2004 - 2008 F-150

Who got an alignment after their leveling kit install and who didn't? Post results.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who got an alignment after their leveling kit install and who didn't? Post results.

I installed a 2.5" leveling kit and some BFG 305/65R18's on my truck about 6000 miles ago and never got the front end aligned. Yesterday I rotated the tires and noticed some excessive wear on the outer tread of the front tires.

I realize that I should have had a front end alignment done after the leveling kit install because of the positive camber it introduces to the front suspension.

My question is for the people that did have an alignment done after they installed their leveling kit. How are your guys front tires wearing?

I just ordered a 2007 to replace my 2004 F-150 and I'm not sure I want to install the leveling kit on my new truck when it arrives. I love the way the truck looks... there's no arguing there, it looks awesome. I just don't want to continue to have tire wear problems on my new truck. I believe the tire wear issues could be resolved with an alignment, but I also have some other concerns about the leveling kits.

The SLA (short/long arm) type suspensions on these trucks has very limited suspension travel to begin with. I noticed after installing the 2.5" kit that the downward travel of the front suspension has been virtually eliminated; the front suspension is almost in full droop while the vehicle is just sitting. After installing the leveling kit I also noticed that the truck doesn't handle nearly as well as it did stock when driving over bumps and it's terrible when driving over dips in the road or potholes because the suspension can't drop any more to stay in contact with the road.

IMO = Leveling kits look awesome, but that's where the positive ends.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:58 PM
I got the daystar kit installed and alignment at the same time. My truck maintained the factory ride. I have noticed nothing abnormal as far as ride and tire wear. I have had the truck offroad several times with no issues. What kind of leveling kit did you install? I have been happy with mine.......

Old 05-19-2007, 07:58 PM
You gotta give a little to get a little I guess.
I did get the alignment after I installed the 2.5's. IMO we are spending way to much on tires these days to even chance it. It sounds like you may have some other problems with your front end than just the level kit. Maybe a bad shock or ball joints....just say'n.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:09 PM
I have the AS 2.5" kit.

There is nothing wrong with front end other than all the geometry is out of whack at rest because of the leveling kit.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:11 PM
you need an alignment. 20k and no abnormal wear

Old 05-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you 100% MUST align the truck after you put the leveling kit on. the caster and camber remain virtually unchanged but it throws the toe out almost 1 full degree per side which will destroy you tires with the quickness and also make the truck handle very unpredictably

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-19-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got an alignment right after I put on my leveling kit, and got another alignment after I took it off.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the tire wear you see if normal...if you don't get the front aligned.

as for there being no suspension travel, my tire goes down another 3-4 inches before it reaches the max downward travel. and I still have my full range up upward travel

You should have no change in ride quality unless your leveling kit is the type where you disassemble the coil-over and install the spacer inside the coil-over itself, not on top of the coil-over like most kits are.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everybody except for that guy that wore out his front tires prematurely.

Last edited by NASSTY; 05-19-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:57 PM
I got mine aligned the day after I got my AS installed, and that was also the same day that I got my new tires/wheels. 8000 miles later and I have not even rotated them yet because they are wearing so good.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:19 AM
I went about 800mi on the stock 18s after the 2.5" level. And It destroyed both front BFGs. But, I got the alignment before the Cepeks tho. And the handeling is so much better now. HIGLY recomend gettin' that alignment! Anything to improve her gas mileage I'm all for

Old 05-20-2007, 09:57 AM
just had my 2" as installed and got alignment at the same time...def worth the few extra bucks right away...

Old 05-20-2007, 11:33 AM
I just got a 2" with new Toyo A/T's. Got my alignment on the same day. Truck rides great. Can't even tell except for the great look.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by baja150
The SLA (short/long arm) type suspensions on these trucks has very limited suspension travel to begin with. I noticed after installing the 2.5" kit that the downward travel of the front suspension has been virtually eliminated; the front suspension is almost in full droop while the vehicle is just sitting. After installing the leveling kit I also noticed that the truck doesn't handle nearly as well as it did stock when driving over bumps and it's terrible when driving over dips in the road or potholes because the suspension can't drop any more to stay in contact with the road.

IMO = Leveling kits look awesome, but that's where the positive ends.
I totally agree with this write up. That is exactly why I removed mine. Like Stealth, I got the alignment after the install and after I rmoved the kit. It's mandatory to do so. The toe is WAY out after the install, and that is why your tires wore funny for sure. And yes, my total toe reading was over 1* difference from having the kit installed and removed.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:29 AM
Goodyear said one side (I forget which one) was way out on caster. The camber was affected, but the numbers didn't seem too far apart. I'm just happy that I did get it done for my peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Who got an alignment after their leveling kit install and who didn't? Post results.