2004 - 2008 F-150

I'm suprised my 4.6 gets rubber on 1-2 shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm suprised my 4.6 gets rubber on 1-2 shift

Is anyone else with a 4.6 breaking the tires loose on the 1-2 shift with full throttle?

Odd question to ask but today I nailed it from about 5 MPH, just needed to get somewhere quickly, and when the 1-2 shift hit I laid about two feet of rubber. This is on 'desert mix' which is very coarse asphalt. I did it again later, just to see if it would and again about 2 feet.

I have a Diablo Predator and I recently re-customized my tune, running 91 octane blend fuel, timing across both bands retarded one notch (about 4 degrees), shift RPM at 4900. Both those settings are below the Diablo Premium tune. I have my shift pressure set at 8 on a scale of 20.

I recently changed my tune settings to the one notch retarded as I get ping with the 93 octane tune.
I have an AEM Brute Force and MagnaFlow exhaust.

Against that my truck has the larger heavier 18 inch Lariat rims/tires.
They are taller by a half inch or so from stock. 3.55 gears, open rear.
Also I have about 200 lbs of extras (tonneau, stereo equipment, tires/rims etc.) over the stock weight.
Throw in my 1/8 ton and it adds up.
So burning rubber on the second shift caught me by surprise.
Chris

Old 09-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Put that shift pressure at 20 and watchem burn on the shift..

Old 09-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by khendrix2374
Put that shift pressure at 20 and watchem burn on the shift..

At twelve it didn't burn rubber at shift. At 16 (just for a few minutes) it just slammed.
Chris

Old 09-21-2006, 10:37 PM
laying rubber

I do this on takeoff with mine. never had it 1-2 shift, but you can see what I have done in my sig. Imagine when I add fullheaders and high flow cats and a set of cams, not to mention those troyer e-fans and underdrive pulleys. gonna have to run 345's on the rear when I do that

Old 09-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6modobsession
I do this on takeoff with mine. never had it 1-2 shift, but you can see what I have done in my sig. Imagine when I add fullheaders and high flow cats and a set of cams, not to mention those troyer e-fans and underdrive pulleys. gonna have to run 345's on the rear when I do that

My truck will light them up about six feet on launch, but that's really not the same. The second gear 'scratch' just startled me.

You running stock gears? 3.55 or 3.73? With the bucks you are putting in I would think swapping out the gears would come first. More effective power in gears than in headers, cats, e-fans and underdrive pulleys.
The cams we have put out plenty of power, just not at the low RPM's we drive them at. Drop the gearing 10-15 percent and your present cams will perform much better.
Of course if you do all that, plus drop the gearing you will probably out perform 95% of the trucks on the road. Still have to be afraid of Lightning though...

Old 09-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Mine only break loose when nailing it and cutting the wheel on dry pavement. Wet is a different story. Never broke loose 1-2, it just slams into 2nd. I suspect the 3.55's are the reason, doubt the tonneau and bedrug add that much weight. This is with a Edge tuner on level 2 timing bumped for 93 octane.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chris i don't know if you have u.d. pulleys but tell me about them i have a friend that wants to sell me a set for 125 I am pretty much sold on them.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:59 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by etrevino103186
chris i don't know if you have u.d. pulleys but tell me about them i have a friend that wants to sell me a set for 125 I am pretty much sold on them.
Don't do it. Invest your money somewhere else like e-fans. Your power steering probobly doesnt like you right now i couldnt imagine with pullies. Running a high idle rpm is dumb in my opinion. Now with the e-fans your engine will rev quicker and drop revs faster even with the stock dashpot pcm settings. For all the bolt ons you throw at a 4.6 it will be tough to keep up with a stock 5.4. And the edge is a weak excuse for *tuning* for the 4.6. Play with the bigboys and upgrade to the xc2 if you are looking for real performance in your 4.6. For a basic ground for all you guys i would go copper plugs 1 range colder.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anthony, i don't know how or why but my truck is suprisingly quick. everytime i go out atleast one person wants to race me. i don't know if they are trying to build their confidence because they think a lifted f150 is slow but 7 times out of 10 i win. now whenever i race i do turn my ac off to give myself the edge since i need i all i can get. so do you all think that instead of pullies i should get a cai, real muffler, or efans? i would like to do headers but i can't justify spending so much for so litte.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned
anthony, i don't know how or why but my truck is suprisingly quick. everytime i go out atleast one person wants to race me. i don't know if they are trying to build their confidence because they think a lifted f150 is slow but 7 times out of 10 i win. now whenever i race i do turn my ac off to give myself the edge since i need i all i can get. so do you all think that instead of pullies i should get a cai, real muffler, or efans? i would like to do headers but i can't justify spending so much for so litte.
Well the AC is controled by the PCM where if you go over 400 counts on the throttle pedal it will automatically turn off the AC. (400 counts is about half throttle)

