2004 - 2008 F-150

engine surges while in drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question engine surges while in drive

i checked the forum and could not find a fix for this before so thought i would try again. 2004 ford 5.4 engine will suddenly jump from 1000 rpm while coasting with foot off of gas up to 3000 rpm. this is very annoying if you are makeing a turn or backing into garage and has happened 3 times since i have had my truck (new bought) last night had to slam on the brakes while backing into garage and almost hit rear of garage,,engine was racing up and down,,, had to finally put truck in neutral and turn it off. when restarted could not duplicate ,, took to dealer twice before after it did it and NO CODES are left on computer for errors. Last time this happened was around a year ago,,dealer has no idea what is causing it,, all times this has occurred around same area/time of my home,, just a matter of time before i hit something,,could someone with a ham radio broadcasting affect this wireless accelerator ??? thanks for any ideas,, john

Old 03-17-2007, 10:54 AM
TNC
Look up idle surge and you might find a few entries. My '04 was doing it. Dealer flashed the PCM and it went away. Mine would oscillate as much as 1500 RPM, mostly right after startup. Custom tunes would kill that problem too and wake up your sleepy 5.4. If it's still under warranty, and you DON'T have a custom tune, take it to the dlr. and request they flash the PCM for the most updated version. If it's not been done since new, you definitely have old software.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:15 PM
I have a slight surge when the truck has been re-started and is partially warmed up. It goes away after about 30 seconds of driving but is most noticable when driving at a constant speed in a parking lot, or a very slow speed. I had my computer reflashed once and problem disappeared but now
it's back and dealer won't reflash my computer because they say I already
have the latest update. I left the truck there for 2 days and they were unable to duplicate it, so for now I guess I have to live with it. I can drive around it but it is a little bit of an irritant. I have a 2004 5.4 with 24000 miles.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Quick Reply: engine surges while in drive