2004 - 2008 F-150

Viper 791XV Installed and there are MAJOR PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper 791XV Installed and there are MAJOR PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

So I just got back from Mach 1, the company that installed my Viper 791XV remote start/alarm. Unfortunately they are closed now so I can't talk to them at the moment about the issues I'm having.

Can you provide tips or hints as to why these things are happening and how they can be fixed?

I'm just flat out upset about this right now, it was $287 for the install.

Problems:
System gives a door broken into warning every time I unlock it.

Pushing keypad button brings dome light on and sets off the alarm.

Unlocking truck at night doesn’t bring the headlights on like it should.

Turning off truck – radio and ability to raise/lower windows before opening a door doesn’t work anymore.

Primary door unlock doesn’t work (unlock once for the driver’s door and twice for the other doors) – worked on my 99 and is a standard feature of the system, should be part of basic install and they want $100 extra.

Charged for $29.99 for adding heated seats and never did it.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Take it back tomorrow.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by -TXF150-
Take it back tomorrow.
I can't because I have work all day. But I can get Tuesday morning off and take it in then. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow morning though.

I just want to see if anyone else had these problems with there systems. Was yours installed with the primary door unlock or was it extra? Did you have the keypad problems. Did you retain the ability to use the radio and window controls after turning off the truck before opening a door?

Old 11-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Duke... I had the Viper 560XV (step below yours) in my F150.

Yes the power would stay on (windows and radio)....could just be a programming thing that got shut off. Check your F150 manual.

I think both doors unlocked at the same time..but I forget now.

The keypad, on mine, would set the alarm off... they said it could not be done, but I have read on hear that it can.... more $$ (try a search,).
Sorry I forget now, but I'm pretty sure just touching the keypad would NOT set off the alarm, or it would have been going off all the time from just knocking against it.

I don't think unlocking the truck ever brought on the headlights...??? Unless that was a F150 programmed function I never had turned on.

Quote: "Problems:
System gives a door broken into warning every time I unlock it."

You mean when you hit the Viper remote...?
Then that's pretty useless!

Old 11-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by klassic
Duke... I had the Viper 560XV (step below yours) in my F150.

Yes the power would stay on (windows and radio)....could just be a programming thing that got shut off. Check your F150 manual.

I think both doors unlocked at the same time..but I forget now.

The keypad, on mine, would set the alarm off... they said it could not be done, but I have read on hear that it can.... more $$ (try a search,).
Sorry I forget now, but I'm pretty sure just touching the keypad would NOT set off the alarm, or it would have been going off all the time from just knocking against it.

I don't think unlocking the truck ever brought on the headlights...??? Unless that was a F150 programmed function I never had turned on.

Quote: "Problems:
System gives a door broken into warning every time I unlock it."

You mean when you hit the Viper remote...?
Then that's pretty useless!

Yeah everytime I unlock the truck it send a page to the pager saying the car was broken into. It gives the hammer and a door open sensor.

I'm really upset about it, because it's a pain in the **** to go down there and have it all fixed.

I can deal with having the keypad set off the alarm if it's used to unlock it, but not all the other stuff. Those are features I use and need.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you get the first hint that these guys are incapable of fixing it correctly, or if your gut tells you that they are in over their heads, don't be afraid to yank your truck outta there and take it to a better qualified installer. Sounds like they used your truck to train some newbie kid. If I'm wrong, then they are simply idiots and not qualified to touch your truck.

Cutting your losses and paying a qualified person to fix it right can be cheaper than allowing an unqualified person continue to connect and disconnect wires under your dash.

