2004 - 2008 F-150

Remote Starter Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote Starter Installation Question

Trying to install a remote starter in my 2004 F150 Lariat SCREW......

The Unit is a ReadyRemote Model 24921 from DEI/DesignTech

Also have a Directed 1100F Interface Module...

I have pretty much everything hooked up except the IM, and I can't for the life of me find where the TX and RX wires connect....Heck I can't find the Transponder Connector that is supposed to be under the steering column... The chart from Directed shows a 4 pin "type B" connector....can't find it... there is however a connector there that is a "Type C" with 4 wires (2 black ones, a yellow, and a pink/green), but nothing is plugged into it... Is this it??

Also I have the keypad/keyless entry on the truck, do I need to go to the Body Control Module behind the backseat..or is there a way for me to connect to the door trigger wire behind the kickpanel???

Any help is appreciated...

Old 12-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Old 12-27-2006, 10:59 PM
you can actualy access the door switch wire from your kick panel on the drivers side. it is a black/blue wire in the harness. and to fine the wiring for your pats module,you can take the cover off the steering column to access it. i would have recomended the ford remote start instal for your truck though. it is a good system with a good warrenty. and you can still use your keyless entry as well.

Last edited by palerider70; 12-27-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks.... I hear ya, but I already have the remote starter and the Interface Module... 20/20 hindsight I will not do this again!!! but since I'm up to my eyeballs in you know what...I need to finish what I have started. :o

My head is still spinning...

I'm still at a loss for finding the transponder connection where I can find the TX and RX wires so I can hook up the 1100F PATS Bypass Module.....

The instructions from Directed shows that there are 5 Transponder Connector Types for Ford... The 2004 F150 is supposed to have a Type B... I swear that there is no connector / harness with 4 wires that looks like a Type B... There is one connector under there that looks like a Type C, and it does have 4 wires...

Has anyone installed one of these Bypass Modules that require you to connect it to the RX and TX wires in a 2004 - 2006 F150?

Old 12-27-2006, 11:50 PM
I installed a cheetah remote start I got off of ebay. It only cost 30 dollars and works excellent. The pats box should have an antenna that goes around the original one on the steering column. Also go to bull dog security web site as they have the newest wiring colors/charts. My starter hasn't been made since 1998 and it went into my 04 no issues using the included diagrams and the bull dog charts. I found my lock unlock wires in the drivers side channel that go the body control module. I beleive they were pink/yellow strip and pink/blue it says on the bull dog site. Good luck. It is worth it when it works.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:17 AM
The TX goes to white with light green stripe out of the lock cylinder.

The RX goes to the gray with orange stripe out of the lock cylinder.

I hope that helps! It's directly from the instructions I got for mine (Code Alarm).

Old 12-28-2006, 08:19 AM
There is a black ring that goes around the ignition itself. There is a
green plug with four wires coming out of it. These wires you just tap
into with them.

TX is white with light green stripe
RX is gray with orange stripe
Ground is black with light blue stripe.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks guys..found the wires....now I have other issues...

Without hooking up the 1100F AND with the key in the ignition, the remote started DOES start the truck...sometimes it runs, sometimes it runes for 5-10 second and shuts off and then automatically restarts...then run for 5-10 seconds...

I assume I have to switch to tachometer mode from voltage mode?? Anyone know where I can find the right wire for the tachometer.....the instructions say the wire is "NOT red/lt.green or red"....

OK, that's one issue...

Also tried programming the 1100F....

Got 2 green flashes for standard installation mode,,,and that's where it ends...the unit will not recognize the keys..tried restarting the programming procedure, and now the 1100F has a red light..

Tried a few times...sometimes I get red lights, sometimes greeen...

I'm about to stick my head in the oven and turn on the gas...

Old 12-28-2006, 12:16 PM
You can get the wire for your tach off any injector. Just don't put it on the red or redish colour wire. I think it is grey but either way put it on the other one. Then program for tach mode.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by powerage
You can get the wire for your tach off any injector. Just don't put it on the red or redish colour wire. I think it is grey but either way put it on the other one. Then program for tach mode.
Cool...

I see the gray connectors on top of each fuel injector...they all have one red/green wire, and one that is different color for each injector.... just hook up to the non red/green wire, and that's it?

Old 12-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Yikes!!!

Hooked up to the fuel injector wire (not the red one) and now the remote starter does not work at all....before it at least ran for 5 seconds...

It might be time to start ripping out everything and throw all the wires and remotes and modules as far into the woods as I can....

To add insult to injury, my truck was the "test" vehicle...have 2 more units, one for my wife and one for the mother-in-law....

Old 12-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey, if nothing else this can be a lesson to all you DIY guys out there.... DON'T try this at home.

I'm sure the first one is the worst on to install, but I have spent 2.5 hours on hold over two days with customer service at "Directed", it is just not worth it... I say work a few hour of OT at work and pay someone to do this.... this is just insanity, plain and simple....

Old 12-28-2006, 01:59 PM
I have a code alarm system so it is different from yours but may operate the same or similar. I had the problem where sometimes it would shut off after a few seconds. I had to go into programming mode and and change the input from >5 volts to <5 volts. I dont kow if you can do this w/ your model or not. Good luck.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:26 PM
OK, I can't give up...

Hood wasn't closed all the way, so kill switch was grounded....

OK, now (with the key in the ignition at the off position) the remote starter does start the truck and it does not shut off after a few seconds...

I should probably stick to my day job...... I still can't get the 1100F module to work...I have programmed it 12 times per the instructions, and no cigar...

Step 1 seems to go OK, I get the 2 x green flashes to indicate standard installation mode, and when I press the programming button to register my selection, the LED turns solid green for a second or two, then turns off.

Step 2: I use both keys, when I insert the first key the LED does not come on as it is supposed to... I tried to continue using both keys, but when I go to start the truck with the remote the LED turns RED...

Now when I reset the module by removing and reinserting the power harness while holding the program button the LED turns RED. If I start the truck with the key, the LED turns back to green blinking..

Do I have any wires crossed?

Blue/white from 1100F is connected to Blue from Remote Starter
Black from 1100F is connected/grounded to the truck
Red from 1100F is connected to red power wire that supplies the Remote Starter
Pink from 1100F is connected to pink/white 2nd Ignition wire from remote starter
Gray red (TX) from 1100F is connected to the white/green from PATS
Green/Red (RX) from 1100F is connected to gray/orange from PATS

Old 12-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Don't feel bad. I'm doing the same install right now and having the same issues with the 1100F. I worked on it for 8 hrs yesterday and have still had no luck. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter Installation Question