2004 - 2008 F-150

Stolen Supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some insurance companies have looked at not paying out for vehicles that are left running. I know here in NEwport News we enforce a city code and fine drivers who leave their vehicles running. The only problem is the code is only enforceable on city streets.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by cliff2026
Some insurance companies have looked at not paying out for vehicles that are left running. I know here in NEwport News we enforce a city code and fine drivers who leave their vehicles running. The only problem is the code is only enforceable on city streets.
Same here...citation for leaving a running m/v unattended for 5 minutes on city street. ALLWEATHER I will admit I didnt even consider that when I started to bash insurance companies but, it was in your driveway. Talk to the adjuster though, anything would help.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would never ever want my vehicle back after a total stranger drove it. They better burn mine after they steal it, because if they don't I will.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
One of his workers offered for it to "disappear."
where did he buy it? Goodfellas Chevrolet

Old 01-03-2007, 11:50 AM
What a piece of ****.. I hate thieves..

Side note, I constantly start my truck (to run the air) and then I go back in the house, the store, etc.. but I lock with the keypad.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Put a piece of Scotch Tape over the key holes. That'll keep 'em out. Nobody can penetrate that.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:29 PM
SOB!!!
I just saw that you're from Albuquerque! I'm in Las Cruces . How're you enjoyin all that snow?
I just keep hearing bad things about Albuquerque's crime.

And yeah, I can totally see your truck ending up in Mexico if you didn't find it. My dad has his Chevy and when it was new there were a good number of problems with it. One of his workers offered for it to "disappear." I'm just surprised we don't have as much crime down here being even closer to Mexico.
Man, this snow is awful. I live in the lower foothills of Sandia, so we always get more snow that the lower levels of the area. We had a good 12 inches just before Christmas, and then another 18 inches just before New Years. That is unheard of around here. Even now, the side streets are all but impassable. When the truck took off, I was standing knee deep in snow, yelling at the top of my lungs. I figured it was enroute to Mexico, and frankly was not hoping to get it back, because I figured it'd be messed up. But, the thieves only had it for 24 hours, and not enough time to do anything bad to it. Maybe if the thieves had had another day or two they could've made their drive south, thru Las Cruces no doubt, and gotten away. It worked out very well for me. The whole affair may end up costing me a thousand $ in various items, but that is cheap compared to what it COULD have been. I consider it the price of learning a valuable lesson. I will never, ever, leave any of my vehicles running unless I am sitting inside it.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by 04 RED LARIAT
I would never ever want my vehicle back after a total stranger drove it. They better burn mine after they steal it, because if they don't I will.
That's the way I feel, too. But, it worked out that I really don't have any choice. Thank God they didn't do any obvious damage to it. It wouldn't have been in their interest to mess up the truck... it would've diminished its resale value. First things I looked at were the wheels and sheetmetal, thinking something might be bent from the guy making a quick getaway on snowpacked streets. But, nothing is out of place.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Guigster
Put a piece of Scotch Tape over the key holes. That'll keep 'em out. Nobody can penetrate that.
Huh?

The dealer told me over the phone that all the locks including the ignition can be replaced for around $350. He said that the ignition can be reprogrammed to make the old keys useless for about $30, and that new keys are about $90 apiece. I'm surprised if it really is that cheap to reprogram the ignition. That seems like the way to go.

My insurance company has offered to pay for the towing charges, and the adjuster just told me that after I itemize the loss of personal things inside the truck that were taken, they may reimburse me for at least part of those, too. I may just include all expenses, such as the new license plate and registration paperwork, keys, locks, programming, etc, and see how they react. If they pay anything at all, that will not only surprise me, but delight me. And I will stay with this company forever. Not making excuses for thieves, but this truly was my own boneheadedness that enabled them to hit me so easily. If I'd simply locked the doors after starting it, this wouldn't have happened.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Tell them (insurance) you need to get louder exaust too, that way if it happens again, you can hear them drive off.
-Patrick

Old 01-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Dang! I have a couple of friends headed up to UNM for music stuff this week, maybe I should go visit them and play.

There are some pretty jacked up people in this world. New Years day, pfft.
Isn't the area you're in a rather nice place to be, like off of Tramway or am I way off?
I'm a little lower than Tramway, but my neighborhood is nice, middleclass, mostly older retired people, few renters. I've been here for almost 6 years, and apart from having some glass broken out of an old truck, and an air compressor stolen from my driveway, there's been no crime here. The thing is, though, this type of crime permeates everywhere. It feeds on idiots like me who get complacent and think that nothing bad will happen. I've always kept my key in the ashtray, using the keypad to lock and unlock. Sheesh. I've been very careless and stupid.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
Tell them (insurance) you need to get louder exaust too, that way if it happens again, you can hear them drive off.
-Patrick
Ha Ha, oh yeah... worth a try! That'd really make my neighbors happy. I've got a couple of motorcycles with open pipes that really make the windows rattle if I get on 'em, which I don't, but they're loud even when I'm tiptoeing.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by allweather
Huh?

The dealer told me over the phone that all the locks including the ignition can be replaced for around $350. He said that the ignition can be reprogrammed to make the old keys useless for about $30, and that new keys are about $90 apiece. I'm surprised if it really is that cheap to reprogram the ignition. That seems like the way to go....<snip>...
That is kind of skunkish.

To replace the Ign with new keys, the dealer needs to take the NGS, and erase all the keys in the HEC anyways, and then program a min of 2 new keys ( new cylinder ) by the programmign isntructions. that is 210.00 for about 15 min of work, plus the labor to install the new cylinder in the steering column and the doors ??

So he is charging you $30.00 to do the programming he is already doing.

This is similar to what they are using :
http://www.hickok-inc.com/ngs/ngslock.html
The new programmer from Ford is called the PDS or your dealer might not have upgraded yet, and still be using the WDS 418-F224 or NGS 418-F052 or equivalent scan tool

Section from the Service Manual ( SECTION 419-01: Anti-Theft — PATS )
This procedure will erase all programmed ignition keys from the vehicle memory and the vehicle will not start until two keys have been reprogrammed to the vehicle.
NOTE: Two PATS encoded keys with the correct mechanical cut must be available to perform this procedure. One or both of them may be the customer's original keys.
NOTE: If additional keys are to be programmed, refer to Key Programming — Program a Key Using Two Programmed Keys. If the remaining keys are with the customer and are not available with the vehicle, then instruct the customer to refer to the Owners Guide under the "Programming Spare [SecuriLock ® (North America), Safeguard ® (U.K.) or PATS for all other markets] Keys Procedure" for instructions on programming the remaining keys.
1.Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN.
2.Enter scan tool. Follow the SECURITY ACCESS PROCEDURE to obtain security access.
3.From scan tool menu, select IGNITION KEY CODE ERASE.
4.NOTE: Do NOT select any additional commands from this menu. Turn the ignition switch to OFF and disconnect scan tool.
5.Insert the first encoded key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the switch to RUN for three seconds.
6.Insert the second encoded key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the switch to RUN for three seconds.
7.The vehicle should now start with both ignition keys.
I guess if he is going to stick you for per key + erasing it, rather then shop hr labor rate, there is not much you can do. Having to replace the child seat again might more then make up for the overcharge from the dealer.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:34 PM
sorry to hear about your truck, but be happy that you didnt have a kid inside when that happen.

Quick Reply: Stolen Supercrew