2004 - 2008 F-150

Completely OEM Looking LED taillights!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Exactly what I was thinking, that just seems like too little light at night coming out the bottom. It's an easy fix, but I'm not into spending $300 on something I'll need to "fix".

I'm talking with someone regarding building several sets of 04-06 F150 taillights.

The would just be OEM taillights that are modified to use an LED pattern in the place where the halogen top bulb is. This is exactly what we've been looking for and it's plug and play.

The only thing is it wouldn't be DOT approved, but honestly who is going to pull you over for this? I'm more likely to get pulled over for not using a turn signal.

The top LED pattern would be a block pattern (like all that we've seen) and it would control the park lights, brake lights and turn signal. With two LEDs on the side as side markers for safety purposes (look at the euro style LED taillight and you'll see what I'm talking about).

The company will be getting back to me soon regarding price and I'll report back. If they're interested in setting up a group-buy scenario for a discount I'll contact RP directly first to set this up according to the rules.

Duke
Sweet! Please keep us informed!!

You rule!! (If this happens.... )

Old 07-05-2006, 11:13 AM
UPDATE:

So after working with the LED taillight retrofitter I've come to the following results:

Option #1:

LED taillights that would be identical to those on an Infiniti QX56 regarding LED pattern. The only downside to this is the OEM taillight lense on the F150 has some reflector qualities and would take away from the OEM look and pattern of the QX56 design. In this scenario you would be best to swap your OEM lense with the clear lense of the aftermarket Depo LED taillight (jumping your price up $175 to get a set of Depo LED taillights)

Cost:
1) reflectors= $25 (go around each individual LED, this is how many OEM setups work)
2) LEDs=$40-50
3) Casting material=$25 (to mold the QX56 interior shroud)
4) Labor =$200
5) PCB, power mgmt. cmpts. $125 (prevents blinking problems, keeps output of each LED consistent, prevents over heating in extreme temperatures)
Total = $415-425

QX56 Taillight picture:

-or-

Option #2:
These would be LED taillights retrofitted into your taillights. You'd be allowed to pick your own LED pattern or design.

Cost:
1) Labor=$200
2) PCB, power mgmt. cmpts. $125
3) LEDs (wide angle)=$25
4) Bezeling=$50-60
Total = $400-410

Here are examples of his work. This would be how your "shroud" looks like inside the taillight. Given we don't have clear lenses it would diminish the OEM look a little, also remember you can pick your own pattern. I think 4 rows of 7 LEDs would look the best.

Either way they're both extremely expensive options in my opinion after you add the cost of buying another set of OEM taillights to use in the retrofit.

I'm going to send inquiries to other manufacturers I know and see what I can find out.

Duke

Old 07-05-2006, 11:46 AM
YIKES!!! Four-hundo. No way!

Old 07-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by txnole
YIKES!!! Four-hundo. No way!
Yeah I know. Does anyone have the DEPO LED taillights and is willing to try and open them up and paint the inside red to match OEM instead of the chrome or black look?

Duke

Old 07-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very interesting and I'm glad you're trail blazing here .... BUT.... still a rich for my blood. I really would like to have a set but, probably not for four bills...

Did anyone ever talk to that shop in Texas?

Old 07-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Very interesting and I'm glad you're trail blazing here .... BUT.... still a rich for my blood. I really would like to have a set but, probably not for four bills...

Did anyone ever talk to that shop in Texas?
I agree. $400+ is way too steep. I'm going to keep contacting other vendors and see if I can find a willing manufacturer for less.

The issue with doing the retrofit myself is complex. Our lenses have some built in flutes. Not enough flutes to hide the LED bulbs and circuit boards so we need a shroud to make it look clean. However, there is just enough flutes in the stock lense to not make the LEDs look identical from different viewing angles (as you notice most all LED taillights have clear or red tinted lenses with 0 flutes.)

Duke

Old 07-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
I agree. $400+ is way too steep. I'm going to keep contacting other vendors and see if I can find a willing manufacturer for less.

The issue with doing the retrofit myself is complex. Our lenses have some built in flutes. Not enough flutes to hide the LED bulbs and circuit boards so we need a shroud to make it look clean. However, there is just enough flutes in the stock lense to not make the LEDs look identical from different viewing angles (as you notice most all LED taillights have clear or red tinted lenses with 0 flutes.)

Duke
Yeah, I see your point. Crap, there's got to be some better options.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Just got an email back from the manufacturer after I emailed him saying we couldn't do it at the $400 price.

He said he'll cutt his labor down $100 for Option #2 if we all have the same LED pattern.

"If you can muster up 10 people that are willing to pay a deposit upfront, and
ship out their tailamps, I'm sure I can knock it down to $300 total + shipping.
The only thing is every design will have to be the same."

So if we have 10 people, it'd be $300 plus shipping and the cost of buying taillights off ebay (personally I'd buy the Harley Davidson taillights).

I'm still on the fence on this one, not from a quality stand point, but a fical responsibility point. I've spent quite a bit in the past month on this truck and I think I should hedge it off now.

Duke

Old 07-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Doesnt sound like tooo awful bad of a price, but it would suck to buy these then a few months later someone finally come out with what we are looking for.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HCFR-Halligan
Doesnt sound like tooo awful bad of a price, but it would suck to buy these then a few months later someone finally come out with what we are looking for.

Edzachery what I was thinking... I can't help but think that someone is 'close' to this type of product... I'm going to wait it out.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by HCFR-Halligan
Well I'm not too sure we'll ever see exactly what we're looking for. I mean if they haven't done it for three years, I don't think it'll happen. Just like H13 SS bulbs, it'll be "in process".

My only worry is the flutes built into the OEM lense and what, if any, impact they'll have on the output.

Duke

Old 07-06-2006, 03:00 PM
I just dont understand why APC put the hump there in the first place? If they didnt have it I am sure they would make 2x more of a killing on their taillights. Why dont you email them and ask if they could make some pairs without the HUMP?

Old 07-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by 04procompLARIAT
I just dont understand why APC put the hump there in the first place? If they didnt have it I am sure they would make 2x more of a killing on their taillights. Why dont you email them and ask if they could make some pairs without the HUMP?
I agree. That's the only thing keeping me from getting them.

Emailing them might be a good idea.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:00 PM
tgt
Originally Posted by 04procompLARIAT
Does anyone have INSTALLED pics of the hump? I'm not sure it would look that bad?

-Travis

Old 07-06-2006, 08:19 PM
If you look on my sig you can sorta see it. Ill post pics later tomarrow.

Quick Reply: Completely OEM Looking LED taillights!