2004 - 2008 F-150

Anyone get poor reception...please advise!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone get poor reception...please advise!?

If you've installed the Sirius satellite antenna under the passenger side hood cowl, and have experienced any reception issues...please post your opinion.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:50 AM
i think you would.. like sittin under a bridge....why would you want to put it there.. its the size of a silver dollar, you cant even see it on your roof..

chris

my 2 cents..

Old 12-30-2005, 11:58 AM
I had the same problem!!!!

put it on the roof, and keep it flat

Old 12-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Really you should place it on the roof, thas what i did.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:24 PM
I was worried about water leaking...did you go through the 3rd brake light or on the front of the roof? Did you use weatherstriping or sealant to seal the wires coming from interior to exterior?

Old 12-30-2005, 12:44 PM
well the third brake light leaks already.. i had to get my replaces under warrenty... i got the sirus installed after that.. no issues what so ever..the antenna chord is so small..

chris

Old 12-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Suspended
If you worried about leaking, just pick up a tube of silicone and run a bead around the light.

Trending Topics

Old 12-30-2005, 02:28 PM
I installed my antenna under the cowl a few weeks ago. It was an easy install. As far as the drop in reception, I have experienced more instances of signal loss when compared to a roof installation, or even having the antenna just sitting on the dash (both of which I have done). I had the antenna sitting temporarily on the dash when I transferred the unit from my 02 supercrew to my 05 supercrew. I got pretty good signal for a 15 second installation. My 02 supercrew, I ran the wire through the firewall grommet, up the windshield post, under the top windshield moulding to the center of the roof. This was by far the best option as far as signal quality.

The one thing I did notice was that most signal loss occurs while traveling south. I think I need to play with placement of the antenna, although I am having more problems with my satelite receiver, so this may mean a new install.

Hope this helps, even though I have been long winded!

Happy New Year!

Old 12-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah .. .. .. I get poor reception .. .. .. from my damn factory radio!

Old 12-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is exactly why I went to the roof with my Sirius antenna... well, this and my personal experience with my former XM antenna...

So far, it's been flawless on the roof. I installed it about 2 weeks ago.

As for the 3rd brake light leak... as was previously suggested, a little dab of silicone goes a LONG way; in fact, I believe that Quintin (a Ford technician) is actually dealing with the leak on vehicles that he works on in a similar fashion.

After his suggestion to use a very tiny bead of silicone, I have ZERO leaks and works perfectly!

If you're worried about the appearance on the roof, I highly recommend looking into a low-profile antenna. They make these for Sirius and they're available at Best Buy and Circuit Chitty. Here's an example...

Quick Reply: Anyone get poor reception...please advise!?