2004 - 2008 F-150

Any 2005 owners cure the steering wheel nibble?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only time I could actually feel them balance is when the tread was full of mud and letting fly out after pulling onto a highway. In my uncles tire shop 8 out of 10 tires get this stuff instead of wheel weights. Granted most will go into truck tires and then the rest goes into problem tires that come back and cant be balanced but are still what the manufacturer calls "acceptable range"

All i know is , this particular set of BFG's I owned could not get rid of the wobble until we threw off all the weights and added around 3oz of Equal to each wheel. Solved my problem in my Bronco which we know had the old "wander-steering" setup.

Not being a physics man, I still think that since the tire and rotor would be a simultaneous rotating mass the Equal should balance out anything spinning off of the center of the hub. At least that is whats clicking in my head. Feel free to chime in here, Im only giving ideas that make sense to me.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by juice9595
the only time I could actually feel them balance is when the tread was full of mud and letting fly out after pulling onto a highway. In my uncles tire shop 8 out of 10 tires get this stuff instead of wheel weights. Granted most will go into truck tires and then the rest goes into problem tires that come back and cant be balanced but are still what the manufacturer calls "acceptable range"

All i know is , this particular set of BFG's I owned could not get rid of the wobble until we threw off all the weights and added around 3oz of Equal to each wheel. Solved my problem in my Bronco which we know had the old "wander-steering" setup.

Not being a physics man, I still think that since the tire and rotor would be a simultaneous rotating mass the Equal should balance out anything spinning off of the center of the hub. At least that is whats clicking in my head. Feel free to chime in here, Im only giving ideas that make sense to me.
Any solution to the steering wheel nibble problem is welcome, but even a wheel balance seems to be an incomplete solution. We want to find the root cause so that no matter what we do in the future the problem will not come up again. For instance, if we have an internal air pressure sensing system that may not like the micro-bead substance solution what will you do? The suspension should work without error and not require any 3rd party solutions regardless of their benefit.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 AM
I agree completely about the "Incomplete solution"
BUT Ford didnt make it right and continues to use the same design.
I cant remember who called it a "giant tuning fork" but there seem to be many ways of de-tuning this fork or at least changing its resonant frequency to some other road speed. For some people its tire&wheel combo, others balancing, steering components (which i think will wobble after they get some miles on them). The only 100 percent cure is Ford to Re-design the steering or the frame.
Until then we need to do what we can because a Ford engineer would never come on here and tell all of us "why" its doing that.

Oh yeah, and Equal does work with pressure monitoring systems in Hummers anyway, cant say for sure about others ,those are the only monitors I have seen personally.

""The suspension should work without error and not require any 3rd party solutions regardless of their benefit."" You hit the nail on the head there. "hello Ford, are you listening?" lol

Old 07-09-2007, 11:10 AM

who do we contact at ford to get this fixed???

Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I've been reading about that stuff online and quite a few people seem to really like that stuff. I went ahead and placed a order from www.innovativebalancing.com for their balancing media since after driving 500 miles yesterday, all highway, the truck could really use some relief from the shake.

Last edited by Impact9; 07-09-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by juice9595
I cant remember who called it a "giant tuning fork"
That was me.

Impact9, let us know how that stuff works.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:45 PM
ahh, yes it was, and a whole post ahead of that too, lol "at myself"

hand me another please , then i will dance like this guy

Old 07-10-2007, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by MeanGene
That was me.

Impact9, let us know how that stuff works.
Will do!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:35 PM
I have a 4" Rancho lift on my 04 Screw with 315's and it nibbles like a son-of-a-gun. I had some BFG's on it and it nibbled away the outside of the front tires really fast ( with rotations every 5,000 miles ), only got around 30,000 miles out of them. I thought it had something to do with the tires so I got some new Mickey Thompson's put on plus a four wheel alignment. I thought that the toe or camber was somehow all messed up. The drive home was amazing, no nibble what so ever, but it didn't last long. With only about 1,000 miles on the new tires, guess who is back... Mr. Nibble. I haven't hit a pot hole, haven't went off roading, haven't hit a curb, nada. So I was wondering if anyone else had tire wear caused by the nibble?

Old 07-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Impact9
I've been reading about that stuff online and quite a few people seem to really like that stuff. I went ahead and placed a order from www.innovativebalancing.com for their balancing media since after driving 500 miles yesterday, all highway, the truck could really use some relief from the shake.

Let us know how you like the item... Im to the point now that I'll try anything. Im so sick of the nibble, 80% of my driving is 70-80mph and it just bothers the crap out of me. She does fine in the city limits, but highway speed will knock ashes off my cig's if I lay my hand over the sterring wheel! and that usually after I detail the inside!

Old 07-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Impact9

Any update on if this works or not? I've been looking for a solution for my steering wheel shake, I hope this is it.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Hi all,

I have been on this forum a few times and have the nibble also. (2006 FX4). Had it into the dealer several times, managers and engineers have rode in it and felt the nibble, the manager acknowlged the problem, the eng. said it was normal and within spec

Sounds like a few of the techs here have been doing some good work that ford engineers are incapable of of understanding, keep up the great work and lets keep this issue alive untill ford does something. I think it is correct that the whole truck has turned into a big tunning fork, but not for the right reasons as a tuning fork is a standard which others are measured by. Notice the emblem on Yamaha motorcycles, 3 tuning forks in a circle, a standard which others are measured by. Yamaha has set the standard, and ford should do the same.

This also is a safety problem, and a reliability concern as the parts affected are going to wear sooner. I will be filing a complant with the NTBS as a safety concern, and I hope others do the same.

Currently my truck is at the dealer and I have invited the service manager to keep it as long as he wants and drive it every day, soon he will get tired of the nibble and tired of seeing me and the truck. I plan to make his life miserable and the misery will follow a path to the guy with the last name of FORD.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:00 PM

we need to get a petetion together i looked back at my warranty info and i took mine in for a service and warranty check up and was suggested to get the tires balanced i did that and everything thing else including a new steering rack and rotors and still the Fking nibble so lets do something it is a safety concern!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

My '05 has no nibble what so ever. Guess I'm lucky?

Old 07-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by srdkevin
we need to get a petetion together i looked back at my warranty info and i took mine in for a service and warranty check up and was suggested to get the tires balanced i did that and everything thing else including a new steering rack and rotors and still the Fking nibble so lets do something it is a safety concern!!!!!!!!!!!!!
\

It is a safety concern once my f150 was so bad I had to slow down to keep the POS from coming apart. This shaking could cause and important link to fail. BE alert with these F150s

Quick Reply: Any 2005 owners cure the steering wheel nibble?