2004 - 2008 F-150

Engaging 4 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engaging 4 wheel drive

4 wheel drive always engages flawlessly when driving but seems to have issues and noises when engaging 4 hi from a stop. I know that the manual says to engage it while moving forward but that might not always be possible. It makes a lot of clunking noises then finally engages when I hit the gas after more clunking noises and then its fine. Im in Colorado and have been needing 4wd a lot the last 2 weeks including another 8 inches of snow today.

Im just wondering if this is normal - this is my first Ford and my Toyota never made a peep or had any hesitation going into 4 wheel.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

the clunking is normal, it says that in the manual somehwere. I have never engaged mine while driving, i always engaged from a stop in nuetral and never had a problem. I think the manual give instructions for engaging 4wd low and 4wd high.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:15 PM
The manual says that neutral is only needed for 4 low but it sounds like its a good idea even in shifting to 4 high from a stop?

Old 01-05-2007, 02:20 PM
i do mine moving or stationary- doesn't matter- the more you use it, the less you will get the clunk- mine hardly ever clunks any more. if i know the 1/2 mile long driveway is going to be slick on the way down i'll throw it in 4h before i go into drive- or if im half way down and decide i need it i'll flip it over on the roll.
it can engage up to 50 mph i believe.
4L def needs to be in neutral- i will get a little bump when it locks in though...

Old 01-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by BalogUK
i do mine moving or stationary- doesn't matter- the more you use it, the less you will get the clunk- mine hardly ever clunks any more. if i know the 1/2 mile long driveway is going to be slick on the way down i'll throw it in 4h before i go into drive- or if im half way down and decide i need it i'll flip it over on the roll.
it can engage up to 50 mph i believe.
4L def needs to be in neutral- i will get a little bump when it locks in though...
Ever tried engaging it in reverse?

My problem is that it is in 2 wheel in the garage and then I back out through a foot of snow through the driveway and as I start to go foward on the street is when it gets stuck and thats when I have to engage from a stop.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:12 PM
actually, yep today when i was at the post office in town was in 2wd reverse, wasn't getting anywhere fast so i flipped it to 4h- give it a couple seconds to engage and im rolling again-

if you are actively slipping/spinning, ie the front or back don't have traction, 4wd will not engage- but if there is friction-ie forward/backwards movement, or just sitting it should lock in withing a few seconds of flipping the switch

Old 01-05-2007, 04:12 PM
I do believe the shop manual says.. the computer won't ingage 4h unless you are doing 15mph or less and 4l if your doing 5mph or less

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2007, 04:36 PM
then what the manual says and what the truck will do anyways are different- as i've engaged 4H at 45mph, and have never been able to engage 4L without being in "N"

Old 01-05-2007, 04:48 PM
I do believe the shop manual says.. the computer won't ingage 4h unless you are doing 15mph or less and 4l if your doing 5mph or less
Then I do believe the shop manual is wrong. It says in the trucks manual max 55 mph for 4hi. I have done it at 110 km/h (70 mph?) with no probs. For 4lo you have to be STOPPED with your foot on the break and truck in neutral or nothing happens.

Last edited by cndcowboy; 01-05-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My manual says 55 mph and lower at 32 degrees and colder.

This is incorrect unless you do not have the puch button 4wd maybe? 4 low, I have to be stopped.

Quick Reply: Engaging 4 wheel drive