2004 - 2008 F-150

Edge vs. Diablo

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge vs. Diablo

Does anyone know for sure which programer gives better PERFORMANCE between the Edge and the Diablo? Thanks for any help....

Old 02-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kevlap99
Does anyone know for sure which programer gives better PERFORMANCE between the Edge and the Diablo? Thanks for any help....
Hi.

Edge ...........................Xcal2.................. .......Diablo

So, given the above diagram, looks like the Xcal2 is between the other two.

Since pictures don't lie, I guess it would be the Xcal2, then.

Do I get a prize?

Wait, wait.. before the 'Pot-Shot' ***** get involved - I would recommend the Edge, if you are talking about a canned Diablo. Perhaps a different story fo the custom dyno tuned Diablo version, though.

Holy Crap - did I really say that ???

Cheers
Bubba

Old 02-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Edge with out a doubt. Diablo is junk IMO.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:10 PM
I had both though not at the same time and S.O.P. dyno says the edge was better performance wise. Aside from the performance though the Edge is by far more useful with the gauges and 0-60 timers etc.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If it is only the best performance you are interested in, then why not get the Troyer tuned Xcal2? I think most would agree that it gives you a little better performance than either the Diablo or the Edge. Having said that, the Edge dosen't provide just performance. It has the gauges. There was one Edge user that dynoed his truck with the Edge and it was a HP increase of 25. I would not trade my Edge for any of the other tuners. Maybe someone will chime in that has tried both.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Wait, wait.. before the 'Pot-Shot' ***** get involved - I would recommend the Edge, if you are talking about a canned Diablo. Perhaps a different story fo the custom dyno tuned Diablo version, though.
Oh c'mon MGD, your going soft.

Never used the Diablo. Can't say how well it works.

But I do like the EDGE.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by expy03
Oh c'mon MGD, your going soft.

Never used the Diablo. Can't say how well it works.

But I do like the EDGE.

LOL Expy

Old 02-16-2007, 12:36 PM
OK, thanks. I guess I'm sold on the Edge. Only reason I am not going with troyer is that I am still not done modding. Still planning on going with 4.10 gears in the future. I also have a couple different sets of wheels that I change a couple times a year. Thanks for the advice!!

Old 02-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
Edge with out a doubt. Diablo is junk IMO.
Is that an opinion based on personal experience?

Old 02-16-2007, 03:16 PM
I would go with the Edge before the Diablo tuner, but between the Edge and Xcal2 the Edge to me is useless since my truck has the Roush supercharger.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:07 PM
i have both the diablo and the edge. i have never done a dyno with these two but the edge definatley takes the cake. my biggest problem with the diablo was the 15 min. it would take to change a tune. also the truck acted very erratic and unpredictable when shifting. Imo dont waste your money on the diablo first like i did.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:52 PM
edge

Old 02-16-2007, 07:42 PM
I would also like to say that I have been very happy with my EDGE programmer. It is easy to use and hard to screw up, also like being able to monitor various things.

That being said, I just got my xcal2 and sent my read strategy off to Troyer.

Now for the agonizing wait!!

Old 02-16-2007, 08:28 PM
I've used the Edge, the Diablo and the Superchips on my truck.

The Edge cost more, has cool gauges. The gauges are not as useful or complete as the Scangauge, but still nice. The edge seems to give more power with stock tune in premium mode, but gets worse gas mileage than the DP in that mode. The edge on the dashboard means don't park in unsafe neighborhoods, like malls, theaters, anywhere that kids hang around the parking lot looking for easy targets.

The Superchips is the easiest to just use, no brainer, no needed options. The shifts are firm on default settings. You use Superchips if you don't want to 'dig into' any of the settings.

The downside of the Diablo is for some reason, they don't adjust the shift pressure on the default settings. To work well, you must set the shift pressures up a little. Easy enough to do, very intuitive but again, they don't do it in the canned tunes.

Power wise, the Diablo, if you tune it right, that is, customize the settings, was quicker 0-60 1/8 and 1/4 mile than the Edge or Superchips. The Superchips wasn't really customizable.
Out of the box the Edge feels quicker on the seat of the pants.

The Edge loads quicker.

The Diablo seems to be more adjustable in the finer details.

All work pretty well.

Diablo can be had for less money, and if you aren't going to leave the gauge pod on your dash it's a good choice.
The Superchips big downside is sending it back to Superchips, your expense, to get it updated. Cost me almost 20 bucks and took weeks.
You can update the edge on line, you can update the Diablo if you have the optional adaptor.

You can get into the Diablo used for about 175 bucks shipped. The Edge is gonna cost more.
If you need/want the gauges and aren’t worried about break-ins or the dealer asking about that pod…

The Edge would be a good choice.
The Superchips just ends up at the rear because it costs more than the Diablo, puts out less power than the Diablo or Edge and can’t be easily updated.

On the other hand, if you have a brother in law with no ‘mechanical aptitude’ and he wants a tuner, the Superchips is an easy choice. No decisions needed, runs good with canned tune, no stress of hooking it to your computer to update, etc.

I’ve seen more negative posts about the Edge than all others combined. That may only reflect that they are more common in this forum.

Chris

Old 02-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Nice post^^^^^^^. I have the Diablo currently because I needed it to adjust for more fuel when I had the AF1 intake and raise the idle RPMs for the Underdrive Pullies I installed. No other tuner allows you to do this, without having Troyer do the custom tuning for you. I've never had a shifting problem with it. It's a good tuner if you plan on doing mods, but if you want bang for the buck stock, look elsewhere. Superchips is a good performer too, very easy to do. I've not tried the others, so I can't say anything about them. I wish everyone else would take that approach.

Quick Reply: Edge vs. Diablo