2004 - 2008 F-150

Who got an alignment after their leveling kit install and who didn't? Post results.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhost
Just remember, what happens, or is said on the net, STAYS on the net... Google archives can come back and bite you in the tail...

Hope your wife is computer illiterate.
LMAO..so true. Luckily she only goes on to check her emails maybe once a week and she would have no idea my screen name is goldmember..Phew.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by 06flamefx4
I got mine aligned today and my steering wheel seems to be off center!! Does anyone else have this problem?? Not tring to jack your thread!

YEP.....It's the most common problem with getting an alignment...took mine back 3 times, then finally decided that I could straighten the wheel myself......Harbor Frieght tools, long handle wrenches help....you just have to be VERY careful, NOT to make it worse, and move one more than the other, effectively screwing up the toe-in again.....

Old 05-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by 06flamefx4
I got mine aligned today and my steering wheel seems to be off center!! Does anyone else have this problem?? Not tring to jack your thread!
The sad thing is is that its so easy to do it right but few take the time. Right before you set the toe start the truck and find the center by turning right and left then back to rest at center, then lock the steering wheel. Before you adjust the toe write down what each side is currently at. As you adjust each side make sure the other is where it should be. When your done the wheel will be right where you set it to begin with.

Goldmember call me before you get your align done. My buddy's shop is right in spencer and is open at night.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by nothinbutaford

Goldmember call me before you get your align done. My buddy's shop is right in spencer and is open at night.
Will do. I'm loving the ride with the new front shocks. Now I just need to slap in the rear ones myself this weekend. What/where is the shop in Spencer? PM me if you want.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by dbhost
Take it back to the alignment shop. That is part of the alignment. They got it off. How bad is it? If it's a degree or two don't plan on ever getting much better, but if it's 10 or so degrees off, get them to fix it...

And PawPaw, and the others that noticed a change in ride and handling. Can you describe it? Mine didn't seem to change other than it definately felt taller. But then again I don't corner the truck like I do my Saturn...
I can honestly say, since I took the 2.5" leveling kit off, it rides nicer. My 2WD takes bumps better, more like a car, than a truck. Look how much upper control arm travel is lost after the kit is installed. And turns are more stabil feeling. Pretty much like a SUV is more prone to a roll over than a car is.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:40 AM
Everyone got the alignment. It says it is a must in the instructions.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xlint1
I can honestly say, since I took the 2.5" leveling kit off, it rides nicer. My 2WD takes bumps better, more like a car, than a truck. Look how much upper control arm travel is lost after the kit is installed. And turns are more stabil feeling. Pretty much like a SUV is more prone to a roll over than a car is.
How do you lose control arm travel with a leveling kit? I've seen similar posts in other threads and have yet had my question answered. I can kinda see the downward motion being limited. But only if the upper control arm is hitting on the coil-over itself. But not the upward range of motion.

besides, when you hit a bump, most are 1" or less in depth or height on the road. the travel of your suspension with a leveler is more than sufficient to absord a 2" or bigger bump no problem. I've got alot of huge speed bumps around my house. I can hit them at 30+ mph and the suspension just soaks it up. It's actually very smooth and soft ("soft" is the wrong word, but I can't think of any other way to describe it) on the big stuff.

being 2wd is probably why you notice a big difference. the 2wd coils have a different spring rate than the 4wd coils. it makes the 2wd spongy and slow reacting IMO. Making the truck sit 2-2.5" taller in the front and combined wiht those OEM 2wd coils...I can see where people could maybe feel some ride change.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:04 PM
can level kit cause a Cross Camber to be out?

i just posted a message regarding this situation and wanted your opinions please.
i noticed that there was a post stating that TOE would be affected bu tnot Camber.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=287447

thanks

victor

Old 05-25-2007, 04:15 PM
I took mine directly from my house to the shop that did the alignment. The toe was way off after adding the AS.

BTW, it only cost me $39.95 for a 4 wheel alignment.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by peanstein
i just posted a message regarding this situation and wanted your opinions please.
i noticed that there was a post stating that TOE would be affected bu tnot Camber.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=287447

thanks

victor
Toe will definately be affected, my camber stayed within spec but I only went up 1 inch.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by Tylus
How do you lose control arm travel with a leveling kit? I've seen similar posts in other threads and have yet had my question answered. I can kinda see the downward motion being limited. But only if the upper control arm is hitting on the coil-over itself. But not the upward range of motion.

besides, when you hit a bump, most are 1" or less in depth or height on the road. the travel of your suspension with a leveler is more than sufficient to absord a 2" or bigger bump no problem. I've got alot of huge speed bumps around my house. I can hit them at 30+ mph and the suspension just soaks it up. It's actually very smooth and soft ("soft" is the wrong word, but I can't think of any other way to describe it) on the big stuff.

being 2wd is probably why you notice a big difference. the 2wd coils have a different spring rate than the 4wd coils. it makes the 2wd spongy and slow reacting IMO. Making the truck sit 2-2.5" taller in the front and combined wiht those OEM 2wd coils...I can see where people could maybe feel some ride change.
I'm not an engineer, so I can't explain it well enough it seems, but I can totally tell a difference. It's not a huge difference, but it is noticeable. I said the travel was limited because the upper control arm was situated so closely to the coil, it made contact when I would jack the truck up for service. Maybe you have the offset kind, mine didn't. Or if you have nice roads in your state you wouldn't notice much of a difference. Here in my state (NE Ohio) our roads are terrible. So much so, we say our state flower is the "orange barrel", because they are popping up everywhere!!!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Do you get a computer printout from the shop showing something was actually changed with the alignment specs? I lack trust they do anything.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:48 PM
holy three year old thread batman

Old 03-05-2010, 09:50 PM
If you all would go to the post "Your Opinion " and tell me what you think. I need some help with a couple questions.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by 04 Tan Scab
Do you get a computer printout from the shop showing something was actually changed with the alignment specs? I lack trust they do anything.
Brake Check aligned mine the day after I installed my 2.5" HBS kit.. i got a full print out showing oriinal numbers and new numbers.. they tried selling me add-on kit for $80 that lets them make more adjustments but I havent had any probs without it. that was 30k miles ago...

Quick Reply: Who got an alignment after their leveling kit install and who didn't? Post results.