2004 - 2008 F-150

Hauling Sod

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hauling Sod

I need to get some grass to replace some spots where I ripped out a brick path and I can save a good amount of money by picking it up myself. My question is... can I haul a 500 sq.ft. pallet of sod in the back of my '05 4x4 screw? I don't know what they weigh, and I'm not sure what my payload capacity is. I figured someone here would know the answer.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by tardman91
I need to get some grass to replace some spots where I ripped out a brick path and I can save a good amount of money by picking it up myself. My question is... can I haul a 500 sq.ft. pallet of sod in the back of my '05 4x4 screw? I don't know what they weigh, and I'm not sure what my payload capacity is. I figured someone here would know the answer.
Been there done that many times! shouldn't be a problem at all!

Old 05-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tardman91
If it's not too wet, you should be fine. Usually Sod is on topsoil, instead of clay, so you don't have as much to worry about weight wise.

I can say without any hesitation, don't even think about it with clay soils... Get a HEAVY DUTY trailer for that job...

Old 05-07-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure what that'd weight but wet or dry, it should be a breeze for these trucks.

You'd be surprised what I've hauled in mine prior to the ARE cover being put on. I had no levelling kit on at the time and the back was sitting a good two inches [at the very least] below the front.

There wasn't the inkling of a problem and I traveleed about 60miles round trip.

Like Nike says: "Just do it"

Old 05-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Grubrunner
I'm not sure what that'd weight but wet or dry, it should be a breeze for these trucks.

You'd be surprised what I've hauled in mine prior to the ARE cover being put on. I had no levelling kit on at the time and the back was sitting a good two inches [at the very least] below the front.

There wasn't the inkling of a problem and I traveleed about 60miles round trip.

Like Nike says: "Just do it"

Ill agree with the "just do it", I cant say ive ever payed attention to the payload capacity for the bed or hauling. Ive had the back loaded down with a full load of stock, mulch, top soil and a bunch of other crap and it squated pretty good but had no problem gettin it done. We also did some demolition to an old barn and the truck hauled all 14,000# of it to the dump (granted it was a slow ride!), and just recently pulled 60-70 Railroad ties (not sure on weight). Needless to say ive never had a problem and I have honestly been pretty hard on this truck, I doubt you will have a problem. Go for it!

Old 05-07-2007, 06:36 PM
It will squat pretty good, but it will get the job done. Check to make sure your tires are not over-inflated.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:37 PM
No worries mate. Your Ford will get the job done.

Quick Reply: Hauling Sod