Of course I could be all wet and it might just be a faulty unit ( )

Old 11-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Dude, when I had the Viper 790 installed in my truck several years ago, it was a NIGHTMARE. I had a ****-ton of problems and it took them having the truck 5 times before it was done to my satisfaction, then 2 years later it took a complete dump on me and just stopped working. SONOFABITCH! So I had it upgraded to the 791... but they pissed me off.
best bet, go straight to the manager, let him know your displeasure and how much it took to get it to work.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Just got back from FedEx (was shipping out my old Lariat Grill that I sold on ebay) and I have another complaint to add to my list:

Turning truck completely off with key in ignition and door shut gives the “key’s in ignition and door open chime” constantly

Old 11-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Just got back from FedEx (was shipping out my old Lariat Grill that I sold on ebay) and I have another complaint to add to my list:

Turning truck completely off with key in ignition and door shut gives the “key’s in ignition and door open chime” constantly
Wow dude!

Don't let them touch it anymore... The guys who installed mine have to take a course and have certificates.
The job they did was very neat too.
Sounds like too much probing with a test light.

Express your displeasure.. ask for a refund and don't let them touch it any more.

Too bad

Old 11-10-2005, 09:48 PM
How is that a complaint if the system is working like it should, do you even need an alarm/remote start, or you just thought to have one was cool ?

Old 11-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by asinatra
How is that a complaint if the system is working like it should, do you even need an alarm/remote start, or you just thought to have one was cool ?
Yeah I completely forgot that it does do that in stock form. If you look at the other stuff though it shouldn't be doing that.

I live in Minnesota and it gets down to -30 to sometimes -40 (even lower with wind chill). Half the time the truck will have to be outside when I'm out at a clients office doing auditing. So I want to be able to start it and let it warm up without having to walk out there to do it. So to answer your question I did not buy it because it was "cool". I bought it because it was practical for where I live and the weather conditions I encounter 7 months out of a given year.

Any tips on why I might be having these problems would be greatly appreciated (and no I don't need to hear the smart **** comment that morons installed it). They were a reputable car audio/security shop that is registered to sell and install Viper products as well as many others. Any ideas on how to get the primary door unlock to work without paying them the extra $100 they are requesting?

Thanks though....

Duke

Old 11-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I apologize if you thought I was being a smartazz. If you think they are qualified then they are the ones to answer your questions. Maybe your installer can explain why he FUBARed your truck.

Good luck with it, I'm outta here.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:49 PM
I just had the 791XV installed last Friday and think it works great. You cant have your keypad disarm the alarm with the viper..

Old 11-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by RockyJSquirrel
I apologize if you thought I was being a smartazz. If you think they are qualified then they are the ones to answer your questions. Maybe your installer can explain why he FUBARed your truck.

Good luck with it, I'm outta here.
No I didn't think you were being a smart ***. I did take Asintra's comment as being a smart ***. But of course we all come to expect that from him .

I can live without having the keypad disarm the alarm, but there shouldn't be an extra charge to have the primary door unlock thing. Thoughts?

Duke

Old 11-10-2005, 11:01 PM
So I just got back from Mach 1, the company that installed my Viper 791XV remote start/alarm. Unfortunately they are closed now so I can't talk to them at the moment about the issues I'm having.

Can you provide tips or hints as to why these things are happening and how they can be fixed?

I'm just flat out upset about this right now, it was $287 for the install.

Problems:
System gives a door broken into warning every time I unlock it.

Pushing keypad button brings dome light on and sets off the alarm.

Unlocking truck at night doesn’t bring the headlights on like it should.

Turning off truck – radio and ability to raise/lower windows before opening a door doesn’t work anymore.

Primary door unlock doesn’t work (unlock once for the driver’s door and twice for the other doors) – worked on my 99 and is a standard feature of the system, should be part of basic install and they want $100 extra.

Charged for $29.99 for adding heated seats and never did it.
Here is my 2cents because i have the same alarm w/remote start.
1. The broken into warning is a problem. Bring it back
2. The keypad will set off the alarm once you enter your code.
3. My headlights only flash when i disarm the alarm at night. and yes my switch is set correctly. However if i remote start the truck the headlights come on and stay on.
4. After i turn off the truck i can use the power windows and the radio stays on (until i open the door)

Quick Reply: Viper 791XV Installed and there are MAJOR PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP ME!!!!