2004 - 2008 F-150

Rafa26, Transmission Broke Today !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms8

WOW, you really need to work on that launch!!! Keep in mind that the rule of thumb is every tenth of a second you can reduce your 60ft time is worth approximately 2 tenths through the traps!!!!!!!!

LoL yeah, Everyone was saying the track was real sticky that night, so I figured I would stall it up a bit... Didnt like that at all

Old 04-19-2007, 04:04 PM
once the rings are seated who cares. blow by is at a minimum. the only time a motor i built had a problem is when a pan seal blew out on the timing cover for SBC 327 revving at 7000 WOT after a few hours of break in. i pulled the cover and fixed it. that motor lasted many many years. i give them a few hundred miles nowadays. i have been known to break in the cam, change the oil, and give er hell. (pushrod flat tappet)

Old 04-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by assasinator
once the rings are seated who cares. blow by is at a minimum. the only time a motor i built had a problem is when a pan seal blew out on the timing cover for SBC 327 revving at 7000 WOT after a few hours of break in. i pulled the cover and fixed it. that motor lasted many many years. i give them a few hundred miles nowadays. i have been known to break in the cam, change the oil, and give er hell. (pushrod flat tappet)
Bill i have more than 1000 miles on my engine, do you recommend adding synthetic oil now ? If so which one do you prefer ?

Thanks,
Rafael.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by rafa26
No Mcdover, Greg is being the best guy ever. He's giving me all the support possible. He will buid a 3 plate TC for me.
Why are you giving up on the PI converter? Supposed to be the best you can get.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:13 PM

If you don’t have any experience or knowledge on a topic, please don’t add your two cent for it shows how little you truly know.

Anyone who knows ANYTHING about a motor which was built for power would know that it can go full tilt from day one. Do you honestly think that Top Fuel, Pro Street or any other racing class actually “breaks in” their motors when they put them together? Let me answer this for you ….NO. They go together, warm up and instantly see 8000+RPM at full load.

If JDM did their job, Rafa should be fine.
Yes they do go together, warm up and go full load only to be torn down again and do it all over again because they are not reliable at the point. I don't think Rafa wants just one pass on his truck there for his needs to take the proper steps to insure reliably. You are comparing oranges to apples.

Originally Posted by JimIII
500 miles of normal driving varying speeds, use 5w-20 ford motorcraft syn blend oil change @ 1,000 then every 3,000..
Right from the horses mouth so yeah I know other builders that like to see 1000+ miles before any hard launches or WOT runs.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Bill i have more than 1000 miles on my engine, do you recommend adding synthetic oil now ? If so which one do you prefer ?

Thanks,
Rafael.
You should ask your builder not E-Mechanics

Old 04-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CoyCopeland
Yes they do go together, warm up and go full load only to be torn down again and do it all over again because they are not reliable at the point. I don't think Rafa wants just one pass on his truck there for his needs to take the proper steps to insure reliably. You are comparing oranges to apples.

Okay junior, thanks for YOUR two cents too.

If you read what I took the time to type, you will note that at no point did I say/imply that it’s SOP to go WOT all the time, but an occasional burst is by NO MEANS going to hurt a motor that was intentionally built like Rafa’s was. He has already stated too that he has a 1000 miles on it. I have a 10 second NA Mustang. I built the car myself, so I’m a bit more than your eloquent “E-mechanic” comment. I’ve been racing cars, building motors and chasing skirts longer than you’ve had your drivers license, so tread lightly.

Apples to Oranges? Uhm, if Rafa has contemplated putting 116 in this motor to turn up the boost in an effort to garner more HP, then yeah, that’s pretty much a race motor that just happens to see street time which is de-tuned to run on pump gas.

The point of this post is that any motor like Rafa’s should suffer no ill affect by hitting it at WOT, be it at 100 miles or a 1000. I don’t advocate nor do I practice WOT on a brand new motor, race bread or not, but it won’t hurt the motor if it was built with the parts that he should have in it and the tolerances to which it is built. I’m sure JDM has built this motor to the same exacting standards which have placed them at the very top of this market. Despite the quibbles that JDM and Rafa seemingly had a while back, Rafa has a bulit proof race motor that has been engineered with street use in mind.

Thanks anyway though.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks,
Rafael.
Rafael please call me before you change the oil, you already have 5w50 ford synthetic in there. We are using the gt500 motor oil in your truck because the 3 v cam phasers are reliant on oil temp and pressure. The 5w50 builds more oil pressure and works great. I dont want you changing from that for a little while. Its kind of expensive but the best for you right now.

