Old 09-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made a decision

I decided to get a turbo set up. I chose this over a super charger because
  1. It will be a fun project
  2. Might be cheaper than a supercharger
  3. More HP than a supercharger once tuned
  4. Cool BOV noise
I did some of my home work on this(not really) but any help or info or input is deffintly welcome. I just wanted to give you guys the heads up.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at the STS turbo. Crazy hp is to be made and it's very cheap.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
Look at the STS turbo. Crazy hp is to be made and it's very cheap.
Hey, I was checking that out but Im still not to crazy bout how that intake is like........right there with the water and all the elements. I read the site and I know they have a filter relocation kit, air filter sock thing and a filter shield but still, It just doesnt look right.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Suspended
This should be interesting, but FYI expect to spend MORE than a supercharger setup when it is all said and done.

and you will likely need another vehciles as it will have some downtime.

On a sidenote, how easy/hard was the install on the Line of Fire? And where did you get it? When I searched for it I was told they don't make them for the 2004+ F150s.

and can you get some better pics during the day? Does it look REd or pinkish at night?

Old 09-03-2006, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nuclearthreat54
Hey, I was checking that out but Im still not to crazy bout how that intake is like........right there with the water and all the elements. I read the site and I know they have a filter relocation kit, air filter sock thing and a filter shield but still, It just doesnt look right.
A modded 5.3 chevy (cam'd, s/c'd, etc) running a supercharger with upgraded pulley was pulling around a 13.6 in the 1/4, with his old STS turbo he was pushing a 12.5 in the 1/4th. I have no idea why someone would get rid of the STS so I'd look around, there may be a common issue with it such as debris intake.

Btw Lumadar, the F150 on 40's who made it to Pismo had the line of fire and it was not perfectly straight, far from it. Looked as if it had bends in it and was kinked to crap as well. Just looked cheap, no offense Matt maybe it was something you fixed.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
This should be interesting, but FYI expect to spend MORE than a supercharger setup when it is all said and done.

and you will likely need another vehciles as it will have some downtime.

On a sidenote, how easy/hard was the install on the Line of Fire? And where did you get it? When I searched for it I was told they don't make them for the 2004+ F150s.

and can you get some better pics during the day? Does it look REd or pinkish at night?
Hey, I didnt install the light But its held on by double sided tape and its bolted to somthing(I think, i have to check 2moro, i remeber seeing somthing liek that), the one on my dads truck started to lean after a month. Turned out the tape was bad or somthign like that idk, the shop just put new tape on it. But it shoudl be relitivly easy to install. I woulda done it my self if i wasnt to lazy

At night its as red as my tails and at daytime too. I'll try to get pics of it 2moro durring the day if it istn raining(we've been getting bad rain and stuff down here since its hurricane season) but ive seen it on my dads truck durring the day and its good looking. It was only 60 bucks.

I bought it at this local truck shop, idk when you looked but they are everywhere now. Ebay and every where, you can probly find one now.

Last edited by nuclearthreat54; 09-03-2006 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:40 PM
I decided to get a turbo set up. I chose this over a super charger because
  1. It will be a fun project
  2. Might be cheaper than a supercharger
  3. More HP than a supercharger once tuned
  4. Cool BOV noise
I did some of my home work on this(not really) but any help or info or input is deffintly welcome. I just wanted to give you guys the heads up.
My input

1. What is you definition of a fun project?
2. Cost is going to be more than the most expensive SC on the market now
3. Depending on how much $ you put in
4. BOV sound great on my Nissan, but is that a reason to make a choice?
5. I do agree with your statement on the amount of homework done..

