2004 - 2008 F-150

Any 2005 owners cure the steering wheel nibble?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call it a safety concern as more of annoyance. I had a 2004 with the steering nibble. They never did fix it. I ended up getting a new truck. I'd suggest the same. 3 times to fix it or 30 consecutive days at the dealer is LemonLaw worthy. I'd look into it.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I wouldn't exactly call it a safety concern as more of annoyance. I had a 2004 with the steering nibble. They never did fix it. I ended up getting a new truck. I'd suggest the same. 3 times to fix it or 30 consecutive days at the dealer is LemonLaw worthy. I'd look into it.
It's a safety concern for me.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ArizonaThumper
It's a safety concern for me.
There is a difference between a steering wheel nibble and a shimmy. Just terminology here. A steering wheel nibble is a slight vibration in the steering wheel that would not cause a driver to loose control. A shimmy on the other hand is a shaking of the steering wheel that could cause a driving problem. All we need to do is use the correct terms in order to avoid any misinterpretations.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 PM

The freeking thing bounces like a jumping bean on acid!!! Is that clear enough for it to be a safety concern!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:42 PM
I have OEM 20 inch rims and the Pirelli tires and if the truck sits for a day or two I have a bad shimmy from flat spots for a good 15 minutes before it smooths out, then no problems.

This is one of the reasons I specifically bought a truck off of the lot and waited for one that had what I wanted, so I could drive it a bunch first to see that it was good to go. Not a guaranteed way of preventing issues, but better than accepting brand new off the truck with no real time to drive it before you take ownership.

Someone earlier said a tech said their nibble was "within spec." I hope you asked for a definition and printout of what within spec is. I highly doubt they have some way of measuring this and making such a ludicrous claim.

Also the reason I wait 6 months or more before I fill out those stupid JD Power surveys the dealers always begs you to fill out and give the highest marks on for everything. Not much of a hammer, but any leverage is good no matter how small.

Lastly, how is FoMoCo about handling customer issues? Never had any problems with my Ford's the dealer did not take care of, so no experience. BMW North America is great interceding with dealers on your behalf when you have problems there and the dealer puts up a fight.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by srdkevin
The freeking thing bounces like a jumping bean on acid!!! Is that clear enough for it to be a safety concern!

LOL!!

I don't care what it's call I want it to stop before something breaks and I go crashing into something.

I am sure during the FORD/FIRESTONE affair there were lot's of poeple saying that it was not a safety issue, and how many lives lost and crashes due to two companies not willing to call it a safety issue.

I will put money down that this issue is causing extra strain and wear on the truck. Being a former Marine mechanic, tech, field service rep for boeing and now an eng. for a high tech company I think I am very well qualified to make this bold statement. A boat customer, or a Airline and FAA sure would not accept this kind of vibration as ok and would call it a safety issue.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by mrpropaganda
I have OEM 20 inch rims and the Pirelli tires and if the truck sits for a day or two I have a bad shimmy from flat spots for a good 15 minutes before it smooths out, then no problems.

This is one of the reasons I specifically bought a truck off of the lot and waited for one that had what I wanted, so I could drive it a bunch first to see that it was good to go. Not a guaranteed way of preventing issues, but better than accepting brand new off the truck with no real time to drive it before you take ownership.

Someone earlier said a tech said their nibble was "within spec." I hope you asked for a definition and printout of what within spec is. I highly doubt they have some way of measuring this and making such a ludicrous claim.

Also the reason I wait 6 months or more before I fill out those stupid JD Power surveys the dealers always begs you to fill out and give the highest marks on for everything. Not much of a hammer, but any leverage is good no matter how small.

Lastly, how is FoMoCo about handling customer issues? Never had any problems with my Ford's the dealer did not take care of, so no experience. BMW North America is great interceding with dealers on your behalf when you have problems there and the dealer puts up a fight.

The Field eng. that went for a ride with me said it was within spec. even while he and I could clearly see and feel the vibrations. I asked him whos spec and what are the specs. he had no answere, then I told him it was not within my spec and that was all that mattered. He started to being a smart *** so I stopped the truck and told him to get out. Never heard from him again.

And yes they can measure the vibration.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Arrow installing "CounterAct"

I have an appointment with a family member's tire shop to have "CounterAct" installed in my OEM 18's with 285 BFG AT's on them. I was told by my family tireman "we put a 5 or 6oz bag in that size" and "It is as-good or better-than spin balancing" , "balances everything, not just the tire and wheel".
So we will see...
I will let you all know the outcome. Happy Nibbling.

P.S. - I googled "counteract" and here is the address, alot of reading if you have some time.
http://www.counteractbalancing.com

Old 07-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by ArizonaThumper
The Field eng. that went for a ride with me said it was within spec. even while he and I could clearly see and feel the vibrations. I asked him whos spec and what are the specs. he had no answere, then I told him it was not within my spec and that was all that mattered. He started to being a smart *** so I stopped the truck and told him to get out. Never heard from him again.

And yes they can measure the vibration.
I would love to see "the spec" if it exists.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by LsuSuperCrew
Any update on if this works or not? I've been looking for a solution for my steering wheel shake, I hope this is it.
Sorry Air Force had me busy all week. Air show this past weekend plus a exercise this week. I got the night off so I'll be doing them when the sun comes back up and the skeeters go to bed.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:44 AM
My Pirelli's do the same thing. After sitting over night it takes about 5 miles to smooth out. They have been balanced and rotated several times. When they wear out there gone. I hate those b*****ds
Originally Posted by mrpropaganda

Old 07-18-2007, 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by memLT-1
My Pirelli's do the same thing. After sitting over night it takes about 5 miles to smooth out. They have been balanced and rotated several times. When they wear out there gone. I hate those b*****ds
Mine had the pirellis at first untill they went thru 2 sets, then I made them put michelins on still same problem, but the michelins are better tires

Old 07-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by Impact9
I've been reading about that stuff online and quite a few people seem to really like that stuff. I went ahead and placed a order from www.innovativebalancing.com for their balancing media since after driving 500 miles yesterday, all highway, the truck could really use some relief from the shake.
I finally got these beads installed today in my front tires pulling off 3 oz and 2.5 oz weights and put in 10 oz packs of beads per tire. manufature said too much wouldn't hurt as the bead will balance out in the tire. I didn't really get to testing them out on the road a whole lot since most of the roads between work and home are fairly rough county blacktop roads. I did notice that the ride was a bit quieter than before using the beads and the control was a bit more responsive. Hard to tell on the nimble yet. As I get more road time i'll post any new discoveries.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Impact9
I finally got these beads installed today in my front tires pulling off 3 oz and 2.5 oz weights and put in 10 oz packs of beads per tire. manufature said too much wouldn't hurt as the bead will balance out in the tire. I didn't really get to testing them out on the road a whole lot since most of the roads between work and home are fairly rough county blacktop roads. I did notice that the ride was a bit quieter than before using the beads and the control was a bit more responsive. Hard to tell on the nimble yet. As I get more road time i'll post any new discoveries.
Thanks for the info, keep us updated.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Nibble

I had to replace my front rotors and pads before the nibble went away. Also, had the caliper slide pins lubed.

Quick Reply: Any 2005 owners cure the steering wheel nibble?