2004 - 2008 F-150

FORD really has no choice with our 5.4 3v's!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hllon4whls
I appreciate the info provided by the site and the fact that the truck design is 4 years old now.

I agree with a lot of the other posters. It happens.

There is not a full size truck out there without a similar issue. I look at the F150 for what it is. A great 1/2 ton pickup. I specifically didnt by a 250 because of the info that I found about the 6.0 reliability.

The 2006- down chevrolets have intermediate steering shaft problems. The cummins of the 2000 area have fuel pump problems that leaves you dead on the road and over $1500 to fix. If we all chime in, we could go on and on.

Fact is that there is not a perfect vehicle out there.
Well stated,
Fact is All of the big three are having differential problems as well.

I thought the whole Explorer thing got blown out of porportion. It was under inflated tires, and sure the Wilderness tires ,as a characteristic, probably blew more frequently when underinflated compared to another tire . Any tire can blow out the sidewall and seperate treads when run underinflated in hot weather. As far as barrel rolling vehicles, you can take any non independant rear suspended S series Blazer (not just an Explorer) and literally make it roll over in a streight flat parking lot by just gassing and cutting the steering wheel till one rear spring is unloaded and the other side is full loaded .

Last edited by Roodoo2; 12-06-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roodoo2
Ford is not worried about some piddley property damage issues, when it comes to people gettng hurt then it is big money.
Come on now, does any body remember back in 2001 all of the 5.4 motors having major rotating assembly issues. If you ever visiited the dealer service dept. you would have seen at least two or three motor jobs in there. Ford will replace the motor. How about all of the 6.0 diesels in 2004-07 that are absolute crap... same thing. How about almost the whole GM product line with leaking intakes because of plastic intakes or either the silicone RTV gaskets (no real gasket in there folks) look how many motors took a dump because of that... ok, did GM make any of those good when they went out of warrenty,, nope.. how about GM trannys and the Lock up solenoid o rings on OBD 2 vehicles. FAIL just out of warrenty.. Heck GM even has admitted the anitlock brake controllers on their trucks and suv are defective, they never fixed an dang one that was out of warrenty,,, although they did talk about reimbursing owners for buying new ones two years ago,, never materialized because GM was about to go belly up, they would have if that would have happened.
Ok I just named some much more major concerns than broken spark plugs that these guys have not moved on so ... what a waste of time even expecting they will make good on it. Again it is not safetly related, is it a characteristic not a defect. GEESSH how many times have water pump bolts or thermostat bolts broke off when attempting to remove them, regardless of age..how about Ford OHV Windsors .. that long water pump bolt that goes thru the timing cover,, almost half the time it is corroded and breaks or has to be rethreaded.... If you are carefull, ODDS ARE, you will not break them , but if they do.. stuff happens... There are a few ways to remedy broken plugs without removing the head, thus reducing the odds of a major repair even further.
I agree 100%. I also find it troublesome when other manufacturers have similar problems and folks on this site immediately brand them "junk." Although I love my Ford, Toyota is doing a much better job of fixing their Tundra problems than Ford has fixed the numerous problems with mine. Take my cold weather intake whistle problem for instance....

Old 12-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I agree 100%. I also find it troublesome when other manufacturers have similar problems and folks on this site immediately brand them "junk." Although I love my Ford, Toyota is doing a much better job of fixing their Tundra problems than Ford has fixed the numerous problems with mine. Take my cold weather intake whistle problem for instance....
Exactly what I stated earlier.

It's that whole "throwing rocks in a glass house" aspect. I have stated this numerous times before about the Tundra. ( only because it's seems to be the manufacturer that is a threat of late around here )

Old 12-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Another difference amongst manufacturers is the way they address the problems. Got one of the Tundra engines with a bad camshaft? You'll get a new engine. If we had bad cams in ours, Ford would probably (reluctantly) send you a new camshaft - maybe even including instuctions on how to install it yourself. This, because they'd delayed admitting there was a problem until you were out of warranty. You should have seen what I went through on my '99 with the famous door cracks!

