2004 - 2008 F-150

"Break-in" time for a motor... how long or a myth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate people who think it takes 2000+ to break in a motor. It is no myth but have you ever head of someone blowing out their motor out of the dealer?? Rebuilding an engine in older cars has a different break in period that brand new cars. Yuo dont really need to worry about break in too much. just dont be an idiot and do stupid stuff in your new truck. What I think of when I hear about a break in period is the period where you cant mod. I dont think you should mod your truck/car for a while after its brand new (as in performance mods).

BTW: flooring it in reverse is not a good idea

Old 02-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by KiCk *** FX4
I hate people who think it takes 2000+ to break in a motor. It is no myth but have you ever head of someone blowing out their motor out of the dealer?? Rebuilding an engine in older cars has a different break in period that brand new cars. Yuo dont really need to worry about break in too much. just dont be an idiot and do stupid stuff in your new truck. What I think of when I hear about a break in period is the period where you cant mod. I dont think you should mod your truck/car for a while after its brand new (as in performance mods).

BTW: flooring it in reverse is not a good idea

I've heard that b efore but why not?

Old 02-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by KiCk *** FX4
I dont think you should mod your truck/car for a while after its brand new (as in performance mods).
So all the hot rods can mod there engines before they brake them in

I have had a tuner and exhaust on my truck the first week I got it. Fans and pulleys soon after. Gears and intake not much after that.

Drove it like I stole it even in the dealership parking lot

Old 02-01-2006, 09:42 PM
dont ask me. I agree in that I disagree about the break in period an that it isnt suppose to be foreever but I do believe there is SOME break in period. When you through all these performance mods on your truck when it is brand new it is putting a lot of stress on not only the engine but all the other suspension parts and joints and other things. It is also said by dealers that there is a break in preiod and on some preformance mods that there is a break in period (like the edge).

Old 02-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Well the way I have always done my cars, when I have built them from the ground up, or bought new, is drive them how you feel like it. Maybe the first 3-5 miles or so be gentle on it, specially if its is a fresh built big block... Past that I go rip on it.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by JJG052590
well that interior is like friggin awesome!!! just need a fridge and your set!!! haha but I always thought dont use cruise or anything let the engine and gears really set in for about first 500 miles then easily break in..
lol thanks guys, its more comfortable than my couch I'd say!

Quick Reply: "Break-in" time for a motor... how long or a myth?