2004 - 2008 F-150

Ford really dropped the ball

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
When you start a thread that is an opinion, I assume you are inviting other's opinions. Regardless, you will get opinions, some agreeing some disagreeing.

I will state again, my truck ran very well after I had it reflashed about a year ago (for the lag). I bought the Edge and installed it last week, primarily for the guages and I am having fun with those. I can tell very little difference in Level 2 and my stock tune. I can tell quite a bit of difference with Level 3. Once the new wears off, I might very well go back to the the stock tune.

I had two Silverados before this truck, one a company truck and then my 2002. Both were good trucks but my F-150 will out run both of them and do it quieter and more comfortably.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
When you start a thread that is an opinion, I assume you are inviting other's opinions. Regardless, you will get opinions, some agreeing some disagreeing.

I will state again, my truck ran very well after I had it reflashed about a year ago (for the lag). I bought the Edge and installed it last week, primarily for the guages and I am having fun with those. I can tell very little difference in Level 2 and my stock tune. I can tell quite a bit of difference with Level 3. Once the new wears off, I might very well go back to the the stock tune.

I had two Silverados before this truck, one a company truck and then my 2002. Both were good trucks but my F-150 will out run both of them and do it quieter and more comfortably.
Opinions are what I am looking for, not sarcastic "I have to defend my truck" remarks that add nothing. I appreciate your reply and am glad that you like your truck. One thing that confuses me is your tuner. All of the guys here that talk about the Edge and Xcal2 say that it like "night and day" in response. This is one of the first times I have heard stock tune equaling level 2. Also, your truck looks to be quite a bit lighter than mine, so yeah, I'd say you could probably do a lot better. All I'm saying is drivetrain responsiveness and output should not require extra cash to equal my '97 which had less ponies and torque.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by KSpencer
Opinions are what I am looking for, not sarcastic "I have to defend my truck" remarks that add nothing. I appreciate your reply and am glad that you like your truck. One thing that confuses me is your tuner. All of the guys here that talk about the Edge and Xcal2 say that it like "night and day" in response. This is one of the first times I have heard stock tune equaling level 2. Also, your truck looks to be quite a bit lighter than mine, so yeah, I'd say you could probably do a lot better. All I'm saying is drivetrain responsiveness and output should not require extra cash to equal my '97 which had less ponies and torque.
Mine is a 4 X 2 so it is lighter than yours. Smaller wheels and tires, 3.55 gears.

My stock tune actually leaves harder than Level 2 but it has a flat spot from 2500 to 3500 rpms. Level 2 did not leave as hard but did cure the flat spot, plus the shifts are slightly firmer. With Level 3, I adjusted the shifts to +18 as recommeded by a guy at Edge and it scratches rubber at the 1-2 shift. The change in engine timing on Level 3 is very noticable as the engine no longer sounds "lazy". On the old breaker point distriutors, we would twist the distributor till the engine bogged, then back off slightly. That would be the max advance and my truck sounds like that on Level 3. Very responsive.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=J-150]the 2004 forum is becoming such a joke. I can't believe the head-in-the-sand mentality around here. Heaven forbid you critisize the F150.
Ford could sell dog crap and some of you guys would buy it and claim its the best thing in the world because it has a Blue Oval.

.................................................. .................................................. ....................................

i have to agree with that statement some people are like that. it is like that with everything tho. chevy guys live and die by chevy ford guys live and die by ford and so on and so on... i just buy the vehical i like the best at the time no special loyalty to a make or model cause things always change.

Last edited by allrsdup; 07-19-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm not flaming anyone because everyone is entitled to their opinion but I couldn't be happier with my truck.

It is 2 years old this month and I haven't had a lick of trouble out of it.

I drove a mustang for years prior therefore I was expecting a drop in seat of the pants feel. That said I've never had a problem passing, towing, or off-roading with the truck. When I have needed power it was there.

I love the quiet, smooth ride and if that comes as the expense of some acceleration that is fine by me. My days of drag racing are over anyhow.

I did purchase an XCAL more because I was curious than anything. I'm happy with that too but I dont believe it is necessary to enjoy the truck.

I have driven a Chevy pickup and they do "feel" faster but again I didn't like the overall feel of the ride in the end. Never driven a Titan.

My .02 anyways....