Old 12-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Another difference amongst manufacturers is the way they address the problems. Got one of the Tundra engines with a bad camshaft? You'll get a new engine. If we had bad cams in ours, Ford would probably (reluctantly) send you a new camshaft - maybe even including instuctions on how to install it yourself. This, because they'd delayed admitting there was a problem until you were out of warranty. You should have seen what I went through on my '99 with the famous door cracks!
Kinda sounds like my 00 Expy that started rusting in 03 and Ford wouldn't cover their "corrision" warranty because the door and hood hasn't rusted right thru yet.

Mine isn't an isolated case either.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

FORD really has no choice...

Sure they do. They have made their choice abundantly clear: Ignore it, and it will go away (along with many loyal customers, our resale values, and their sales & market share).

Old 12-07-2007, 11:33 AM
MSH
///

Last edited by MSH; 03-10-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by MSH
Be sure to let Ford know your thoughts on the subject

That's the only way they will change the way they deal with these problems... if die hard Ford truck owners start to tell them how it is. Just because you own or drive a Ford doesn't mean you can't question the quality of the truck they make or the way they deal with customer /manufacturing issues.
Oh Ford may hear my thoughts on the subject - when I break my string of 7 Ford trucks and buy something else. They haven't listened yet.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Roodoo2
Well stated,
Fact is All of the big three are having differential problems as well.

I thought the whole Explorer thing got blown out of porportion. It was under inflated tires, and sure the Wilderness tires ,as a characteristic, probably blew more frequently when underinflated compared to another tire . Any tire can blow out the sidewall and seperate treads when run underinflated in hot weather. As far as barrel rolling vehicles, you can take any non independant rear suspended S series Blazer (not just an Explorer) and literally make it roll over in a streight flat parking lot by just gassing and cutting the steering wheel till one rear spring is unloaded and the other side is full loaded .
the tire thing did get blown way way out of proportion. yes there was a tire defect. unfortunately these tires also happened to be on the Explorer. then people in the hot states (Texas mostly) were driving with about 20 psi in their tires.

couple the low tire PSI, 100+ temperatures and high speed side/side instability and you are bound to have an issue. and tire will fail in these conditions...but the Firestone defect made it that much worse

the glass house is a very good comparison. people hear Ford sucks (or Toyota) and believe and then pass the word without truly studying the matter.

just like the Spark Plug issue. some people are just hysterical by nature and cannot wait to tell you the newest disaster theory

EDIT: by the way...about 99% of those people who did crash also happened to be speeding on the highway at 60+ mph. I wonder if that was a factor (fyi: sarcasm)

Last edited by Tylus; 12-08-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
Just like the Spark Plug issue. Some people are just hysterical by nature and cannot wait to tell you the newest disaster theory.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:01 PM
the glass house is a very good comparison. people hear Ford sucks (or Toyota) and believe and then pass the word without truly studying the matter.

just like the Spark Plug issue. some people are just hysterical by nature and cannot wait to tell you the newest disaster theory
Yep, but you can replace "spark plug" with "tailgates" or "camshafts" or "transmissions".

EDIT: by the way...about 99% of those people who did crash also happened to be speeding on the highway at 60+ mph. I wonder if that was a factor (fyi: sarcasm)
I guess you would have to ask the people who actually survived! ( sarcasm also )

Old 12-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Suspended
Oh Ford may hear my thoughts on the subject - when I break my string of 7 Ford trucks and buy something else. They haven't listened yet.
Out of the frying pan into the fire. I will take spark plug issues over the issues the Tundra is having.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
Yep, but you can replace "spark plug" with "tailgates" or "camshafts" or "transmissions".

I guess you would have to ask the people who actually survived! ( sarcasm also )
Aghh Smiggs we meet again.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by scott1981
Aghh Smiggs we meet again.
Yah, it's a slow day.

I was just helping to solidify my glass house comment.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
Yah, it's a slow day.

I was just helping to solidify my glass house comment.
I hear ya, not much going on here in Houston. You missed the Tundra troll we had in here last night starting threads and bashing Fords. Went to about 3 pages in a couple minutes

Quick Reply: FORD really has no choice with our 5.4 3v's!