2004 - 2008 F-150

cam phaser pics (you asked for it)LOL

Old 12-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cam phaser pics (you asked for it)LOL

here are a few pics from monday morning when they were getting ready to finish up the job. got there right before the mechanic and took some pics. when he came in i asked him about the problem. he said he also was able to ground a celinoid (sp) and see if the noise went away. he felt confident that was caused by the cam phasers then. 50 miles and all is quiet!
here are some pics, enjoy![IMG]

more to come, sorry....messed up loading others.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:19 PM
notice how beefy the cam chain seems to be in the above pic....anyway here are more.

the backside of the cam phaser gear

the frontside of the cam phaser gear. seems to have some sort of spring as part of it. these are the old ones. new ones are in truck at this point.

not sure exactly how it works, multiple timing of somekind i believe. hope this helps others..... see ya

Old 12-06-2005, 05:20 PM
last pic,

Old 12-06-2005, 05:24 PM
What kind of noise was it making???

Old 12-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by jims94vmx
celinoid (sp)
That's probably a "solenoid"

1. A current-carrying coil of wire that acts like a magnet when a current passes through it.
2. An assembly used as a switch, consisting of a coil and a metal core free to slide along the coil axis under the influence of the magnetic field.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:37 PM
a real soft knocking at idle. keep hood down and go to the passenger side of truck, if you hear anything like a knock (almost like a low oil sound), then probably a cam phaser. the ticking at the top of the engine you hear when hood is open is normal. it drove me nuts when i would pull up near any building, it would become more noticable. had it idling when service manager and another guy started walking towards truck.....they heard it right away. mine wasn't loud, just annoying. now i only hear the fan moving when i go over to the passenger side of the truck and put my ear towards the fender! help???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cam phaser pics (you asked for it)LOL