2004 - 2008 F-150

Sylvania Fog Lights for 2004

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sylvania Fog Lights for 2004

This past weekend I upgraded to the Sylvania Headlight, turn signal, and fog lights. But I uncovered an issue with the Sylvania website... they list 2 different versions of the fog light bulb (guess which one I got)

Originally Posted by www.sylvania.com
2004 FORD F150
Fog/Driving light
9145ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H1-55W
H1ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H1XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm

I bought the H1ST bulbs... but the do not fit my truck. Luckily AutoZone would exchange them for me (I had already opened one bulb) and let me get the 9145ST bulbs.

If you have the Rectangular Fog Lights then be sure to get the 9145 bulb. I'm just guessing here... but maybe the H1 bulb is for the round fog lights? Did any of the 2004 trucks have the round headlight?

If you want to be totally sure, just check your old bulbs before you go!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know why you would have gotten the H1ST bulbs in the first place. They (as you found out) will not fit. Yes, the 9145ST is designated in the catalog and will fit right in that housing. What many folks don't know is that a 9005ST also fits - and has about twice the light output. Many of us have swapped out the stockers for these. One additional hint - go for the Silverstar Ultras instead of the regular Silverstars. The regular ones are about a 12 month bulb - if you're lucky. The Ultra's are supposed to last longer.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Don't know why you would have gotten the H1ST bulbs in the first place.
did you read the post???
Sylvania lists both bulbs. Crazy me, I believed them... thinking that they would fit.

I just wanted to warn others that might go off the manufacturers word. I did a quick search and didn't see where anyone talked about it.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Question

Originally Posted by 2stroked
...What many folks don't know is that a 9005ST also fits - and has about twice the light output...

I thought there were posts some time back of folks complaining that the 9005ST affected the lense on the fog light due to the exccess heat of the brighter bulb???? Could be wrong though, don't remember exactly....

Old 08-20-2007, 12:40 PM
The owners manual has all the right bulb sizes for your truck... I used that reference when i did the SilverStar upgrade... Although I did 9005 for fogs so I had a little extra light

You'll love Sylvania though

Edit:
The lenses will melt IF you leave them on for long periods of time... but a 30 minute drive won't kill the lenses...

Last edited by DTheobald; 08-20-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by rms8
I thought there were posts some time back of folks complaining that the 9005ST affected the lense on the fog light due to the exccess heat of the brighter bulb???? Could be wrong though, don't remember exactly....
On some it has caused that problem. In some cases melting the wiring harness for the bulb also. YMMV. I just used the 9145ST, they work fine. For both the H13/9008 and the 9145, they do not make an Ultra yet.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by DTheobald
Edit:
The lenses will melt IF you leave them on for long periods of time... but a 30 minute drive won't kill the lenses...

WOW, that sounds like a pretty risky gamble then....Why would you risk damage to the lenses and the harness? I'll stick with the normal output bulbs.

Seriously, who monitors how long they've driven so they know if they need to shut off the fogs to prevent damage to the lenses....

Old 08-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
For both the H13/9008 and the 9145, they do not make an Ultra yet.

The "Ultra" ? Is this a newer, "better" Silverestar? If it's supposed to be better, how so?

Old 08-20-2007, 01:29 PM
If you guys are looking for the ultimate bulbs for the foglamps check out the HIR 9011 bulbs.

Halogen Infrared Reflecting = HIR

HIR > Silverstar

Old 08-20-2007, 01:35 PM
The "Ultra" ? Is this a newer, "better" Silverestar? If it's supposed to be better, how so?
Yes, as to how much better, not sure, haven't ever had them yet, but have checked their site about them.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
I contacted Steve at Sylvania about this about a month back as I was interested in upgrading and curious.

He told me there was minimal difference in brightness but a substantial difference in light output.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:53 PM
WOW, that sounds like a pretty risky gamble then....Why would you risk damage to the lenses and the harness? I'll stick with the normal output bulbs.

Seriously, who monitors how long they've driven so they know if they need to shut off the fogs to prevent damage to the lenses....
I hadn't had any problems with them before I had taken my trip to Texas...I am in a city and can be from one side of town to the other in no more than 30 minutes... So i didn't have to worry about driving with them on for too long.. My trip was driving from Las Vegas to Austin Tx during the night... We had them on for close to five hours... which is not normal driving conditions... any light would get hot after that length of staying on, and when i was half way there I had noticed the lense had started to melt......Its nothing noticable unless your two feet away from the truck.. Plus, the fogs aren't going to get used anytime soon, anyway... once I get my bullbar and lights mounted

Old 08-20-2007, 03:34 PM
The "melting lens" issue seems to be more common on the '06 and up fogs which have a smaller, round housing. (Less place for the additional heat to dissipate.) I have the '04 - '05 fogs with the larger, rectangular housings and have had absolutely no problems.

As for the harness problems (notice how all problems seem to involve melting something?) , I think you'll find that most folks who had that problem got a little silly with wattage. The 9005 Silverstars draw only about 20 watts more per bulb than the 9145's. This doesn't seem to be enough to cause problems. If you plant 100 watt bulbs in there, you're going to melt everything!

Old 08-21-2007, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by Grubrunner
I contacted Steve at Sylvania about this about a month back as I was interested in upgrading and curious.

He told me there was minimal difference in brightness but a substantial difference in light output.
I'm gald someone picked up the typo in BOLD..... not!

I meant to say: He told me there was minimal difference in brightness but a substantial difference in light's life.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:42 AM
I didnt use Sylvania, but they were 6000k lights.

My 06 melted the center part of the lense. Then it started to screw up the rest of my lights... ie couldnt use brights, and would shut off standard lights. Removed and had no problems.

Quick Reply: Sylvania Fog Lights for 2004