motorcraft and Autolite Brands, its the same manufacturer, and the same process, I believe the Aftermarket Autolite is single platinum to cut costs.

Nobody else has been able to make something that would hold-up, Denso, NGK, Bosch, Beru, you name it, nobody!

I'd assume this new plug from Champion is going to be expensive, because of the one-piece machined shell, but a few extra bucks beats pulling cylinder heads.....

I called the Ford Dealer today, see what kind of deal my honey-saleswomen can work up! I'm ready!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Is this really rocket science here??? I think Brisk is on the right track. They just need to fine tune their plug.

http://www.briskracing.com/product.p...age=1&featured

How strong would a welded plug be vs. a machined 1 piece plug? The Motorcraft and Autolite's are a two piece with a crimp joint.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ed753
Autolite is Honeywell (Honeywell is the Parent Company) they make the current 3-valve plug, it is sold under the Motorcraft and Autolite Brands, its the same manufacturer, and the same process, I believe the Aftermarket Autolite is single platinum to cut costs.

Nobody else has been able to make something that would hold-up, Denso, NGK, Bosch, Beru, you name it, nobody!

I'd assume this new plug from Champion is going to be expensive, because of the one-piece machined shell, but a few extra bucks beats pulling cylinder heads.....

I called the Ford Dealer today, see what kind of deal my honey-saleswomen can work up! I'm ready!
Honeywell makes Autolite & Motorcraft, I know that. When I had problems with the my 5four running Autolites. I was directed to complain to the manufactuer "Honeywell" - I wanted my money back. They said it was basically my fault for purchasing Autolites as they are not designed per FORD spec . Advised me Motorcraft Spark Plugs are FORD spec and to refer to my owners manual.

So I'm kind of confused by your post? Actually, I think you are. - Or someones been Bullsh^ting you.

BTW - I know what I had, like I said -Double Platinums not Single Same Company - Different plugs - Different process (you might want to keep that in mind)

Heres my 2 valve "DOUBLE" Platinums w/40 miles on them before they died -

Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Jim, you are nitpicking - I'm confident that the OP said "Autolite" as an umbrella statement covering Honeywell-made spark plugs for this particular application. Whether they are branded Autolite or Motorcraft really doesn't matter when we are discussing this particular topic - 5.4 3V spark plugs - the OEM plugs are a crappy design, period.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't put a champion plug in my lawn mower.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:52 PM
glc
I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that - yet. Let's see how these particular plugs work first.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by glc
Jim, you are nitpicking - I'm confident that the OP said "Autolite" as an umbrella statement covering Honeywell-made spark plugs for this particular application. Whether they are branded Autolite or Motorcraft really doesn't matter when we are discussing this particular topic - 5.4 3V spark plugs - the OEM plugs are a crappy design, period.

Yea I know he is talking about the 3 valve. I don't get it - FM Champions ??? Well, Autolite's were never quite right for these modulars. What's changed? Honeywell mislead vender's into thinking they were the same as Motorcraft. Guess who suffered - quite a few vehicle owners. I was scammed in this way.

If Federal Mogul has a good idea, maybe they should help redesign the Motorcraft plug since those plugs atleast worked in our motors.. Honeywell couldn't design a Ford plug on there own to work in the 2 valve without Ford holding there hands in order to get the Motorcraft build done.

If OP's statement was a generic one or if that's what's meant by "an umbrella statement" If there out to help everyone. That wasn't very clear to me.

His statement can be taken in more ways than one . Depends how you read it.

I mean common ... - Champion ??? What are they really trying to do here?

Yea , I'll run right down and order my truck

glc - I think it's crap...But, that's just my opinion.

Last edited by jbrew; 01-30-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
BTW - I know what I had, like I said -Double Platinums not Single Same Company - Different plugs - Different process (you might want to keep that in mind)
Different plugs, same process, adding platinum to the ground electrode is just has one more step involved.

Originally Posted by glc
Thank you, I am referring to the "HT" high thread plug here, I did say 3-valve.................

No intention of getting in a whiz-match here, but for you to show me your 2-valve plugs is a bit _________. (Fill in the blank)

A standard 3/4" reach plug has a one piece stamped shell, the 3-Valve OE is 2-piece, thus the problem.

Soon as I get my hand on a set of these, I'll be a lot more comfortable buying one of these 3-valve engines.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:16 PM

Boy , that cleared it up

Old 01-30-2008, 04:01 PM
glc
Sorry, Jim - the point I was trying to make is this is not a Motorcraft vs. Autolite thread, it's a promising looking solution to a basic design flaw in making a 2 piece spark plug that is developing quite a history of coming apart. The plugs coming out of the Honeywell factory for this particular engine could say Rotunda or Prestone on them for all that matters, they are seriously flawed, period!

Quick Reply: Champion Develops "FIX" Plug for 5.4L 3 valves!