2004 - 2008 F-150

Yellow Top Batteries, whos got em?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow Top Batteries, whos got em?

Well I have heard good things about these batteries, and I am coming on 3 years on my truck. So I am looking for a better battery and that being said you cant go wrong with a the red/yellow tops.

I want to know what you guys think about them??

Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 PM
red top battery imo is ****.. had it and only lasted a year.
they are not meant for anything other then starter battery - no systems.

yellowtop i've had in my past cars and have found to be great, they are recommended for cars / trucks with systems as well. solid performer with good cranking amps.

its buy it from costco or sams club.. they're cheapest

Old 02-05-2008, 11:27 PM
your red top only lasted a year??? i thought these last longer then the stock batteries??

Old 02-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ballin STX
your red top only lasted a year??? i thought these last longer then the stock batteries??
yep... ownd it for one year then it wouldn't hold a charge.

yellow top yes... they last and are meant to work with a system and as a starter battery.
redtop is known to **** on itself if used other then just a starter battery.

go yellow...

Old 02-05-2008, 11:37 PM
It's on my summer list O crap also

Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't know about the red vs. yellow debate, but I can tell you this, Optima batteries a far superior to the traditional style battery, hands down.

I used to live in Phx AZ in the early nineties and I bought a used 87 t-bird that had a yellow top in it for 3 years before i got it, and I drove for another year in the desert heat, before moving back to OH, then I drove it for 3 more years up here all with the same yellow top. Now the average lifespan of a traditional battery in the desert heat is a year and a half, no matter who made it, or how long the warranty was. But an optima lasts a lot longer because of the design of the battery cells. A traditional battery uses alternating flat plates that are stacked to form a cell with a thin mica film layer to seperate the lead and nickel plates. Over time the plates will warp when subjected to high heat, eventually the plates will warp far enough to touch each other creating a dead short, killing the battery. The critical temp that kills these batteries is about 120 F very easy to reach in the desert heat. An Optima battery uses a coiled cell design, thats why they look like a six pack, very hard to warp under high heat conditions. Optimas also use a gel type electrolyte that does not leak out or evaporate, a traditional battery uses a liquid electrolyte that can spill and evaporate.

When I have to replace my battery on my dime, it will definitly be an optima battery.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 02-06-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:06 AM
I have a yellowtop in my truck currently, only been in there a few months so can't comment there. Ran one in my old s10 for quite a while with a larger stereo in it and had no issues.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
I don't know about the red vs. yellow debate, but I can tell you this, Optima batteries a far superior to the traditional style battery, hands down.

I used to live in Phx AZ in the early nineties and I bought a used 87 t-bird that had a yellow top in it for 3 years before i got it, and I drove for another year in the desert heat, before moving back to OH, then I drove it for 3 more years up here all with the same yellow top. Now the average lifespan of a traditional battery in the desert heat is a year and a half, no matter who made it, or how long the warranty was. But an optima lasts a lot longer because of the design of the battery cells. A traditional battery uses alternating flat plates that are stacked to form a cell with a thin mica film layer to seperate the lead and nickel plates. Over time the plates will warp when subjected to high heat, eventually the plates will warp far enough to touch each other creating a dead short, killing the battery. The critical temp that kills these batteries is about 120 F very easy to reach in the desert heat. An Optima battery uses a coiled cell design, thats why they look like a six pack, very hard to warp under high heat conditions. Optimas also use a gel type electrolyte that does not leak out or evaporate, a traditional battery uses a liquid electrolyte that can spill and evaporate.

When I have to replace my battery on my dime, it will definitely be an optima battery.

Thanks for the info man, I am going to start looking and see where I can find the best price. A buddy of mine quoted me 130$ for the yellow top and he said that was pretty good.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Try Costco as stated above I have seen them there

Old 02-06-2008, 12:37 AM
I had a yellow top in my F150 for 3 years and it never felled to perform better than expected....now its in my Jeep and is more impressive with the winch, stereo, lights and fairly low amp alternator. I am 100% happy in everyway with it!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by CRF250rider1000
Try Costco as stated above I have seen them there

what about sams??

I have a gift card at sams I need to use. you just reminded me of it! lol

Old 02-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by Ballin STX
what about sams??

I have a gift card at sams I need to use. you just reminded me of it! lol
Sams Club Sells them too

Old 02-06-2008, 01:19 AM
red tops suck. I had 2 both wouldn't hold a charge at all. Course I was guilty of letting them go completely dead but still. When you pay $150 for a battery it shouldn't go dead sitting for 2 days. I have a yellow top now and it's been doing great even with all this extra crap on my truck.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:25 AM
??? maybe its a year that they came out.. ive had my red top for about 4years now.. to my lightning,swapped in the red tonka, then swapped to this one. i do have 2 10" JL audio subs and a 1500wat kicker amp, ive had that system for about 3years...

Old 02-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by Grafix Ink.
red top battery imo is ****.. had it and only lasted a year.
they are not meant for anything other then starter battery - no systems.

yellowtop i've had in my past cars and have found to be great, they are recommended for cars / trucks with systems as well. solid performer with good cranking amps.

its buy it from costco or sams club.. they're cheapest
Ummm.... considering that's a battery's main purpose, than I say they serve their purpose.

Quick Reply: Yellow Top Batteries, whos got em?