2004 - 2008 F-150

JLT CAI & SCT - My impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JLT CAI & SCT - My impressions

Just my $.02. I bought a JLT for my truck ('04 Lariat) and an SCT tuner from Tucker. I went on a road trip for 2000 miles immediately afterwards. The truck seemed to pull better (hauling a car) with the tune/CAI. I also set it to 87 octane to save $, which was nice. With the tuner and CAI it growls more when you are on the gas. Especially as the RPM's go up, it gets louder. This particular kit seems to make the most sense as it blocks the heat from the engine bay and doesn't have a long way to travel before going through the TB. I enjoy every bit of it and would buy another intake from Jay in a heartbeat. I would say this is a definite buy!

Dan Neinstadt
SVTOA-Twin Cities Chapter Director
Proud JLT supporter!

Old 06-12-2006, 12:40 PM
was it worth the $500?

Old 06-12-2006, 02:42 PM
SnowmaNick
Do you have pics of the installed set up? What else have you had on the truck that you are comparing it to? What other perormance mods have you had done and how are these affected (better/worse exhaust noise, etc).

Thanks.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by SnowmaNick
Do you have pics of the installed set up? What else have you had on the truck that you are comparing it to? What other perormance mods have you had done and how are these affected (better/worse exhaust noise, etc).

Thanks.

Holy cow Nick...one question at a time

I too would like to know if it worth the $500.00. Seems pretty steep.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Its not smog legal ..Since we are in the Republic of Kalifornia we cant play with the JLT kit

Old 06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Suspended
I've been debating on this kit or my Edge and a Airaid or Volant. . Hmm.

Lets hear more about this kit!

Old 06-13-2006, 02:54 PM
My '04 is bone stock, I bought it with 30k miles on it. With JUST the tuner and intake, going from 87 to 93 octane (Yes, I know this isn't a totally "fair" comparison) I can DEFINETLY tell the difference. The truck growls a lot more and it seems to accellerate smooth and quick.

In my honest opinion it was worth the $500 but I'm still struggling to find out if I should mess with the shift pressure. You can go up to 25% increase in pressure with the SCT and I'm scared to do that!

What's next on the mod list?!

Dan

Old 06-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Screw2004
Its not smog legal ..Since we are in the Republic of Kalifornia we cant play with the JLT kit
Just curious but couldn't you guys in Cali put one on, then when inspection time rolls around swap it out for the factory piece? I can't imagine the intake taking more than 20 min to swap out.

On a side note I went to get my inspection the other day. I pulled up, told the guy the mileage on the car, handed him $10.00, my license, registration, and insurance, he came out and put a sticker on the car. Didn't check one thing on the car lol. Well New Orleans is good for some things lol

Old 06-13-2006, 03:15 PM
SnowmaNick
Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT
Just curious but couldn't you guys in Cali put one on, then when inspection time rolls around swap it out for the factory piece? I can't imagine the intake taking more than 20 min to swap out.
True, but depending on the cop and how curious and thorough they are, if they pull you over they can inspet your vehicle if they believe you have changed out items. So, if they think your engine sounds loud and they caught you speeding on the freeeway they could have you pop the hood and then they see the intake. They ask for the C.A.R.B. EO number and sticker, you don't have it, whamo it's a simple fix it ticket for the cops, but it goes down as defective equipment on your insurance, thats 2 points on your insurance, so your rate jumps. Exhausts are worse, they have a complete and thorough testing procedure in place on how to determine the volume of the exhaust and if it falls into what is considered noise pollution. Since the tests are a little pricey and take time, they then decide to go by the cops judgement. A lot of police don't understand that a 3 DB increase is doubling perceived volume and will guess it is in the noise pollution category. I was with a friend when he got pulled over in his Mustang, everything was street legal and the cop still wrote him a ticket for his Flowmaster exhaust, the judge wouldn't even let him speak when he tried to fight it in court. SoCal is about as bad as it gets. Funny considering how many ricers are running around duct taped together with garbage cans under the read\r bumper.

Last edited by SnowmaNick; 06-13-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by DNeinstadt
Just my $.02. I bought a JLT for my truck ('04 Lariat) and an SCT tuner from Tucker. I went on a road trip for 2000 miles immediately afterwards. The truck seemed to pull better (hauling a car) with the tune/CAI. I also set it to 87 octane to save $, which was nice. With the tuner and CAI it growls more when you are on the gas. Especially as the RPM's go up, it gets louder. This particular kit seems to make the most sense as it blocks the heat from the engine bay and doesn't have a long way to travel before going through the TB. I enjoy every bit of it and would buy another intake from Jay in a heartbeat. I would say this is a definite buy!

Dan Neinstadt
SVTOA-Twin Cities Chapter Director
Proud JLT supporter!
I have nothing bad to say about this combo either. It sounds good/Performs good/and mileage is slightly up. I had a 1714 and airaid combo before and the JLT has much better power and sound...

Old 06-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks guys. I'm glad your happy.

Jay

Quick Reply: JLT CAI & SCT - My impressions