2004 - 2008 F-150

Adding keyless entry ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding keyless entry ?

is it possible to add power windows and locks to my 04 XL i also would like to add keyless entry with the keypad on the handle.. is this possible?

Old 12-04-2005, 08:23 PM
anyone?

Old 12-04-2005, 08:30 PM
i believe all have the same wiring harness, so the fittings should be there.....i have a friend who was looking into it and it is on his truck now. i can't imagine different wiring harness's being used depending on whether or not you opt for that option. i am not 100%, so double check me.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by 04F150PA
is it possible to add power windows and locks to my 04 XL i also would like to add keyless entry with the keypad on the handle.. is this possible?
my dealership offered keyless entry for 109? sales price i think

Old 12-04-2005, 09:44 PM
The XL doesn't have the harness for the door keypad. I have the next up model, the STX. No keypad harness, no door lock actuators, no harness for same.

Does your XL have electric door locks? If so adding aftermarket or Powercode (Ford) brand is pretty easy.
If not, a little more work.
Do-able in a long mornings work.

Keyless with lock actuator and alarm will set you back 60-80 bucks for everything.
Just keyless with locks about two thirds that.
Keyless if you already have power locks is about 30 bucks.

Adding power windows is a common thing here, lots of threads on it.
Budget a whole day and about 85-180 depending on brand you want to use.

I have added a working keypad to my door, but it was not for the faint of heart.

There was no harness, there was never a keyless option on my 04 STX.
Well, there was, but it was totally different, no parts interchange with the factory parts.

Do a search on power windows
Do a search on door locks
I bet that will answer most if not all of your questions.
Have fun
Chris

Old 01-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
Keyless with lock actuator and alarm will set you back 60-80 bucks for everything.
Just keyless with locks about two thirds that.
Keyless if you already have power locks is about 30 bucks.

Is this Ford parts or aftermarket?

Old 01-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Riken
Is this Ford parts or aftermarket?
Aftermarket.
I have used both. The ford stuff (powercode) is sorta basic, costs more and not as clean to install or use.
You can get 'used' ford powercode systems rather cheaply on e-bay usually take-outs from police cars etc. when they convert cars for fleet use they some times yank the stock stuff out and sell it.
CodeAlarm, same maker as makes the powercode, is also pretty cheap.

Having used several of the popular brands and lots of factory OEM units, I really don't think you will go wrong with either one. More options, better fobs with aftermarket, feeling of OEM with Powercode, etc.
Chris

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2006, 05:52 PM
these have to be spliced in right?

Old 02-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Riken
these have to be spliced in right?

You will have to attach wires, yes, for any alarm, keyless, etc.

The way recommended by Ford is to use a cheap wire spreader (usually about 5 bucks) that grabs and seperates the wires when you squeeze the handle. This is better for this than wire strippers or a knife.
After you squeeze the wire insulation open, you put a small flat blade screwdriver in the copper wire itself and gently seperate the wires. You poke the stripped end of the wire to the alarm/keyless into the hole, twist it around the other wires and then tape it up. I solder everything but you really don't have to.
There are also quick connectors, very cheap, that put a female socket on the wire. These can be applied in about a second. Then you plug a standard blade connector into them. These are what most (read almost all) shops including every local Ford dealer use. They are very fast, cheap and require no skill. The down side of them is when you plug in the blade connector you have a chance of 'missing' the slot. It will look plugged in, but actually the blade will be beside the slot, not in it.
If you are doing a dozen of these connections and the unit doesn't work, it can be a bear to guess which one you goofed up on. With the strip and twist method, you are sure of each connection.

Adding anything to your harness is always a little nerve wracking, but if you take your time and think at each step it is really quite easy.

Simple rule is if you are drinking beer, or talking with someone, don't touch the wiring.
Chris

Quick Reply: Adding keyless entry ?