2004 - 2008 F-150

BakFlip Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Bakflip is cool! I have the Advance cover on my SCREW, and I wish I had the Bakflip. It wasn't available (I don't think) when I bought my advance back in August.

There are 2 reasons I would prefer the Bakflip:

1. The Bakflip has 3 panels for the SCREW instead of the 2 I got with my Advance cover.
2. The Bakflip can fully open where as my advance it's one side or the other. They advertise that the Advance can be easily removed and stored in the bed of the truck. Not true. This cover is pretty heavy, cumbersome and it would require a little work to get everything re-aligned once re-installed.

If I had it to do over I would definately get the Bakflip as it's just what I wanted.

Last edited by hotwls13; 04-14-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by nditech
That looks great. Have checked it to see if it is water tight. Now i have a third choice. Leer, A.R.E and now The bakflip. I really like that low profile look. Do you think that it would be paintable if preped right?
Haven't had the chance to check for water tightness yet. Its seems like it would be pretty tight when I installed it. On the sides it has rubber weather strips that overlap probably about 1/3 of the bed rails and then it has drains at the front of the cover that will take water from the cover down rubber tubes and out of the bed. On the tailgate it has a lip that overlaps it about 1/2" and then it sealed underneath with some weatherstripping. The only place that looks suspicious is if water gets into the mounting bracket channels and then runs towards the tailgate. It could then enter the back of the bed between the mounting rails and the tailgate. I think thats pretty unlikely due the weather stripping on the sides. We shall see.

You could probably paint it if you wanted to. The outside is textured ABS plastic. I'm sure that it would have to be treated with some kind of solution or primer to get the paint to stick to it first. But I definitely think it could be painted.

Unless you are dead set on a solid "clam shell" tonneau cover like the Leer or A.R.E. you are talking about, I would definitely go with the Bakflip.

Old 04-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the info Shaneh. This time rather then just rushing right out an purchaseing the leer or A.R.E I want to check out all options. Thanks again for the you help.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:16 AM
I like the look of the bak cover. I"ve got an extang RT now. No complaints but I don't really like the fluttering of it in the wind. Anyway, my question is, will the bak cover work with the bed extender? My extang does but before I got it I tried an access rolling cover and the inside support rails kept it from rotating out on the bed. Also, when it's completely folded up can it be taken off the tracks to full bed access without removing teh support guide rails? One last question, you you have to open your tail gate to open the cover? I don't see any lip or handle to pull the first section up.
Thanks, Great pics by the way, good job.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by MDCurtis
I like the look of the bak cover. I"ve got an extang RT now. No complaints but I don't really like the fluttering of it in the wind. Anyway, my question is, will the bak cover work with the bed extender? My extang does but before I got it I tried an access rolling cover and the inside support rails kept it from rotating out on the bed. Also, when it's completely folded up can it be taken off the tracks to full bed access without removing teh support guide rails? One last question, you you have to open your tail gate to open the cover? I don't see any lip or handle to pull the first section up.
Thanks, Great pics by the way, good job.
To be honest, I haven't even tried it with my bed extender. They claim that it does not interfere though. I'll try it tonight and let you know. To remove it, you have to remove the 2 bolts at the very front. The rails stay in place. Probably take about 5 minutes. This weekend was the first time I had it out on the interstate and it was quiet at 80 - 85 mph. Didn't go any faster than that. The mechanics of opening the cover are all underneath the cover so the tailgate opens without having to lift the cover up. When closing the tailgate I found it better to open the back section a little before closing the gate because of the lip overhang on the cover. Although the tailgate will close without opening it.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Shaneh - you still like it after a few weeks?

BTW - where do those drain tubes drain to? I have a bedliner in my truck so I don't even know if we have holes in the side of the bed where they could go.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Yep, I still love it and I've had several people ask me about it. We've had a good bit of rain down here lately and it stays dry. I wondered the same things about the drain tubes, so I opened up when it had been raining and the tubes were draining water. I actually had a couple of small gaps in my bed between the floor and the front wall that I stuffed the tubes into. I collapsed them pretty good and I was concerned that water wouldn't flow but I tested it and the worked fine. At least I didn't have to drill any holes. I don't have a bedliner, I had LineX installed before I picked it up from the dealer. I had it in my other truck also. Get rid of that bedliner and get it and you'll much happier.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Bakflip update

Shaneh, Are you still satisfied with the Bakflip cover? I am thinking about putting one on my 06screw. How is the finish holding up on the top, also has your unit developed any significant leaks? Thanks,45/70sharpshooter

Old 11-22-2009, 11:24 PM
I have had the BakFlip HD for 2 months on my '06 Screw FX4 and my wife gave me the Line-Ultra for Xmas last year. It was easy to install and has worked perfectly. The pics already posted show the low profile and it is a one hand job to open with the under side cables. It took about an hour to install and has been waterproof so far. I did not install the drains. I did a lot of checking with Extang and others. None came close to the BakFlip, but is also cost me $969.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 PM
I know this is old, but... I've had a Bakflip for over 3 years. I like it a lot, but it has it's flaws. It is so versatile, and easy to use. I haul motorcycles a few times a month. This is why I chose the bakflip. I can take it off and put it back on by myself in less than 5 minutes.

It looks like the new ones have addressed the flaws, and the price reflects it. Mine has been leaking around the panels for quite a while now. I just pulled it off yesterday to take it apart and reseal it before winter. Anyway, since they've improved them, I won't nag about mine. Just wanted to add my 2 cents that it is a great product and fit the bill perfectly for what I wanted in a bed cover...

Quick Reply: BakFlip Tonneau Cover