2004 - 2008 F-150

Troyer E-fan Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Troyer E-fan Wiring Help

I have my passenger tire off right now, and it's getting cold and late so any quick help would be appreciated. Anyone whose removed those damned FASTENERS/PUSHPINS, please tell me the best way to remove these evil pieces of plastic. I have broken every one I've ever tried to remove in my life. I have used a hammer (the back of the hammer with prongs), everything. I've heard a crowbar tip would work well but I don't have one. I am removing the fender liner and it's pretty much out, I just need to pull it out of there. From this step on basically where am I routing the wires. When I set the temperature, what will I need to know, and what did you set yours to? (idling at 163F). I am putting it on hold for another 30 minutes until a buddy who works on cars gets here, and he can further assist me.

Thanks.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
They make special tools to remove those pushpins without too much drama, but some of them are hit and miss. Careful work with a set of side cutters can usually get them out without mangling them too badly.

I don't have any experience setting those electric fans up though, hopefully someone else will be along shortly to better guide you there.

Old 12-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just curious why youre even in the passenger fenderwell, ive never seen the troyer kit myself, so im a little lost?

Old 12-11-2005, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by SoundPer4mance
just curious why youre even in the passenger fenderwell, ive never seen the troyer kit myself, so im a little lost?
Well the fusebox is by the front passenger's right foot, and you have to tap into a starter fuse, I guess it's the #1 fuse or whichever (who knows, thats where we may have went wrong). We finished wiring the entire thing, but the fans won't come on. We thought we did it right, so we have no idea where to start. We're going to double check everything tomorrow morning and see if we can fix it, but until then, here are some pics for SoundPer4mance and any others who may be interested, this is just how we wired it up, maybe these photos will reveal something.:

Old 12-11-2005, 02:05 PM
WoW. That seems extremely complicated. Seems like the kit SHOULD be a stand alone kit, that feeds directly off the battery when needed. I have havent even started wiring up my fans yet. Havent even bought the controller.. But in my head, I can see exactly how to wire it.

Good Luck

Old 12-11-2005, 04:11 PM

It was NOT easy, and it's still not working, we're supposed to fix it this afternoon, we'll see. The directions could be better, they're like photocopied photo's for instructions, no diagrams. It's quite difficult, I wish they'd hire me to draw their diagrams in photoshop. The instructions are pretty down to earth but the images are just useless for the most part, I can't see a damn thing in them black and white photos. If anyone has any idea looking at the picture of the wiring above, whether or not it's correct, let me know. We spliced the two yellow wires into the butt of that add-a-circuit that goes into the fusebox (as shown in the pic), and the two red wires are leads to the battery's positive(+) side. That green wire splices into the AC controller by the compressor, directly into the grey and white striped wire. We then plugged the orange wires into the grounds which were blue on both fans (in our case).

Old 12-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Dayuum!!! I am looking to do this mod in the future....hope you get it figured out and working ok...

Trending Topics

Old 12-11-2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by shookman34
Dayuum!!! I am looking to do this mod in the future....hope you get it figured out and working ok...
Just curious, how do you like your XCal2, what were the major changes in your vehicle performance, what is your attitude towards it, etc.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:36 PM
OMG...Is that the wiring with the Troyer E-fans? That looks like chit!!!! I had considered purchasing a kit.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:37 PM
looks like some spaghetti under your hood

Old 12-11-2005, 04:43 PM
NO. Thats not how the troyer kit looks. Troyer kit inclused a bunch of black wire looms to cover all wires to make it look sexy.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:00 PM

yeah, Khendrix is right, it's very gutted right now, I must say the kit included everything and then some, very nice of them to throw in a whole kit of splicing, assorted wiring tips (male/female loops, connectors, etc). Everything is great quality, it's just the directions :\ By the way, my engine bay is not that dirty, I'll take better pics later.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
Just curious, how do you like your XCal2, what were the major changes in your vehicle performance, what is your attitude towards it, etc.
I'll say that the XCAL2 was worth the money I spent on it, but am also interested(as I see you also are) in the new Edge programmer. Troyer's 87 octane tune alone is just about worth the money....the 93 tune feels about the same at lower RPMs, but you can feel a bit more grunt at higher RPMs..(I'd say at around 3000) I wish that the XCAL2 was set up so that you could modify the custom tunes a little bit right from the tuner rather than having to send in for a whole new one and not exactly know what you are asking them to change.

What I like in the Edge programmer from what I have seen is the readouts....What hasn't been made clear are the actual performance gains...if they are close, I would consider switching...since I don't think the butt dyno could tell the difference between 5-15 hp. If this Edge programmer turns out to be more Bling than *****.....I'll be more than satisfied to stay with my Troyer tuned XCAL2.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:32 PM
What is so "Troyer" about the e-fan kit ?

Lets take a look at the components: Controllers, fans, etc...

What exactly does troyer actually supply besides these "not so good" instructions i have been reading about... Granted if your motor over heated do you think he would cover a new motor for you ? (i doubt it)

controllers: hayden, torqflo, imperial
fans: derale
wire loom + connectors, etc: any auto parts store

Considering you can pick up this same setup for appx 100 less with better instructions would you have or those that havent would you ?

Old 12-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Yea, I know I am biased, but the kit Mike sells is not really that difficult to install, and as for the instructions, you must have gotten a really badly copied set as most I have seen and used on mine and other installations were not hard to read, or see. Sorry if yours were too light or dark....
The reason it looks so "tangled, sloppy, or whatever" in your pic is because you have not run the wires together yet as you were apparently just trying to get the fans running before doing so, a common practice by many.I know that you will get it figured out and "cleaned up" if you just sit down and reread the entire instructions before attempting to do so.It actually possible to remove some of the excess wiring once you get them hooked up properly.
The thing that most seen to have a problem with, if any, is locating the gray wire I believe it is, that runs the A/C compressor that your green wire connects to.I know it can not be causing your fans not to run, but did you check them for rotation? Also, it is possible that the controllers are set too high and your not getting enough heat at the probe locations to turn the fans on. Just take a step back and look over things before you try to figure it out and you will get it I am sure...

Quick Reply: Troyer E-fan Wiring Help