2004 - 2008 F-150

WHATs up with this??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHATs up with this??

I m still having rough idle promblems the shop forman at the dealership says all normal.but he decides to tweek the timing a little much better idle and power and mpgs.but it only lasted two days ,before the rough idle came back took back to dealership. forman says no idea what to do.He calls a ford engineer they say to nutraize the engine.What ever that means?Why if its all normal would the engineer say to do this?05 crew with 1500 miles now.been in shop total of 21 days.

TO DATE: the truck has had a new transmission,rear-end,differant set of tires,ailment,damperner kit put on and contue having rough idle,no power and bad fuel milage,,,WHAT THE _ELL IS GOING ON

Old 11-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no clue what they're talking about neutralizing an engine. Are the rpms jumping around or is the engine simply vibrating abnormally. Have they done a cylinder balance test to ensure proper fire and compression in all the cylinders? Are motor mounts an issue? I know mine vibrates slightly at idle, I can see it in the passenger seat back and feel it in my seat/brake pedal. I took it in and they said they could duplicate the problem. Ive just learned to live with it because it really seems intermitent. Who knows.

Good luck getting it fixed, and I hope theyve given you a helluva rental for 21 days lol.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:06 PM
I just had the re-flash done on my 05 and it cleared up the idle vibe completely.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Neutralizing the engine or drivetrain or exhaust is trying to shift the whole assembly to a "neutral" position to minimize transfer of vibrations, the theory being that somewhere, somehow, the powertrain has gotten itself into a bind and is "out of tune," so to speak. The latest and greatest F150 frame is the strongest and most rigid it's ever been, and in that regard unfortunately, it also acts as a bigass tuning fork, transmitting vibrations that would be ambient or unfelt in a lesser frame design.

Usually, neutralizing involves loosening the motor mounts, loosening the exhaust at the manifolds and the Y-pipe to the muffler, and loosening the trans mount, torquing the engine in gear in drive and reverse and re-torquing all that stuff that was loosened in a specific order to a specific torque value. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I know it helped out a bit on pre '03 Navigators and Expeditions with body boom/resonance at highway speeds.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by shoeynne
I m still having rough idle promblems the shop forman at the dealership says all normal.05 crew with 1500 miles now.been in shop total of 21 days.

TO DATE: the truck has had a new transmission,rear-end,differant set of tires,ailment,damperner kit put on and contue having rough idle,no power and bad fuel milage,,,WHAT THE _ELL IS GOING ON
Does anyone else wonder??????????????

Old 11-06-2005, 10:05 AM

I didn't pay attention to the 21 days part, but I know in Georgia, if it spends over 30 days down for service it falls under lemon law legislation.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Well,i talked to the shop forman again today.Looks like i will be meeting with a engineer either on tues.or wed.to see what s going on with truck(rough idle,bad fuel milage and no power).When i picked the truck up on friday i noticed that there were scratches all over the bed of truck.I showed the service manger he agreed that it was done there.They will fix that part.BTW does your truck have to be out of service for a straight amount of days or a total # of days for a lemon.Thanks

Old 11-07-2005, 07:49 PM

In Georgia, I think it has to be 30 days straight, not like ten days here, five days there, etc. But also, if you're seen more than three times in a period of less than...um, I forget...it falls under the lemon law for GA.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Sounds like you got one of those monday morning trucks lol.

As far as the lemon law, I believe if its in more than 3 times for the same problem and still not fixed, the dealership must be notified and given one last chance to fix the problem. After that, there is a procedure to follow to claim a lemon. The issue has to be a serious mechanical problem such as drivetrain/brakes etc. Good luck.

Ronnie

Old 11-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Silverbullet5.4,Thanks for the info.You are right the truck was built on a monday.The dealer is trying to get me ford assistance(what ever that means?).Also they are trying to figure if the amount of days its been in the shop will help with getting out of the truck into another one.We are tring to work thing out with the service dept.and the dealership I been with this dealership for 16 yrs.buying cars and trucks hopefully they can figure something out

Old 11-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Man, with everything you have gone through, I would insist on a new truck. Also maybe you can fully inspect and test drive your next truck for a couple of days to ensure you are getting a good vehicle. For the price of these, they better make you happy. Best of luck.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:14 AM
I do have a meeting with the service director and the general manager of the dealership when i take truck back down to them.So we ll see what happens this afternoon.The general manger has been telling me i can get another truck but it will cost me about 4,000 dollars and thats not going to work,and they only offer to buy mine at 19,000,sticker on my xlt crew is 34,750 and that not going to work either.So i guess we ll see what ele they can come up with today.