2004 - 2008 F-150

Wheel Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Spacers?

Anyone here use a wheel spacer? I like my stock wheels, it's just that I feel a little wider stance would make it look tougher. Like a 1" hub centric spacer. Thoughts?

Old 08-07-2006, 11:47 AM
When I used to install wheels/tires I used spacers. Nothing near that thick though. Maybe 3/8" or 1/2" spacers. I think something that thick would put too much stress on the lugs. You would be better off going with a leveling kit and 33" or 35" tires to get the wider look you are looking for.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:06 PM
This is the type of spacer I was looking at. It bols to your rotor with your stock lugs and then you wheel bolts to it with a seperate set of lugs. I am told that it doesn't place added stress on the lugs as it is hub-centric and most of the stress is transferred across the spindle. Not sure if that's true or not, but my dad has been running a similar set of these on his truck for a couple of years without any problems.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Running spacers on anything over 4500 lbs is a bad idea. The stress is there no matter what kind of spacer you use. The farther away from the hub the wheel is, the more leverage is placed on the spacer wrt distance. It is not really the wgt., but the acceleration of wgt over a bump or pothole that kills ya. I would go with different tires/wheels.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by speedfreak
This is the type of spacer I was looking at. It bols to your rotor with your stock lugs and then you wheel bolts to it with a seperate set of lugs. I am told that it doesn't place added stress on the lugs as it is hub-centric and most of the stress is transferred across the spindle. Not sure if that's true or not, but my dad has been running a similar set of these on his truck for a couple of years without any problems.

[IMG][/IMG]
I had some that 2" in the front and 2 1/2" in the rear on a 2001 Sport Trac and it really set it off and they worked great with no problems for a few years. But then I had a 2001 Navigator that I did a 1" spacer/adapter (5 to 6 lug) which was 2 pieces and everything was fine until one day I pulled up to a red light and some lady was like (in a queer eye type voice) "hey, I think your tire thingy is kind of loose" and I looked down from my window and sure enough, that sucker was wobbling like a sumbich. I pulled over and checked it , and it turns out one of the studs holding the two pieces together had snapped in two! If I had been driving down the highway at higher speeds, I'm pretty sure that I would have lost the whole damn tire/rim! These days I think I'll just stick to either changing wheels and tires or lifting my trucks.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KSpencer
Running spacers on anything over 4500 lbs is a bad idea. The stress is there no matter what kind of spacer you use. The farther away from the hub the wheel is, the more leverage is placed on the spacer wrt distance. It is not really the wgt., but the acceleration of wgt over a bump or pothole that kills ya. I would go with different tires/wheels.
+1

Not worth the risk of having catastrophic failure and taking out your truck (and maybe somebody else).

Old 08-07-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Like this?

Old 08-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Seeing that story about poor old Slappy pretty much sealed the deal for me. Spacers? um... no thanks.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Just one more place for a failure to occur due to overtightening (or loose lug nuts).

Old 08-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Suspended
I'd stay away from ALL wheel spacers. .

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers?