2004 - 2008 F-150

windshield air noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
windshield air noise

i am getting alot of air noise around the top of the windshield. can't feel any leaking though. i have the low profile lund bug shield which i am sure does not help. when i looked at the outside there is a gap. has any one tried filling that to eliminate the noise? i was thinking about some black rtv.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would use some wide masking tape first before you tried anything permanet, just tape over the area and take it for a drive

Old 12-15-2005, 09:30 AM
excellent idea. i was thinking with all the owners on here some one might have already done the research and developmemt. thanks.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:37 AM
I went round and round with the dealer on this one. They resealed the windsheild twice. No difference. Convinced the Service mgr. that a 40k truck shouldn't have this noise. He authorized a windsheild replacement. Again same level of noise. This is frustrating.
Scratched the paint putting it in the last time. Two days in the paint shop. Not going back to the dealership for this again. I have learned to live with it.
But I would think twice about puchasing another F150 because of it.
Good luck

Old 12-15-2005, 01:40 PM
It's attributed to our wonderful aerodynamics. Roadnoise, isn't as bad as the BMW or Mercedes SUV that my family has; but then again that could be because I have dynamat xtreme and carpet padding in all four dours, which made the cab virtually silent.

I had some guys pull up in a civic with huge subs (i assumed) in the back because they were banging there heads back and forth but I couldn't hear anything. So I rolled down the window a bit, and sure enough there music was crazy loud. I rolled the window back up and was pleseantly suprised that the noise completely went away.

This has its disadvantages though, I have to keep on the look out for cops or ambulances a lot more because it's impossible to hear the sirens if I have the music on at a moderate level.

However, on a windy day, going 80 miles an hour on the highway, I do have "wind noise" but it's a lot less than other SUVs I've had, and those are luxury SUVs.

If you pull your headliner and put some dynamat xtreme in there, you'll kill a lot of your wind noise, just have fun pulling a headliner, supposeably they never look as good when installed a second time.

Duke

Old 12-15-2005, 08:11 PM
I have the same thing and I could actually feel some air entering the cab around the top of the windshield. I tapped off the top of the windshield and drove it and it was noticeably better. I went buy Wally world and picked up some clear silicone window caulk and applied a small bead around the exterior top of the windshield and it’s probably 75% better. You can’t even tell there’s silicone there. I’m thinking of applying a second coat to see if I can reduce it further.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:35 PM
I have the same problem and noticed the moling around the windshield at the driver side door pillar is loose. I'll take it bac to the dealer as soon as I get a chance. Hopefully that's the source and an easy fix.

Trending Topics

Old 12-16-2005, 06:45 AM
thanks, garo1, thats the kind of feedback that i was looking for. i cant feel any air nor do i have any water leaking. looking at the gap i think it would be hard not to have any air noise. what are these design engineers thinking. as soon as it gets warmer i think i will fill and smooth this.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by projetmech
thanks, garo1, thats the kind of feedback that i was looking for. i cant feel any air nor do i have any water leaking. looking at the gap i think it would be hard not to have any air noise. what are these design engineers thinking. as soon as it gets warmer i think i will fill and smooth this.
Glad to help

Old 12-30-2005, 04:02 PM
it got warm enough the other day to put some tape on the gap. regular back electrical tape was just right. drove the truck and the air noise is gone.

that night i am watching tv and they got a ford truck commercial with heat activated foam in the front pillars. what kind of ***** goes thru these engineers heads. put foam in the pillars to quiet the truck down and then leave a 1/4" gap across the top of the window.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by projetmech
it got warm enough the other day to put some tape on the gap. regular back electrical tape was just right. drove the truck and the air noise is gone.

that night i am watching tv and they got a ford truck commercial with heat activated foam in the front pillars. what kind of ***** goes thru these engineers heads. put foam in the pillars to quiet the truck down and then leave a 1/4" gap across the top of the window.
They thought about the foam on tuesday and finished things up on friday.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:15 PM
i think they went drinking thursday night and finished alot of stuff up on friday.

every vehicle i have looked at has some sort of transition material between the window and the metal. the other manufacturers also put a taper on this material. we have a piece of plastic that sticks up a good 1/16" and then has a 1/4 inch gap.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:24 PM
I have a howl in my windshield at about 75+ MPH. Dunno if its even worth taking it to the dealer to have them fix it...

I also JUST now went out and tested my 3rd brake light to se if it was leaking.... It is.

I closed up the windows,doors and turned on the heater with fan on hi speed... Sprayed soapy water around windshield and 3rd brake light.. no bubbles around windsheild but there certainly IS around the 3rd brake light.

GOTTA get that fixed.... AHH I HATE THE DEALER!!!!

Old 12-30-2005, 06:57 PM
I complained about wind noise from the windshield last summer and the dealer said they wouldn't do anything further until I removed my bug deflector. I started noticing the noise at speeds around 40 and on perfectly calm days.

I removed the bug deflector and the noise was just as annoying. I took another service manager (at a 2nd dealership) for a ride and then we went for a ride in his F150 demo to compare. Pretty much the same on both vehicles. So I dropped the issue at the time.

The cab is so quiet that you just notice the noise more than in other vehicles in my opinion. I noticed that my 04 Maxima has a fair amount of the same type of wind noise but my F150 is worse. Very annoying with the radio off. I have just been ignoring this issue with the dealer for the past few months but would be interested to know how successful you all are in sealing up the top of the windshield to quiet things down.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:01 PM
while the electrical tape is not permanent it shows that there is hope in getting rid of the noise. i think as soon as i can get some silicone in the gap i will. they come so close to quality, so close. well maybe not that close looking at the stock price.

Quick Reply: windshield air noise