2004 - 2008 F-150

RAFA26 needs help with TWIN-TURBO set-up.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumadar
I'm not a turbo expert, but I can tell you this... anyone who says you will have "turbo lag" or a "problem" getting the boost up has NO idea what they are talking about. ESPECIALLY with sequential twin turbos that will absolutely not even be close to being a problem. your problem will be keeping your TIRES stuck to the GROUND.
Maybe I was not clear, maybe too much of a general statement so let me clarify. An issue arises "big" or "small" depending upon application, resides with automatic turbo applications. Most commonly referred to as "brake boosting". Unlike manual applications where the driver while cruising can adjust rpms to increase turbine speeds, automatics must brake during acceleration to create ideal boost during a "from a roll race". A perfect example is the video from turbof150.com. You hear the turbo spool but no movement.

This may or may not be of concern for this application. But when racing from a roll, the amount of time it takes to spool the turbos to create the horsepower to intially stay with the whipple trq might be of concern to Rafa. Maybe not. However using your t/c from a dead stop those turbos are going to make sweet signatures across the pavement. Bottomline turbos will make more horsepower at any rpm, however automatic turbos do have a minor and I emphasize minor disadvantage from a roll, but trust me when the turbos do spool you will blow by that whipples "mediocer" top end. The intial difference will probably be very minor with the turbo size unlike the 76mm and up..

Rafa- The turbos they chose for your application are a great choice, you just need to decide what type of beast you want to harness. Because it doesn't matter how much hp/trq you create if you can't get it to the wheels

Have fun I'll be watching-

Old 10-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
I'm not a turbo expert, but I can tell you this... anyone who says you will have "turbo lag" or a "problem" getting the boost up has NO idea what they are talking about. ESPECIALLY with sequential twin turbos that will absolutely not even be close to being a problem. your problem will be keeping your TIRES stuck to the GROUND.
Originally Posted by skidmarkracing
go to my site and check out one of my first setups. www.turbof150.com

go to the vids section. You will see me there in the white supercrew. I am running a single 67mm, running 55mph I spool the turbo and hammer it. You can here the tires sqeel when it down shifts into second

Old 10-18-2006, 10:21 PM
actually the turbo spooling was me turning the OD off and letting the converter lock into third before I nailed it. From a roll at any speed I can spin the tires now. At my 12psi setup the turbo would spool instantly. On the video I was in OD, then clicked the button to turn it off, never changed my foot on the pedal.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by skidmarkracing
actually the turbo spooling was me turning the OD off and letting the converter lock into third before I nailed it. From a roll at any speed I can spin the tires now. At my 12psi setup the turbo would spool instantly. On the video I was in OD, then clicked the button to turn it off, never changed my foot on the pedal.
I agree there are certain applications where there is limited "brake boosting". I was just trying to use your video as an easy example. Like I said with the 67trim there should not be much of an inital issue. I was only commenting to a gerneral concern with automatic turbo setups. Your video was just convienient. From my expirience no automatic turbos have instant "full boost".

I like what you have done, nice work

Another example, is this mustang http://media.putfile.com/TTStang. I don't think he's finishing his beer.... But I could be wrong. But wow like I said when they spool its the most amazing display of power!!!

Old 10-19-2006, 09:34 PM
I see. I agree. That mustang is a nice vid

Quick Reply: RAFA26 needs help with TWIN-TURBO set-up.