2004 - 2008 F-150

Plastic bed rails...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by ameration
How well do you think this would work on the FX4 plastic fender flares?
I think it would work fine on the flares, just be prepared to redo them every couple of weeks.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my flares are fading too on my 05......I put ArmourAll on them,but they still fade to a grey color soon.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:50 PM
When I had my bed Line-x'ed (different brand, but same concept) the guy told me he couldn't do the bed rails. He told me he's tried doing them but when you take the molded plastic caps off, the actual bed rails are not smooth as they transition from the top to the fender area. There is a little lip, as the plastic bed rails sit flush with the metal when installed. He said it just looks kind of crappy. If anyone has found diamond plate bed rails for '05's, let me know!

Old 10-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by keith61760
I just painted mine with Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating. It was recently done so I am not sure yet how it will hold up, but so far so good. I did the rails and the bumper cap. I sanded the rails with 220 grit, used Duplicolor Filler Primer, sanded the primer with 600 Grit then painted. This is actually the second time I did it. The first time I didn't prep and the paint peeled up at the bottom edges.

Before

After

Your door trim looks awesome, are they painted? That looks 10x better than the factory dull finish.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by SVT Pilot
Your door trim looks awesome, are they painted? That looks 10x better than the factory dull finish.
I painted the Door handle buckets and the cowl on the windshield. The door trim is the stock trim.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by SVT Pilot
Thats how 2004's were..

Old 10-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Painted mine this weekend with a rattle can. Turned out pretty good I think.

before

Tailgate piece done.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Sides done.

and yes the truck is dirty...

Old 10-08-2007, 08:52 AM
i saw ones simialr X liner and i asked a guy at red light he told me he used Hericliner on it and it works pretty good .

I ll try rattle spray can

I m thinking maybe get me texture black spray can.

ONe question how the heck did you remove rails and bumper?? how to??

YOMAN!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by YOMAN
ONe question how the heck did you remove rails and bumper?? how to??
YOMAN!
The rails and bumper have plastic tabs that hold them in.
For the rails just gently pull on one end and work your way to the other end. A couple tabs will prob break but not a big deal. I had several break.

For the bumper cover, thats a little harder. There are tabs that you have to pinch together with pliers to get it off. Take the license plate lights and back up sensors off first. The lights just pop out. The reverse sensors you have to pull the sensor out first and then the houseing. The housing goes through the cover into the bumper. Then crawl under the bumper and pinch the tabs. Having something to wed under the bumper cover helps to keep the tabs from locking back into place. I broke one or two and have had no problems since I put them back on.

I painted mine with Duplicolr Truck Bed Liner out of a rattle can. I primed it with Duplicolor filler primer first. So far so good.

Pics of the rails and bumper with the caps off.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:32 AM
So far my rails have held up since painting with duplicolor truck bed coating. The first time it flaked off the bottom edge. I re-painted and now it has held up much longer. I guess I messed up on prep and application the first time. If I remember I'll update next summer

Old 10-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking when I do the two tone about painting the bedrail, and tailgate caps the secondary color as well...

I think that would really set the truck off, I just need to be prepared to keep them touched up is all...

Old 10-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by keith61760
I just painted mine with Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating. It was recently done so I am not sure yet how it will hold up, but so far so good. I did the rails and the bumper cap. I sanded the rails with 220 grit, used Duplicolor Filler Primer, sanded the primer with 600 Grit then painted. This is actually the second time I did it. The first time I didn't prep and the paint peeled up at the bottom edges.

Before

After

That is just sick man...

If the stuff flakes again, strip it on down, and use adhesion promoter. Remember you are painting plastics, not metal.

I was wondering, did you get PTM buckets, or are those painted O.E. door handle buckets with Chrome overlays on the handles?

I never really gave much thought to PTM door handles on Arizona Beige, but that looks sweet!

Old 10-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by dbhost
That is just sick man...

If the stuff flakes again, strip it on down, and use adhesion promoter. Remember you are painting plastics, not metal.

I was wondering, did you get PTM buckets, or are those painted O.E. door handle buckets with Chrome overlays on the handles?

I never really gave much thought to PTM door handles on Arizona Beige, but that looks sweet!
I used adhesion promoter the first time on the rails. I think I prepped better the second time.

I painted the stock buckets and the wiper cowl myself with Duplicolor spray paint. I am getting ready to redo the handles and paint the mirrors. I have been practicing on an old handle and have gotten it to look real good. The handle is a replacement I ordered off ebay.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had to replace my tailgate cap because I removed it on one occasion, broke a few tabs and it would never stay on or support weight without falling off again. Be careful!!! It flew off on the freeway eventually.

Quick Reply: Plastic bed rails...