2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 5.4 no spark on entire left bank

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 5.4 no spark on entire left bank

Anyone heard of this issue?
My friend has an 05 5.4 in a super cab and his check engine light comes on, motor starts running like crap until it finnaly dies. He has it towed to the local ford stealer and they tell him that the compression is low on one cylinder and it will cost about $3000 to repair. I tell him to get a second opinion and he gets it towed to an independant garage and they say they found one plug broken off in the head. There is no way the dealer even did a compression check, they just broke off a plug and never told him about it just told him it needed major repair. Long story short, one bank has no spark. Anyone have any idea what would cause an entire bank to go out? Also, are the plug retrieval kits a dealer item only or are independant shops able to do the repair also? TIA

Old 11-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Au contraire, ye of little faith. The dealer can indeed do a compression test without removing the plugs or coils. It's called a relative compression test, where the scan tool monitors cranking RPM against firing order. A cylinder with an obvious mechanical problem is gonna have a different cranking speed than all the other cylinders.

What they probably did was run the relative compression test, saw a cylinder had a problem, then went to remove the plug and do a manual compression test. Upon removal, the plug broke, the half *** tech said f!$@ it, told the service advisor that the truck has an engine problem, it needs a cylinder head, long block, whatever, and washed his hands of it. He was banking that your buddy would go ahead with the repairs, so the broken plug could be removed while the engine was apart anyways.

I dunno about the no spark thing. I'd work on getting what's left of that spark plug out and checking compression with a gauge.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a nightmare, that sucks. I have a feeling those spark plugs are going to bite a lot of ppl in the **** over the next decade.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
What a nightmare, that sucks. I have a feeling those spark plugs are going to bite a lot of ppl in the **** over the next decade.
I rather have my plugs stuck than being shot out.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
Au contraire, ye of little faith. The dealer can indeed do a compression test without removing the plugs or coils. It's called a relative compression test, where the scan tool monitors cranking RPM against firing order. A cylinder with an obvious mechanical problem is gonna have a different cranking speed than all the other cylinders.

What they probably did was run the relative compression test, saw a cylinder had a problem, then went to remove the plug and do a manual compression test. Upon removal, the plug broke, the half *** tech said f!$@ it, told the service advisor that the truck has an engine problem, it needs a cylinder head, long block, whatever, and washed his hands of it. He was banking that your buddy would go ahead with the repairs, so the broken plug could be removed while the engine was apart anyways.

I dunno about the no spark thing. I'd work on getting what's left of that spark plug out and checking compression with a gauge.

THIS is why Quintin is THE MAN!!! Having a tech, who knows what he's doing, on these boards is fantastic.

Sorry I don't have anything useful to contribute to the problem at hand.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you lost one whole side look at grounds I believe they are commonly grounded or I should say the positive side is common any how I would start their did the truck sit for awhile me be mice or other animal eat some wire

Old 11-02-2007, 06:23 PM
TNC
Isn't it under warranty?

Quick Reply: 2005 5.4 no spark on entire left bank