2004 - 2008 F-150

Installed AS 2" Leveling kit today..yay!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want to hi-jack the thread but . . .

Kevin,

I already have the Rancho lift. I was thinking about adding the top half portion of the Daystar leveling kit to level out my truck completely and maybe give me a HINT of a 'bulldog' stance. Im thinking since the AS was re-designed this might be my best bet so I don't experience any rubbing on the coils. What kit would be my best bet to go with and what do you think? I know my CV axles are going to be put at more of an angle but it wouldn't be any worse than what they were at when I had just the leveling kit on without the lift. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Thumper,
You could use the top half of the Daystar kit, but you will need to knock out the three studs on the top of your strut plate and run longer bolts. But you probably already knew that You won't however as you stated get the offset to clear the UCA to coil. I think the top(don't quote me) half of the Daystar kit is only 1-1/2" thick. You may not get the coil/control arm rub issue with that thin a spacer. WHO KNOWS As I found out recently not all factory strut shafts are equal in length and the internal rubber dampers are not all the same thickness. I,am sure this probably goes for aftermarket and lift strut assemblies as well (Billstein, Rancho, etc,) . Consequently the amount of additional droop (off-load) you get with the Daystar spacer installed MAY NOT be enough to let the UCA touch the coil. I would just install it on one side first, put the tire back on and lift the truck by the frame to get full off-load and check for a coil to UCA touch. Be sure and pull down on the tire or pry the suspension down to get the strut shaft to top out. How are your CV Joint angles right now with the lift kit installed ?? Are they at the same angle as they were stock? If you find you need an offset we also fabricate a 1-1/2" thick spacer. I guess since you've already got the Daystar spacer try it first. It will at least give you an idea how things will work out and look and will certainly save you some cash Let us all know how it works out.

Kevin
Auto Spring Corp
Boise, Idaho

Old 12-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Kspencer,
We have found over the past two years of fabricating and installing kits ,that our 2" kit (1-5/8" thick spacer) gives between 2"-2-1/2" lift and the 2-1/2" kit(1-3/4" thick spacer) gives 2-1/2"-3-1/4" total lift measured from the ground up to the center of the front wheel well. Did you install aftermarket strut assemblys(Billsteins ,etc) when you installed the spacer? The stiffer aftermarket strut(shock) can give a slight lift to the front suspension as well. I,ve had customers call and say they got 1/2" -1" lift by just changing struts. I also had a customer call me and bitch me out cause his truck raised up 5 inches after he put our 2-1/2" leveling kit on. Turns out he changed his struts over to Bilsteins at the same time and flipped the lower coil seat on the strut over which reeeeally compressed the coil. He said it was a real pain to get the strut assembly back together. Ill bet. If you like the height, I agree with other members and go with an Airbag kit on the rear. Nice for towing as well as lifting the rear. Plus, just one more cool gadget for the cab if you get a compressor and guage setup with it.
Hope this helps answer your questions Kspencer.

Kevin
Auto Spring Corp
Beautiful Boise, Idaho

Old 12-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by tx-import
Kevin,

Looking at the kits now. Did you do the same thing for the 2 1/2' kit as well. I am assuming by looking that the 2" levels the front but leaves a minor rake so when loaded it will sit level where as the 2 1/2" kit is exactly level unloaded but will sit a little nose high when you have a load in the bed or hitch.

Would someone clarify or disbute my thinking.

I appreciate all of the information here as well. You guys have provided a lot of inspiration for my first FORD. I use to be a Toyota guy....
That's exactly what I found to be true. I installed the 2.5" Autospring which set the difference between the front and rear bumper heights is within .25" I selected the 2.5" AS because I am planning to put 1" blocks in the rear for that 4wd look on my 2wd truck and tuck 33's or 35's in there when my factory tires need replacing.

Hope this helps,
Ox

Old 12-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by AutoSpring
Thumper,
You could use the top half of the Daystar kit, but you will need to knock out the three studs on the top of your strut plate and run longer bolts. But you probably already knew that You won't however as you stated get the offset to clear the UCA to coil. I think the top(don't quote me) half of the Daystar kit is only 1-1/2" thick. You may not get the coil/control arm rub issue with that thin a spacer. WHO KNOWS As I found out recently not all factory strut shafts are equal in length and the internal rubber dampers are not all the same thickness. I,am sure this probably goes for aftermarket and lift strut assemblies as well (Billstein, Rancho, etc,) . Consequently the amount of additional droop (off-load) you get with the Daystar spacer installed MAY NOT be enough to let the UCA touch the coil. I would just install it on one side first, put the tire back on and lift the truck by the frame to get full off-load and check for a coil to UCA touch. Be sure and pull down on the tire or pry the suspension down to get the strut shaft to top out. How are your CV Joint angles right now with the lift kit installed ?? Are they at the same angle as they were stock? If you find you need an offset we also fabricate a 1-1/2" thick spacer. I guess since you've already got the Daystar spacer try it first. It will at least give you an idea how things will work out and look and will certainly save you some cash Let us all know how it works out.

Kevin
Auto Spring Corp
Boise, Idaho
Kevin,

Thanks again for the quick reply. I however don't have the Daystar kit anymore. Long story short, 4WP thought it was part of the stock parts and trashed them, at least thats what they told me. Anyways, my CV joint angles right now are PERFECT so I really don't see a problem with adding this small of a leveling kit. Im really interested in buying the 1-1/2" AS, but I will send you an email about all that. How much actual lift will it give me? Im going to have to go take some measurements and see how much lift Im really going to need.

Thanks a ton!

Old 12-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by AutoSpring
Kspencer,
We have found over the past two years of fabricating and installing kits ,that our 2" kit (1-5/8" thick spacer) gives between 2"-2-1/2" lift and the 2-1/2" kit(1-3/4" thick spacer) gives 2-1/2"-3-1/4" total lift measured from the ground up to the center of the front wheel well. Did you install aftermarket strut assemblys(Billsteins ,etc) when you installed the spacer? The stiffer aftermarket strut(shock) can give a slight lift to the front suspension as well. I,ve had customers call and say they got 1/2" -1" lift by just changing struts. I also had a customer call me and bitch me out cause his truck raised up 5 inches after he put our 2-1/2" leveling kit on. Turns out he changed his struts over to Bilsteins at the same time and flipped the lower coil seat on the strut over which reeeeally compressed the coil. He said it was a real pain to get the strut assembly back together. Ill bet. If you like the height, I agree with other members and go with an Airbag kit on the rear. Nice for towing as well as lifting the rear. Plus, just one more cool gadget for the cab if you get a compressor and guage setup with it.
Hope this helps answer your questions Kspencer.

Kevin
Auto Spring Corp
Beautiful Boise, Idaho
Kevin,
Everything, except the spacer, is stock equipment for the FX4. I don't remember having to do anything to the strut assembly except remove it. Yeah, I did not flip the coil seat over at all. Funny how it turned out, and it was actually a 3-1/8" gain in height. I just assumed that my springs were just stiffer than others.

Quick Reply: Installed AS 2" Leveling kit today..yay!