2004 - 2008 F-150

Limb Raisers??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limb Raisers??

i want to put some limb raisers on my truck for off roading so i dont smash my windshield cause all the trails here have alot of trees overhanging.
i know i need the brush guard and im trying to find one that would work well enough so i can fab up some clamp areas. the trans4mer guard looks good but is expensive. any suggestions on grille guards and a way to mount to the roof?

these are what limb raisers are for those of you who dont know.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...770&anum=10641

the steel cables running from the roof rack to the bull bar.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 PM
wow if u are going to go down trails like that your nice new lifted truck is going to be scratched and dented in no time and will look like sh** i dont understand maybe u should pic a better offroading area.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:58 PM
im going to clear 3M my truck in the vulnerable spots.the limbs are high enough to where its at the top of my windshield.....so if anything my roof.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not a very common mod whatsoever in the offroad scene (not a big concern for scratches). If you're going to take it offroad you're going to have to deal with scratches Pat, last weekend I went through a tight trail with what I'd call soft brush...well the truck had new scratches everywhere (and I noticed this among the previous ones). Your truck is pretty new and in good shape, if anything brushes up against your black paint even in the slightest, especially if your paint is in good condition it's going to scratch it shockingly easily. Stick to the mud, and light trails for now until your truck ages. Break a branch off a bush in your yard and test it out by lightly running it against the truck. If that makes you squeamish you better ask yourself what you were thinking. It's really not a big deal as you can buff most out but you're going to get some that are unconcealable. Everytime I come off the trail I underestimate the scratches.

I do encourage you to wheel your truck but I won't encourage you to follow any beater Jeeper trails.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:32 PM
allrsdup is correct. you should have seen my last truck! go buy a truck like that rover in the picture to screw around with, break, and then still have something to drive during the week when your toy is broke. that is the path i took

Old 10-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
I do encourage you to wheel your truck but I won't encourage you to follow any beater Jeeper trails.

Those are the trails that have gotten me in trouble in the past.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:37 PM
well its jsut for when i go on trails.

and i like the look haha

cannon your forget that im 16 years old

Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Suspended
I've only got to say one thing, custom.

PS: I thought this truck had to last you until you got out of college.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:47 PM
it does, which is why im building it to last.

scratches aint going to harm its life

coilovers to handle anything off roadand on road.....lightweight tires (which is why i love these trxus)

edge
hopefully the custom exhaust im drawing up right now.....true duals, the dual tip same side exit in front of tire on both sides of the truck.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by patshea098
it does, which is why im building it to last.

scratches aint going to harm its life

coilovers to handle anything off roadand on road.....lightweight tires (which is why i love these trxus)

edge
hopefully the custom exhaust im drawing up right now.....true duals, the dual tip same side exit in front of tire on both sides of the truck.
Trust me if you offroad it, its not going to last as long. Being that your 16 now, this truck has to last you quite some time. Take it for what its worth though.

I was thinking about doing the same set-up but its a no go, the gas tank is in the way on the drivers side.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:14 PM

Do you know if thast a indepindent lightbar or a roof rack. I was looking for somthing thast a indepindent lightbar so i can put some lights on my roof but I dont want a light bar cause im getting a bed cover too.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Just get your cousin a 6 pack and tie him to your hood!

Old 10-02-2006, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkinttrim
Just get your cousin a 6 pack and tie him to your hood!
lol

Pat, the only advantage to a lightweight tire is a marginal difference in power and steering rack integrity. In other words the same amount of torque is being applied on your axles, diffs, shafts, tranny, tcase, etc as a 300lb tire with the same diameter. Now in your case you swapped your gears so your tcase is working close to what it was like stock as well as your tranny, driveshafts, etc. Anything from your diffs and behind (axle ends, ring gear, but not the input pinion, etc) are taking the extra stress from your gear reduction, I think the front 8.8 diff is the bottleneck from your setup currently. This should give you a good idea of what to watch out for if something does go wrong offroad. Your diffs (hypothetically) will be first to break (if ever), if not another part of your axle shaft/end. Everything is running about stock from there forward.

With 3.73's the stress is distributed mostly to the tcase (always in 4lo w/37's) and can cause for extreme heat buildup in there due to gear reduction in low range, probably where I'm going to find some damage when I open it up. In other words if you have weak diffs it would be best to have gear reduction in other stronger areas you may have built up. Let me know if you see any flaws in this I may have missed.

How did I do with this explanation, practicing for an upcoming pursuasive speech.

Last edited by Josiah; 10-02-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:25 AM
its a roof rack, of course id know its my brothers

Old 11-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Hey Pat, did you get your limb raisers installed yet? Pics?

Quick Reply: Limb Raisers??