Good luck with truck.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '05 5.4 will run circles around my '99 5.4. My '05 is a SCrew where my '99 was a regular cab short bed. Gas mileage is comparable, but I've only got 4500 on the '05 so far. Considering the '05 weighs a good 1500 lbs. more and is much safer and bigger all around, I don't think that's bad at all. The 5.4 will walk all over a 351, and get better gas mileage while doing it. There is no comparison between a 5.4 and a 351...unless there is a problem with your 5.4. Have you taken it to the dealer? A reflash like others have had done?

I'm with Thump...did you guys not test drive these trucks before you bought them? Sheesh, it if it is that bad, why did you buy the dam# thing?

Old 07-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by fordmantpw

I'm with Thump...did you guys not test drive these trucks before you bought them? Sheesh, it if it is that bad, why did you buy the dam# thing?

EXACTLY.... and the answer is because they are a bunch of bitter negative whiners that just like to bitch.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=I'm with Thump...did you guys not test drive these trucks before you bought them? Sheesh, it if it is that bad, why did you buy the dam# thing? [/QUOTE]
Great. Another sarcastic remark. I'm glad you like your truck, but please read my previous post about the test drive.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:25 PM
i agreee with the premise of this thread, but not because a 5.4 3v cannot make plenty of power. rather i crticise the "beancounter" decision to use a 4.6l cam in it. if you look into 4v cams used in all 4v's you will find 190 - 205 intake duration and similar lift figures. if we had only 20 degrees more duration, the story would be different. 5.4 3v would be the dominant motor under 6l.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
EXACTLY.... and the answer is because they are a bunch of bitter negative whiners that just like to bitch.

is your truck stock? If not why?

Old 07-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My thoughts...

Yes it is a shame the F150 has to be modded to run with other STOCK full size light duty trucks. The F150's are pigs from the factory compared to other brands.

Ford needs to get a bigger engine choice out fast for those who want more power.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by assasinator
i agreee with the premise of this thread, but not because a 5.4 3v cannot make plenty of power. rather i crticise the "beancounter" decision to use a 4.6l cam in it. if you look into 4v cams used in all 4v's you will find 190 - 205 intake duration and similar lift figures. if we had only 20 degrees more duration, the story would be different. 5.4 3v would be the dominant motor under 6l.
That is probably true, so...why didn't Ford just do this? The bottom line is that Ford did not give us a properly tooled and tuned 5.4L triton.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by 04 RED LARIAT
My thoughts...

Yes it is a shame the F150 has to be modded to run with other STOCK full size light duty trucks. The F150's are pigs from the factory compared to other brands.

Ford needs to get a bigger engine choice out fast for those who want more power.

Agreed. I love the 3v 5.4. I just don't love what they did to it in a finished production vehicle. I have a feeling a sportier tune would probably help my mpg.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:14 PM
I really like my truck, but does it need more power? For the average person the 5.4L 3V has more than than enough power. But me me, yes it does. But my fathers 99 F350 SC DRW 4X4 7.3L that made 374 RWHP and 76X lbft. didn't have enough power either, IMO. Since I am one of thoses guys that can never leave anything alone or god for bid stock. I do feel that Ford puts out the best truck on the market, is this because I own a couple of them? No, its because I have driven and rode in alot of Dodge and Chevys and just didn't think they were at the same level. And after seeing what some of my buddies are getting for mileage with their non Ford trucks, I am more than happy with mine. Since most people that I know that have the chevy 6.0L (rated at 300hp) can get over 13mpg and a couple of people that have the Hemi are getting at best 14-15mpg. One of my buddies has a Tundra SC 4X4 and he can get up to 19 mpg, but he doesn't like to pull anything more than his 16' flat bottom with it, and he has actually used my truck a few times for pulling a few bigger loads.

I looked at and researched other trucks before I bought this truck. And no other truck had what I wanted or was looking for a truck to do. Plus I loved the style of these trucks.

But all of this is just my opinion.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:31 PM
I have NEVER read more people whinning then you guys are in this thread!

holy crap! If you don't like the trucks, SELL IT! Geez.... it's insane you guys buy a 30K and more truck, then come on here and cry about it.

whats wrong with you guys? The same guys who are complaining about the F-150 will probably buy another F-150 when this is all said and done, then come on here and cry about it some more. You guys are nuts

Quick Reply: Ford really dropped the ball