2004 - 2008 F-150

Left F150

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of this reminds me of this ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaAB9RhoyJ8

I have owned 4 Ford trucks, and all have been FLAWLESS. I had my '02 Lariat 4x4, my '05 STX 4x2 S'cab, my '05 Lariat 4x2, and my '06 XLT 4x4 S'cab. I didn't have one single issue with any of those trucks (save for the leaky thrid brake light). Driveability wise, nothing. No problems whatsoever. I had an opportunity to look at a Tundra up close and personal when they brought one to our dealership to compare with the '08 Titan. Not only does Toyota over-hype what they have, and try to make themselves look superior, but they have crap safety ratings. I don't know about any of you, but when it comes to my family, I will continue to drive vehicles (Ford or not) that have nothing but a 5-star rating. I care too much about my family.

You know how they say the Tundra can pull the most weight? Yeah, when you compare apples to oranges. Their max tow capacity is achieved in the '07 Tundra Single Cab long bed with the 5.7L i-Force V8. Just the same as how Ford's max rating is achieved with the 5.4L Single Cab F-150 with the 8' bed and the Heavy Duty Payload Package. Guess which one tows more? F-150. Toyota makes it seem like their Crewmax is the one they used to get that tow rating. Lies. I'd love to see the looks on people's faces when they drive their new Tundras down to the RV store and get told "I'm sorry, you can't pull this much weight with that truck." Whaddya mean! It's a $50,000 Crewmax Limited 4x4, and it can only pull 8700 lbs. No thanks, I'd rather have a Super Duty for that price.

Toyota claims the largest brakes in the industry. They are the largest. But they don't tell you by how much. The Tundra's brakes are bigger than the Titan by 0.2". What a difference, eh?

Anyway, I'm done ranting. There's a reason Toyota continues to sell 20-30 thousand trucks a year in America and the Ford sells more than ten times that amount. And don't say fleet sales either, that's BS. Pound for pound, buck for buck, the Ford product is the most diverse one on the market as well as the most capable. You dont think so? Then, IMO, you have no business being here. Get in your Jap-crap and leave.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pinky44943
only 20 trucks had cam failures toyota found the prob and corrected it on the line unlike ford who knew they had rearend problems but kept building them to let the dealers take care of them, i guess quality is not job one quantity is.i didnt post because i didnt want to bring all of you down with my 04 problems.
It sounds like you had too much of the dealership koolaid when you picked up your new truck. Yota has known about the camshaft failures since Feb but still kept selling the 5.7 trucks to unwitting customers. Yes it's only 20 but for all the hype they put into the launch its 20 too many. Their idea of "correcting it" is to replace the engines after they blow. Hopefully your cams don't let go while you're in the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:06 AM

only 20 trucks had cam failures toyota found the prob and corrected it on the line unlike ford who knew they had rearend problems but kept building them to let the dealers take care of them, i guess quality is not job one quantity is.i didnt post because i didnt want to bring all of you down with my 04 problems.
well maybe you should have posted your problems, thats what this forum is for. there is tons of help around here, and you could easily have taken advantage of it. but instead, the one time you do post, you decide to post about your fondness of the tundra?? bad call. you must have been impressed by toyota's cute commercials about their manly new truck.

what is funny about those tundra commercials with the teter-toter and the deadwight pull is their behind the scenes videos. Toyota was so proud of these awesome commercials that they did behind the scenes videos on how they did them. every single vehicle used to construct the teter-toter and the deadwieght pull was a FORD. good move toyota.

a beastly new 5.7L engine that is advertised and made out to be indestructable. 2 months into sales: 37,000 tundras sold with the 5.7L and 20 trucks with camshaft failures. still no recall...(to compare, the 2008 Ford superduty had flaming tailpipes on 3 trucks out of the first 40,000 sold. there was an immediate recall). and this is toyota's entire new game, this engine. you think if toyota still used its 4.7L 280 HP engine that ANYONE would buy it?? no way.

a full size truck with 4 star crash test ratings?? no thanks.

towing 10,500 pounds with a 3 piece c-channel frame underneath? no thanks.

2000 pound payload? uh, the f150 can handle 3050. thats over 50% more.

and the extra 5000$ on the sticker price, for all this?? hmmmmmm

oh wait it comes standard with tailgate assist. so thats where the 5 grand went, i see...

however, toyota has definitely made a step up from its last tundra. it just still doesnt quite measure up to the rest.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:38 AM
Wait until you are stopped to shift to park, and don't shift to reverse when rolling forward. Easy on the neutral drops...Maybe? Don't drain the fluid, and refill once it fails either?

All kidding aside, congrats on the Toy, and give that thing hell for us.

BTW, 27k flawless miles on my truck, thus far, knock wood...

Last edited by Nates06SCab; 07-14-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:42 AM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
well maybe you should have posted your problems, thats what this forum is for. there is tons of help around here, and you could easily have taken advantage of it. but instead, the one time you do post, you decide to post about your fondness of the tundra?? bad call. you must have been impressed by toyota's cute commercials about their manly new truck.

what is funny about those tundra commercials with the teter-toter and the deadwight pull is their behind the scenes videos. Toyota was so proud of these awesome commercials that they did behind the scenes videos on how they did them. every single vehicle used to construct the teter-toter and the deadwieght pull was a FORD. good move toyota.

a beastly new 5.7L engine that is advertised and made out to be indestructable. 2 months into sales: 37,000 tundras sold with the 5.7L and 20 trucks with camshaft failures. still no recall...(to compare, the 2008 Ford superduty had flaming tailpipes on 3 trucks out of the first 40,000 sold. there was an immediate recall). and this is toyota's entire new game, this engine. you think if toyota still used its 4.7L 280 HP engine that ANYONE would buy it?? no way.

a full size truck with 4 star crash test ratings?? no thanks.

towing 10,500 pounds with a 3 piece c-channel frame underneath? no thanks.