Some say "Everything Adds Up" - well at a cost. On my old truck (reg cab) i went thru 3 tuners (predator, edge, xc2), e-fans, u/d pullies, 4.56 gears, intake, gms c.o.p. kit, and some minor other stuff. After all that my average 0-60 was 7.5 (winter times where lower) and that was tuning the motor to give me every little bit. Now all that adds up to 2500 after i am done. WTF was i thinking...for 4 seocnds faster 0-60. 2500/4 = 625 dollars a second.

There is a point on the 4.6 where you have to know where to stop because you won't be gaining much to nothing for some things.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:02 PM

Underdrive pulleys should really be last on the mod list.
Tuner is first, exhaust second, gearing if power is really wanted.
E-fans may help if you don't live somewhere really, really hot like I do.

The savings in power from under driving pulleys is obtained by slowing down your water pump, alternator, A/C or power steering.
I've seen kits for each one of these.

Slowing down the water pump is plain dangerous unless you live in the far North.

Slowing down the alternator may work out, if you don't have any electrical extras.
I have added more than a dozen power grabbing devices, if anything I may want to increase my alternator output at idle, the exact opposite of Underdrive.

Slowing down your A/C isn't a good idea south of Colorado.

Slowing down your power steering may be OK, unless like me you run bigger than stock tires.

So under driving is not really a great mod unless racing is all you do.
If it is a daily driver I would tend against it.
Chris

Old 09-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
Underdrive pulleys should really be last on the mod list.
Tuner is first, exhaust second, gearing if power is really wanted.
E-fans may help if you don't live somewhere really, really hot like I do.

The savings in power from under driving pulleys is obtained by slowing down your water pump, alternator, A/C or power steering.
I've seen kits for each one of these.

Slowing down the water pump is plain dangerous unless you live in the far North.

Slowing down the alternator may work out, if you don't have any electrical extras.
I have added more than a dozen power grabbing devices, if anything I may want to increase my alternator output at idle, the exact opposite of Underdrive.

Slowing down your A/C isn't a good idea south of Colorado.

Slowing down your power steering may be OK, unless like me you run bigger than stock tires.

So under driving is not really a great mod unless racing is all you do.
If it is a daily driver I would tend against it.
Chris
The water pump is kept fairly close to stock operating conditions as the crankshaft pulley and waterpump pulley are literally inveresed in size for a sense. That is the reason for the two peice set, smaller crankshaft pulley, larger waterpump pulley, which equals the same belt length.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by a n t h o n y
The water pump is kept fairly close to stock operating conditions as the crankshaft pulley and waterpump pulley are literally inveresed in size for a sense. That is the reason for the two peice set, smaller crankshaft pulley, larger waterpump pulley, which equals the same belt length.
That is the usual case, but I found several kits where the waterpump was slowed. There are about a dozen kits out there, plus a few ways to 'mix and match' them.
Chris

Old 09-22-2006, 04:21 PM
No way in my truck. Only time i can break the tires loose is if im going around a corner and the street is wet...

Old 09-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by anaheim
No way in my truck. Only time i can break the tires loose is if im going around a corner and the street is wet...

You running a 4.6 still? Tuner? Also, your pic is of a Supercab. My truck you remember is a Reg cab. Gonna have a lot better pound to power ratio.
Chris

Quick Reply: I'm suprised my 4.6 gets rubber on 1-2 shift