2004 - 2008 F-150

Where are you all installing your spot light switches?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where are you all installing your spot light switches?

I should be getting my PIAA 550's & Westin’s Ultimate Bull Bar this week. I'll be performing the install myself and am wondering on switch position.

I had a brief look around the dash area today and can't really find a spot that I like

Where are you guys, who have installed spot lights, installing your switches? The PIAA 550's come with their own switch, correct?

I'm riding an '05 Lariat Super Crew.

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:28 AM
I used a Carlson lighted rocker switch as the quality is way better than what I've seen in most kits. Its mounted on the panel underneath the steering wheel. Its mounted 2" in and 3 " down from the left edge of the panel. There is a metal anti-submarine plate for your knees behind the plastic panel (so you don't get sucked under the dash in a bad collision). I trimmed about 1.5" off the left edge of the plate using a sawzall and dressed the edge with a grinding wheel so its smooth so that there was no interference with my switches. The nice thing about this location is 1) its low and out of sight so the dash doesn't feel cluttered and 2) the switch sits bettween the two left spokes on my Lariat steering wheel at the 9 o'clock position so despite the fact that its so low, I still see the red light of the switch easily at night to remind me the lights are on.

HTH.

JK

Last edited by JerryK; 03-13-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:35 AM
I mounted the switchs right next to my cig ligter.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:29 AM
im looking at a kit right now with xtreme truck accessories (a shop by my house) and they have a remote instead of a switch, which is nice, because that way i can keep a clean look on my dash, but i really like how cvc did it, i might consider doin that if i dont get the remotes

Old 03-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cvc14,

Just out of curiosity, how does that panel with the lighter come out? I thought about mounting my switches there, but used the panel just to the left of the steering wheel instead. It came out pretty easily once I removed the lower panel below the steering wheel.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:48 AM
mounted mine next to the adjustable gas/brake pedal switch

Old 03-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
cvc14,

Just out of curiosity, how does that panel with the lighter come out? I thought about mounting my switches there, but used the panel just to the left of the steering wheel instead. It came out pretty easily once I removed the lower panel below the steering wheel.
I removed the lower part of the center concle (foward part in the foot well) on the passanger side and was able to put my hand up behind the dash and just push it out from behind. Real easy to do. I since changed the switch from the blue led lights to green ones to match the dash.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:46 PM
I mounted mine in the knee bolster panel inder the steering panel. If you align it carefully, there is room for the switch to miss the metal panel that is under the plastic panel.

There's room for 4 switches without hacking the metal panel (which I assume is part of the crash safety of the cab.) Here's the other side with backup lights and reverse camera switch.

All the mods are documented on my truck's website, click photo below.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:07 AM
similar to cvc14 although I like your switches better.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:20 AM
Thanks fellas.

I like the location next to the cig lighter and reverse sensor as it somewhat discreet and out of the way but still very ergonomic; can't believe I never thought of that. Looks like a gem.

Does that front panel just pop right off? Is there plenty of room back there?

Jerry,

I love that switch you have. It kinda' looks sweet there being all buff n' that. Is that the type of switch where you life the [safety] cover and flick the switch located underneath or is it a standard rocker switch with an illuminated face?

Where was it purchased from? Locally or online?

Old 03-14-2006, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by Grubrunner
Thanks fellas.

I like the location next to the cig lighter and reverse sensor as it somewhat discreet and out of the way but still very ergonomic; can't believe I never thought of that. Looks like a gem.

Does that front panel just pop right off? Is there plenty of room back there?

Jerry,

I love that switch you have. It kinda' looks sweet there being all buff n' that. Is that the type of switch where you life the [safety] cover and flick the switch located underneath or is it a standard rocker switch with an illuminated face?

Its not the type w/ the cover over the switch actually although I know what your talking about. Mine is a Contura Rocker (I guess Carlson got bought?).

Here is the switch:

http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/...2F1031+M37+ENG

Here is the switch cover aka actuator:

http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/...DA1031+M37+ENG

Old 03-14-2006, 02:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
...<snip>... Is that the type of switch where you life the [safety] cover and flick the switch located underneath or is it a standard rocker switch with an illuminated face?

Are you asking about this one :

This looks to be the Carling Technologies switch. www.carlingtech.com
If it is the Carling brand, it is a The V-Series Contura rocker switch.

I use them on my motorcycles, they are HD 20 AMP switches, that are water proof.

Cole Hersey also sells them ( either rebranded Carling switches, or they copied them one for one ) at the BoatsUSA shops ( Westmarine ).

If you have a Boat shop, they should carry them under the Cole Hersey label, or you can try a few of these places online :

1. www.electricalconnection.com
1.1. Somwhat high priced, and at times they can be slow to ship.

2. www.westmarine.com
2.1. Quick ship, but high priced, boat stuff, so they rape pillage and plunder for it.

3. www.digikey.com
3.1. Seem to be the most reasonable price, and good shipping times, this is where I got mine for my motorcycle at. 1/2 price from BoatsUSA // West Marine.

The switch ( again if it is the Carling Switch ) is just a rocker switch. It has a beefy rubber cover on it, as it is water proof. I have had one on my bike for a few thousand miles, without problem.
You can see it on the left hand side here, just above the clutch res :
http://www.pbase.com/sscully/image/43697188/large

Hope this helps answer you question

Last edited by SSCULLY; 03-14-2006 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Change my switch pic to a URL, huge pic
Old 03-14-2006, 02:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
...<snip>...Does that front panel just pop right off? Is there plenty of room back there...<snip>....
Sorry forgot to answer this.

On my '06 it is 2 7mm bolts at the bottom ( think that was the socket size, found a lot of odd socket sizes, not the 6-8-10-12 that I am used to on the Kawi bikes ) and 2 spring clips at the top, that pull out and down a hair. Pull the 2 bolts ( actually screws with hex heads to be correct ) and then as if you were sitting in the seat with your feet on the floor boards, pull the top towards your knees. Sorry not trying to be a post *****, it is just turning out that way.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:44 PM
switch

Used to control aux. reverse lights, but same idea...
good install pic

down, lights red, manually turn on aux lights

up, lights green, automatically turn on in R

Carling switch also.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:15 PM
I put mine next to the adjustable pedal switch. I thought that would be the best place to put it because it kind of blended in. I know the truck is dirty when the pic was taken but I have cleaned it since then so don't freak out guys

Quick Reply: Where are you all installing your spot light switches?