2004 - 2008 F-150

K&N filter: Is it worth it

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 05:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed a drop-in K&N on both my F150 and Jeep Grand Cherokee. It turned out not so good!

Both got dirtier quicker than before, and I found tons of dust in the intake tube past the air filter!!!

I did an oil analysis with Blackstone Labs, and the results showed about 3x's more dirt than with the OEM air filter for the same amount of mileage.

I also saw no improvement in power or mpg. But seriously, if you do manage to gain 5 hp, only your imagination is going to notice driving a 6,000 lbs vehicle.

If I were you, if you must have an intake, get a cold-air system, and install a K&N cover over the air filter to aid in filtration.

Otherwise it's not worth it to me.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:05 AM
I have an 05 5.4 Screw with a drop-in K&N. I've been noticing a ticking noise which sounds like an injector or possible cam phaser noise. I put the K&N in about 10K miles after buying. Have 30k now. I recently put the factory Motorcraft drop-in back in and guess what? I don't get the ticking/clicking sound that I was getting. It's been a month now and no ticking. Could it be that these trucks' intake are designed for specifically this type filter with it's resistance and airflow characteristics. Could my truck have been running lean or something with the K&N? It doesn't make much sense being they are both drop-in filter........

Old 03-01-2007, 02:49 AM
Kinda off subject,
Most motorcycles run worse (magazine tests, forum's) with a K&N, i would not run one when I had my Hayabusa. Some vehicles may respond negatively with one installed.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by bamorris2
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you all on this... I installed a K&N drop-in filter, and I've noticed at least 25+ extra HP, and upwards of 40 lbs/ft of torque. My MPG went up probably 3-5 mpg. I also noticed some additional benefits that I wasn't expecting: it fixed the mis-alignment of my frontend, quieted my squeeling brakes, made my sound system louder, and somehow managed to reduce the balance of one of my credit cards by $5000! So all in all, I say DEFINATELY get a K&N filter right away.
Lmao, thats funny

Old 03-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a USED K&N drop-in off of eBay for $9, the guy said it had about 3k miles on it. I cleaned it, re-oiled it, and dropped it in. I've got about 5k miles with it now and the only thing that I noticed different was a slightly better gas mileage and a slightly more throaty intake sound. But for $9 and never having to buy another filter, it was definitely worth it.

Quick Reply: K&N filter: Is it worth it