2004 - 2008 F-150

Audio system question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio system question

I'm throwing around the idea of getting new speakers in my truck to replace the factory ones. I have a Supercrew XLT with the standard CD player.
What size speakers are in there now? Is there 4 or 6?
Anyone have some reasonably priced suggestions of what I should replace them with?

I know this probably belongs in the audio forum, but no one goes in there.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2006, 09:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I dunno about Supercrews, but my Supercab has 6x8s in the doors front and rear. Can't imagine a Supercrew being any different. I replaced mine with Pioneer TS-870Rs (I think), they were like $50 a pair at Wally World and showed me how much the stock speakers absolutely suck even compared to a set of low ball cheap aftermarkets.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:46 PM

Are there any tweeters in there? It looks like there's a place for them in the doors. Is that for the audiophile only?

Old 01-12-2006, 09:50 PM

I'm not sure, but that is a fine mounting spot for a tweeter in the front door. My truck doesn't have them, maybe someone that has a truck with the Audiophile setup will chime in.

Originally Posted by tardman91
Are there any tweeters in there? It looks like there's a place for them in the doors. Is that for the audiophile only?
Your right. Speaker size is 5x7/6x8 and there is a spot for the tweeters. BTW, there is ALOT of knowledge that frequent the audio forum. I usually go there before I check whats new in here.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, only the audiophile option get the tweeters. I also replaced my factory speakers with Pioneer 3-ways. They sound much more crisp than the factory, but are lacking a little in the bass area. But still much better than before.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:51 PM
How's that for timing! 3 of us posting at exactly the same time.

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2006, 09:54 PM

Are the wires already there in my truck for the tweeters if I wanted to add them? I'm looking to do this as easily as possible, and that includes not running any wires.

If I can't just connect some tweeters I'll just get 4 6x8's and call it a day. Has anyone used the speaker harnesses to connect them? I don't want to cut or splice anything.

After I replace the speakers I have a feeling the deck will be next.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:59 PM

When I replaced my door speakers, I used the connectors off the factory speakers, since it plugs right into the truck's harness. On the factory speaker, each pin has it's own little "ear" that comes off the back of the connector that goes to the leads on the speaker itself. I just cut the leads off the factory speaker and pried the connector off the speaker. Then I flattened down the ears a little, crimped the wires onto the new speakers and connected them to the flattened ears of the factory speakers' connector shells. Ziptied those to the aftermarkets to get them out of the way of the window and plugged right into the factory harness. I thought it over and since I'm gonna be keeping my truck for a long time, I might go back in there and permanently secure the wiring with butt connectors or something.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:02 PM

I think I'll try the connectors if they have them. They're only like $10 and I'd rather not risk ******* things up. I want it to be nice and clean.

I saw another post and it looks like at least the front door speakers will be easy to replace. The back ones seem to take a little more work.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Are the wires already there in my truck for the tweeters if I wanted to add them? I'm looking to do this as easily as possible, and that includes not running any wires.

If I can't just connect some tweeters I'll just get 4 6x8's and call it a day. Has anyone used the speaker harnesses to connect them? I don't want to cut or splice anything.

After I replace the speakers I have a feeling the deck will be next.
If you're thinking of also upgrading your head unit, then you may want to consider some higher quality replacement speakers. Sure my Pioneers are a good match for the factory HU, but you can do sooo much more with a better HU. Example: If you get some higher-end speakers like Infinity Kappas or Alpines or (input name here) with the factory HU, they will probably actually sound WORSE than factory speakers. Reason being is that the factory HU doesn't have enough power to push the speakers... But if you get a good HU and good speakers, you'll be in much better shape... I'm just saying that if you're thinking about replacing your HU, then you'd also benefit from something more than $75 replacement speakers...

But then again, if your financial situation doesn't allow that right now, then just modest speakers will do good also...

Old 01-12-2006, 10:25 PM

I was looking at the sony speakers. They're rated at 160watts.
Any thoughts?

I may or may not go with a new head unit. If I'm happy with the sound I'll just wait for the iPod2Car adapter to come out. If I'm still not happy with the sound I'll get an iPod ready alpine.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Suspended
I would stay away from Sony car products but thats just been my experience. I'd at least get components up front and some coaxles in the rear if not components as well. I'd try to stay with Infinity, Alpine, Polk, and maybe even Rockford Fostgate.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:47 PM

What about these? $106 @ Best Buy, only $77 @ Wal-Mart. Pioneer 4 way speakers.

Last edited by tardman91; 01-12-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:05 PM

anybody have those?

Quick Reply: Audio system question