2004 - 2008 F-150

The Ugly Little Caps

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ugly Little Caps

To the people with aftermarket power windows...What did you do to cover the holes where the cranks were? Ive got those ugly black caps on there now .I thought about some tweeters but they would look just like the caps.Ive also considered trying to cover some thin wood with leather and affix it to the panel to cover it.....Basically I have no real clue what to do

Old 11-03-2005, 07:12 PM
You can paint the disks to match the door panel. Dealer sells the paint.

I also used dark gray buttons for awhile.

I finally used tweeters, and if you don't put the swivel collars on them they look pretty sharp.
Just mount the tweeter speaker flush against the hole in the door.

Silver or black looks good on the door.

The tweeters do add to the sound quality, so I will stick to that for now.
Chris

Old 11-05-2005, 05:39 PM
ANY OTHER IDEAS ?????? Im really frustrated with the look

Old 11-05-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm looking at the power window install next too. I have thought about it as well... What about just leaving the handles on?

Old 11-05-2005, 09:02 PM
depends on the kit. The hidden kits will work that way, with some mods. Then everyone who rides in your truck will complain that it takes too much force to turn the handle. They may even snap one off.
Most kits will not work with the handle on, though. They secure with a bolt through the end piece where the handle bolts on.

Assume you have the dove gray you could cut a circle from a leftover interior part, cut it to match exactly, and then glue it in the hole. It would work, and the only thing showing would be the circle of the cut. That you could hide/cover with one of the dash repair kits, matching the color. Still, you would have a 'platform' that the hole is in, the raised area where the crank is.

Of course the most invisible way is to replace the door panel. Gets a little pricey as you would need to get the window switches and rest of the setup.
About 200 bucks worth of things, plus the two panels. Say 600 bucks.
I have a 182 dollar passenger side panel I can let you have for half that, get you started. Then you only have to get the other panel and the switch pods... And speaker grills, they are different from the XL STX grills...

Lots of ways, some cheaper than others...
Chris

Old 11-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Oh, yeah couple other options, you can get stickers to cover the hole, superchips, stp, Ford racing, etc. Looks pretty tacky, but...
Or you can glue a silver dollar over each hole, go for that Texas Longhorn look...
Or you can get Ford emblems, and put them on. Never saw any that would just exactly fit, but I didn't look that hard.

I do know that some places will do custom emblems so that would work, be a little expensive but...
Chris

Old 11-06-2005, 02:34 PM
How about a 7/16ths bolt with a couple of fender washers?

Old 11-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Steamin
How about a 7/16ths bolt with a couple of fender washers?
Yup, or a freeze plug? Brass or silver or black rubber...
Chris

Old 11-06-2005, 04:24 PM
<<< Glad I have the Xlt model with chrome wheels.

Old 11-06-2005, 06:30 PM
You could do what I did. Trade in your STX for a Lariat. That way, you have everything. Seriously, when I had my '05 STX and I looked into the power window/lock thing, to me the only proper way to do it was with factory parts, and that would have been $1,000+ per door. So, I just traded her in, and got me a nice Lariat. Think I'm joking? I'm not...

From this:

To This:

Old 11-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Or maybe he should stop worrying about the little disks...

Still, the tweeters do help the sound so I'm pretty happy.

On the Lariat, you probably lost more money in one year than I have in my truck total so it's not a fair comparison.
My wife's car cost a heck of a lot more than a Lariat, but I don't have as much fun playing with it...
Chris

Old 11-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Probably too late, but many of the power window conversions for street rods have have switches that allow the use of a stock handle to run the power windows. Now about the hole where the new switches are.......

Old 11-08-2005, 08:13 PM
If I had a Lariat what would I have to upgrade???? To me the fun is in the chalenge of making it better.Honestly I couldnt afford a Lariat and someone just happened to trade in an STX where I work.I traded a loaded dodge for a base model ford and have had more fun modding the ford than I ever had with my loaded dodge.So, no I wont be trading for a lariat.I will just keep trying to come up with ideas for those caps in my door.
Trade in your STX for a Lariat. That way, you have everything. Seriously, when I had my '05 STX and I looked into the power window/lock thing, to me the only proper way to do it was with factory parts, and that would have been $1,000+ per door. So, I just traded her in, and got me a nice Lariat. Think I'm joking? I'm not...

Old 11-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Here, Here! Modding is more fun than buying.

How about locating two round, dome shaped under dash lights. I have seen small ones with shields that cover half the dome light. Mount them there, with the glare shield up. Hook them to the dome light, get some puddle lights. That would work.
Chris

Quick Reply: The Ugly Little Caps