2004 - 2008 F-150

Floor Jack & Oil Change Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floor Jack & Oil Change Questions

I'm about mechanically inclined as Bill Gates, but the motivation is there so I have to ask lame questions sometimes like the following.

First, what size floor jack would I need for my truck? Will 1 1/2 ton work or a 2 ton? I saw recommendations for a Roush 3-ton aluminum from Sam's or Costco which I'll probably get, but I was wondering what weight rating was necessary. I did search, I swear.

Second, does anyone have an oil change how to for dummies? I know what oil and filter I'm going to use (Mobil1 5w-20 and Motorcraft FL-820S) and I'm going to get the Craftsman universal oil filter wrench. Could you guys fill me in or point me to a step by step of the oil change process?

Thank you for the help.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Floor jack, 2 ton would suffice as long as it has a long reach for lifting trucks and SUVs. I don't think you'll need one to change the oil unless you have short arms or a big gut.

Oil change advice: keep the oil pan plug removed until after the filter has been changed. I get 1/4 to 1/2 quart of oil more out of the engine once the filter is removed. It requires an extra oil catch pan, but otherwise mine doesn't take the whole 7 qts afterwards.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by henkyjenky
I'm about mechanically inclined as Bill Gates, but the motivation is there so I have to ask lame questions sometimes like the following.

First, what size floor jack would I need for my truck? Will 1 1/2 ton work or a 2 ton? I saw recommendations for a Roush 3-ton aluminum from Sam's or Costco which I'll probably get, but I was wondering what weight rating was necessary. I did search, I swear.

Second, does anyone have an oil change how to for dummies? I know what oil and filter I'm going to use (Mobil1 5w-20 and Motorcraft FL-820S) and I'm going to get the Craftsman universal oil filter wrench. Could you guys fill me in or point me to a step by step of the oil change process?

Thank you for the help.
Great choice in oil and filter. If this is going to be the first oil change on your truck take it to the dealer. Then do them your self. The factory filter doesn't come off that easy. Get a Hane's manual to have when you do it. It's not hard at all. Take the plug out at the bottom of the oil pan and drain the oil. Get a plastic bag to put around the filter after you get it a little loose so it's less messy and a few shop towels as well to put under ir as you remove it. Wipe the filter flange clean. Put a little oil an the seal of the new filter I also like to add some oil in it before I install it. Then go ahead and install the new filter.The filter has instruction on the box for how tight to make it. If the oil is done draining put the plug back in it. Snug it don't go crazy or it will be a mother to get off the next time. Add the oil the under the hood in the cap that says oil. Your truck takes a total of 7 quarts. Get the manual so you have it for reference.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the great advice and quick replies. I friggin love this forum.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:41 PM
And while your under there it would be a good idea to check the transfer case and diffs, at the least make sure their not leaking by looking at the seals.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Thanks again for the help. It was tough but in the end I won. It really helped to have the right tools, and I forgot about the bag around the filter until it was too late. Took about an hour, can't wait till I get it down fast.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:46 AM
I never saw a cooler full of beer in the directions

Old 10-04-2006, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
I never saw a cooler full of beer in the directions

Then you missed the most important steps. You're oil changes must be boring.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Fumoto valve

Took about an hour, can't wait till I get it down fast.
A fumoto valve makes oil changes even easier. No fumbling around with the
drain plug. I only wish I would have bought the one with the nipple on it.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Sweet! I had seen a thread on those a while ago and totally forgot about them. Definitely going to snag on of those. Thanks!

Old 10-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Just to reiterate what is written above, a two-ton is enough, but I recommend going with a three ton. I have two two-ton floor jacks from different manufacturers and neither of them is tall enough to lift the truck without a block (which is dangerous).

Grim

Old 10-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Grim
Just to reiterate what is written above, a two-ton is enough, but I recommend going with a three ton. I have two two-ton floor jacks from different manufacturers and neither of them is tall enough to lift the truck without a block (which is dangerous).

Grim

Good to know, thanks.

By the way, the fumoto F-106 is the right valve for my 5.4l '06, correct?

Old 10-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have the Roush jack from Sam's Club. pretty hard to beat it.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use a 3 ton floor jack and stands. Can't go wrong with a little more capacity than you need for an extra margin of safety.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:08 PM
By the way, the fumoto F-106 is the right valve for my 5.4l '06, correct?
Yes, F-106 is the regular, F-106N is the one with the nipple.
I would get the nipple, then you can drain the oil straight into a container,
and would only need an oil pan under the filter.

Quick Reply: Floor Jack & Oil Change Questions