The break in period on our motors i do always say as i was quoted here earlier. about 500 miles, varying speeds, nothing too hard.

Now we had Rafas truck full tilt on the dyno (still low boost/low timing) and on the road. There is no reason he cant do the same but you always want to make sure when doing those things that the motor isnt stone cold or on the oppsite end of the spectrum too hot. Standing still (LONG) burn outs is what bothers me the most thats low load and high timing and can spell trouble even on a built motor. Cooks the valves and guides.

The trans slipping the way it was we told Rafael to take it easy in the High RPM when the tranny slips it takes load of the truck and can make the truck lean out. Now i guess the tranny isnt an issue any more because its not there!! Hopefully the new one is the ticket and we can get under way making some more power with this thing!

BTW we got our Saleen truck to go 13.2 @ 104 and were making around 440 RWHP right now!

JimIII

Old 04-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Former Sponsor
almost forgot when the shop replaces the trans make sure all the lines are flushed so no metal particles or shavings get in the new tranny.

JimIII

Old 04-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by JimIII@jdm
Now we had Rafas truck full tilt on the dyno (still low boost/low timing) and on the road. There is no reason he cant do the same but you always want to make sure when doing those things that the motor isn't stone cold or on the opposite end of the spectrum too hot.
JimIII
I had no idea that Rafas truck was ever on a dyno and clearly thought he was still on a "canned" break in tune. If he was on a break in tune he SHOULD not be doing hard launches IMO

Old 04-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Its not your internet so everyones opinion is welcome bad or not. When you buy F150online then you can say who can post what and when until then I will continue to chime in when I feel as though I can be a help in any situation.

I don’t advocate nor do I practice WOT on a brand new motor, race bread or not, but it won’t hurt the motor if it was built with the parts that he should have in it and the tolerances to which it is built
You are forgeting the most important part of these modular engines. I don't care if you built a $30,000 engine if the tune isn't right then you will blow it up. The math is simple bulletproof engine + bad tune = kaboom. Smoking is bad for you.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by mcdover
Why are you giving up on the PI converter? Supposed to be the best you can get.
McDover Gregg Evans will build a 3 plate for me. Do you think that he will give me a bad one to burn his name ????

Last edited by rafa26; 04-20-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CoyCopeland
if the tune isn't right then you will blow it up. The math is simple bulletproof engine + bad tune = kaboom. Smoking is bad for you.

Uhmkay captain obvious. Brilliant observation.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:11 AM

If you read what I took the time to type, you will note that at no point did I say/imply that it’s SOP to go WOT all the time, but an occasional burst is by NO MEANS going to hurt a motor that was intentionally built like Rafa’s was. He has already stated too that he has a 1000 miles on it. I have a 10 second NA Mustang. I built the car myself, so I’m a bit more than your eloquent “E-mechanic” comment. I’ve been racing cars, building motors and chasing skirts longer than you’ve had your drivers license, so tread lightly.

Apples to Oranges? Uhm, if Rafa has contemplated putting 116 in this motor to turn up the boost in an effort to garner more HP, then yeah, that’s pretty much a race motor that just happens to see street time which is de-tuned to run on pump gas.

The point of this post is that any motor like Rafa’s should suffer no ill affect by hitting it at WOT, be it at 100 miles or a 1000. I don’t advocate nor do I practice WOT on a brand new motor, race bread or not, but it won’t hurt the motor if it was built with the parts that he should have in it and the tolerances to which it is built. I’m sure JDM has built this motor to the same exacting standards which have placed them at the very top of this market. Despite the quibbles that JDM and Rafa seemingly had a while back, Rafa has a bulit proof race motor that has been engineered with street use in mind.

Thanks anyway though.
Sorry RAFA
OFF TOPIC...RMS8:
What elevation is the drag strip you run you car at? What engine block are you using? I thought in another post you stated it was a 347CI, what heads are you running? Is that just a Accel or Edlebrock EFI kit? What compression?

Old 04-20-2007, 07:04 AM
McDover Greg Evans will build a 3 plate for me. Do you think that he will give me a bad one to burn his name ????
I would hope not! I'm assuming that this is part of the warranty, right? What are you going to do with that $1000 PI converter?

Quick Reply: Rafa26, Transmission Broke Today !!!