2000 pound payload? uh, the f150 can handle 3050. thats over 50% more.

and the extra 5000$ on the sticker price, for all this?? hmmmmmm

oh wait it comes standard with tailgate assist. so thats where the 5 grand went, i see...

however, toyota has definitely made a step up from its last tundra. it just still doesnt quite measure up to the rest.
Very good points indeed.

My v6 F150 is better than a Titan... Why?! Cause it can pull not only it's own dead weight around, but my dead weight, and the times when I overload it with dead weight.

I heard the new commerical where it is referring to the fact that it is "Built In America"... hahaha So what! Want to know why the QC is so bad?! Because the people building it and inspect it work in America, and possibly they are trying to circumvent with a secret operation to banish Toyota. Would be cool!

Last edited by ManualF150; 07-14-2007 at 01:45 AM. Reason: with
Old 07-14-2007, 11:02 AM
TNC
Probably an OK truck. It's just that at the end of the day, I gotta have something good looking in the driveway. Tundra misses that mark by a mile, or kilometer if you're from Japan. To post a goodbye here is just a way to stir it up, and all of us have responded. Good luck with the truck, I personally think you downgraded.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:55 PM
I have never understood brand loyalty. Why be loyal to a company that can care less about you. I buy vehicles based on being the best for my needs as well as an emotional connection. It needs to look good. In 2006 when I needed and bought a 1/2 ton truck the Ford was definately best in class in my opinion so I purchased one and have not regretted the decision. The truck has been flawless so far. If I were in the market for a truck right not the Tundra as well as the GMC Sierra look pretty good to me although I really don't like the Toyota interior. Looks cheap and flimsy. It's funny how people search for problems with the Tundra and use them to blast someone's decision. It only takes a search in this forum to find hundreds of F150 problems, some of them quite serious. All vehicles have problems, it does not matter who builds them or where. As for Toyota only selling 20 to 30,000 units. This is solely because of plant capacity. As new plants are built that number will rise. I think some of the people on here need to open themselves up to something other than there precious blue oval. I am not trying to offend anyone, just stating my opinion.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry guys after years of driving F150's 7 to be exact ,I left and went back to Tundra (owned one in 2000). The F150 is great just to many problems I had three, 1.2002 King ranch 2. 2004 lariat 3. 2004 lariat (check out my gallery.https://www.f150online.com/galleries...y.cfm?gnum=892 All three had to have transmissions and rearends,only after about 3000 miles.Only traded the Tundra because I needed more room. Now I have more than I need. Take care guys its been fun.

Yea, my F150s, had rearend and tranny problems too. But I dog my stuff.

See ya at the rice pump.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks Rock

Old 07-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Suspended
All I've got to say . .

Old 07-16-2007, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by SilverScab 5.5
I think some of the people on here need to open themselves up to something other than there precious blue oval.

Haha.

Good one.

You actually made me laugh out loud at that one.

I actually think we are missing some brand loyalty here (which in turn has led to us missing a whole lot of jobs across this country)

When I bought my 04, I did look at the others. But I didn't look into the jap crap for a truck. I did look at Dodge and GMC products, just to compare, test drove them all. It will be a cold day (or the Leafs will win the cup), before I put my hard earned money into a Japanese truck.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:24 AM
only 20 trucks had cam failures toyota found the prob and corrected it on the line ....
Um...not quite

"Automotive News - May 28, 2007 - LOS ANGELES -- A batch of camshaft failures in 5.7-liter V-8 engines has dinged the launch of the Toyota Tundra pickup.

Camshafts in 20 engines have snapped, says Toyota spokesman Mike Michaels. The outside camshaft supplier, which Toyota declined to identify, has traced the problem to "a metallurgical defect in the casting, a flaw in the metal which they have corrected," he says.

However, to date, Toyota has built 30,000 of the 5.7l engines all of which are from the same production plant in Alabama and the company is trying to determine how many might be affected. Michaels says that it was "an early batch," and that "Toyota is confident in the production from that point on."
and so Toyota's solution...

"Toyota will not test each camshaft to see if it is prone to failure. Rather, customers whose camshafts fail will have their entire engines replaced."
Apparently they don't really know which of the 30,000 5.7l engines have the faulty cam shafts and they are taking a "wait-and-see" approach to the situation.

Where have I heard this before. Oh, yea I remember. According to you Tundra Troll, this its just like Ford shipping trucks to the dealerships with a known production problem. Did Toyota suddenly take a page out of Ford's playbook?

and finally....

"By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY 5/29/2007- Rather than try to fix the affected engines, Kwong said, Toyota is giving owners new ones that are shipped overnight to dealers"
So, Toyota is putting the responsibility on the dealerships to deal with the problem. Sound familiar? The correction is to replace the entire engine on the brand new, potentially $38,000 truck. The usual reactive approach rather than a proactive action that we have seen from every automaker.

My recommendation for this Tundra Troll (aka Pinky44943), don't go trompin' on that new Tundra like you have on those Ford's cuz you just might find out real quick if you got one of them crappy cam shafts.

Last edited by Oxlander; 07-16-2007 at 03:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Left F150