2004 - 2008 F-150

Ford Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Remote Start

How difficult can it be? I'm looking into a remote starter. Nothing fancy. How difficult would the installation be with an OEM remote start?

Old 12-09-2005, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nu-supercrew
How difficult can it be? I'm looking into a remote starter. Nothing fancy. How difficult would the installation be with an OEM remote start?
I just got a quote of 250 for the remote start only, 299 WITH alarm, and roughly 2 hours of ford-prices labor ($90+/hour).... so 500 installed.

Old 12-09-2005, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by jdpharmd
I just got a quote of 250 for the remote start only, 299 WITH alarm, and roughly 2 hours of ford-prices labor ($90+/hour).... so 500 installed.
I have a hard time paying 250.oo for labor. Gonna try it myself...

Old 12-09-2005, 06:59 AM
Does anyone know for sure if this ( the Ford unit) is a plug and play? or do you have to cut up a lot of wires. I have never been a big fan when it comes to cuting them up. :santa: :santa:

Old 12-09-2005, 07:35 AM
No, the Ford unit is not plug and play, you must tap into a bunch of wires, mainly the harness that runs under the driver's side sill plate. The one thing that may be difficult is that you may have to get the new key fobs programmed for your truck. The remote starter has its own alarm system, so you must use the supplied key fobs and not your old ones or else your factory alarm and theft-deterrent system will be set off when trying to use the remote starter.

I had mine installed at the dealer, but all they did was call up a local stereo installation shop and have a tech come to the dealer and install it. The worst part is that they installed the whole thing using those junky blue clamp-on wire splices that just cut through the insulation but never last too long. I discovered this while I was installing my heated mirrors on my truck (long story, I ORDERED the truck with heated mirrors, dealer screwed up, left them off, then screwed me over when I tried to get them to fix it). I actually fishing around under the dash looking for certain wires and I bumped one of the wires to the remote starter and set off the alarm (alarm was not activated!). I also have problem with the vehicle security light randomly turning on and off while driving the truck, probably due to some of these wires jiggling around when hitting bumps.

Point is, if anyone is having the dealer install the starter, ask some questions as to who exactly will be installing the system. Also, make sure the work is warrantied.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:09 AM
I asked my dealer how much to install the remote starter only and he told me $450 and they send it out to a local stereo place.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:23 AM
DAMN.....Im getting a remote start installed in my Moms new Five Hundred for Christmas. Total installed...$200. Its getting done by the guy who does all the remote starts at the dealership, so its not some guy off the street. Sounds like you guys may need to look elsewhere with those prices.

BREW

Trending Topics

Old 12-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Thats what im doing.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:30 AM
I bought on of the Code Alarm CA-420 and installed it myself, in about an hour.

It's really not that hard to do if you can read and follow directions.

You do need the PATS bypass system, and both keys, in order to program it.

Good Luck.

:santa:

Old 12-09-2005, 03:17 PM

I've heard that if you do electrical work and screw it up, it'll void the remainder of the electrical warranty?

I have a few other dealers around, I'll have to check with them.

Last edited by nu-supercrew; 12-09-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:20 AM
if you have a Ford rmst system installed at a dealer you have full warranty on any defects from the starter for the balance of your factory warranty. if a aftermarket rmst system is installed by a dealer it is then the dealers call on warranty issues. if it is installed by a third party then again it is the dealers call warranty.

so if you have a aftermarket rmst system installed and something electrical fails and the dealer looks under the dash and see a crap install then they will probably no warranty electrical concerns, but it is done right then u should be good.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:11 AM
I am an installer for the Ford Accessory Division. You ONLY have a 3 year warranty on your system if it is installed at the time of purchase. Otherwise if it is done at a later date or even on a used vehicle you have only a 1 year warranty on the unit.

I do however offer pre-wired remote starter units with step-by-step instructions tailored to your vehicle. I know there are alot of due-it-yourself type people out there and my systems are exactly for that type of person. I wouldn't be the installer I am today if I didn't do it myself. My systems are Code Alarm systems similar to the Ford Gold and Silver. travis@kcautosound.com

Old 12-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by KCAutosound
I am an installer for the Ford Accessory Division. You ONLY have a 3 year warranty on your system if it is installed at the time of purchase. Otherwise if it is done at a later date or even on a used vehicle you have only a 1 year warranty on the unit.

I do however offer pre-wired remote starter units with step-by-step instructions tailored to your vehicle. I know there are alot of due-it-yourself type people out there and my systems are exactly for that type of person. I wouldn't be the installer I am today if I didn't do it myself. My systems are Code Alarm systems similar to the Ford Gold and Silver. travis@kcautosound.com
Where in KC are you and what are your prices for the remote start?

Old 12-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Independence, Mo Just seen your location... what's up neighbor...lol I install on-site. If you see a blacked out Excursion with IPACA9 on the license plate runnin around KC....THAT'S ME!!!

Old 12-13-2005, 12:37 AM
KC, Prices?

Quick Reply: Ford Remote Start