Old 09-03-2006, 11:44 PM
My deffiniton is somthign that I will enjoy doing(making my truck faster and learning a thing or two while doign it). Also, the STS systems are cheap.....under 4000..i herd. But that could be wrong. About the BOV, yes it is. Ive always liked that sound and its not a life changing decision, where i cant go back on it or somthing. and lol to the homework thing.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I decided to get a turbo set up. I chose this over a super charger because I did some of my home work on this(not really) but any help or info or input is deffintly welcome. I just wanted to give you guys the heads up.
MIBTY (mine is bigger then yours) thats what we had on our tuba section tshirts my junior year. LOL
to the silver tubas tho.
-Patrick

Old 09-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
MIBTY (mine is bigger then yours) thats what we had on our tuba section tshirts my junior year. LOL
to the silver tubas tho.
-Patrick
Ha! You play Tuba? Schweet, thats a good Idea(the shirt thing). I might have to steal that lol jk

Old 09-04-2006, 12:13 AM
My deffiniton is somthign that I will enjoy doing(making my truck faster and learning a thing or two while doign it).
Also,the STS systems are cheap.....under 4000..i herd.
But that could be wrong.
About the BOV, yes it is. Ive always liked that sound and its not a life changing decision, where i cant go back on it or somthing. and lol to the homework thing.
If that works for you But something to think about

1.For me fun is driving and enjoying the results of my achieved goal.
2.If you have big money to have the labor done, you are lucky.. but you still have the wait for the job to be done by the shop... NO Fun
3. Hearing is the downfall of many of forums because often it is only part of the needed information. Since the Under $4k price you heard about does not include, installation, tuning, intercooler, bov, etc that makes the cheap price fine if you just want to look at it on a shelf. Plus it is not the application for our F150's
4.If turbocharging our trucks 04-06 F150's was that easy and cheap, there would be more than a handfull one the streets right now..
Plus all of the truck mags would have bigger than life cover stories announcing
and reviewing A New available Turbo F150 System

Old 09-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by anaheim_drew
If that works for you But something to think about

1.For me fun is driving and enjoying the results of my achieved goal.
2.If you have big money to have the labor done, you are lucky.. but you still have the wait for the job to be done by the shop... NO Fun
3. Hearing is the downfall of many of forums because often it is only part of the needed information. Since the Under $4k price you heard about does not include, installation, tuning, intercooler, bov, etc that makes the cheap price fine if you just want to look at it on a shelf. Plus it is not the application for our F150's
4.If turbocharging our trucks 04-06 F150's was that easy and cheap, there would be more than a handfull one the streets right now..
Plus all of the truck mags would have bigger than life cover stories announcing
and reviewing A New available Turbo F150 System
Yeah your right, but in response to your .4 In theory, turbo charging my truck shoudl be a realitivly easy task...right?

Get the turbo. Do the piping. Get the necesary componets: BOV, proper wastegate, intercooler. Get a tune and bam. done....right? Instalation wont take longer than a supercharger, but once again thats hear say on forums. But thanks for the advice.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Yeah your right, but in response to your .4 In theory, turbo charging my truck shoudl be a realitivly easy task...right?

Get the turbo. Do the piping. Get the necesary componets: BOV, proper wastegate, intercooler. Get a tune and bam. done....right? Instalation wont take longer than a supercharger, but once again thats hear say on forums. But thanks for the advice.
Keep in mind I am not saying what you should do just pointing out issues that get overlooked..
Yes in theory turbo charging your truck is easy....... its just a matter of applying that theory into a working out of the box application that is the hold up for our trucks. R&D takes money, There are a number of fab/tuner kits available... If you have the money, time, or resources to complete the task

turbo-trucks

Old 09-04-2006, 01:08 AM
Do EXTENSIVE research before you start your project.
Im in the middle of a Supra Project and its a lot more money and work than expected.

The initial parts may seem to fall in line with the price of a SC but dont forget that other things may beed replacement as well to support the turbo system.

Some of the things I didnt expect:

New fuel delivery system (ie. fuel rail + fuel pump) with higher flow injectors
Upgraded MAF
Electronics to support turbo system like the boost controller, F/S meter etc...
and some others I cant think of at the moment (after a few drinks)

Basically its costing me thousands more than expected.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:32 AM
You can get a used STS for around 2k to 3k remember most systems will fit... just need to get some one to tune it I found one for a SRT but it should work for F-150
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-06...pagenameZWDVWd

Quick Reply: Made a decision