2004 - 2008 F-150

Oil Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Gauge

This Is my first ford truck and I love this truck.
I have a crazy question, Maybe someone can answer or tell me to do somthing better withmy time.
The oil gauge on my truck does not move at all. It goes to a little above the half way mark when started and stays there no matter how hard I hit the gas or stop or anything. This gauge just does not move.
I thought this was an oil pressure gauge, which should rise a little when you take off from a stop.
I have own several cars and trucks and the ones with an oil gauge move at different points depending on engine speed.
Just wondering If anyone else has noticed.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The oil pressure gauge on all Ford's now is really just an idiot light with a needle. It's designed to jump to the same place on the guage every time when it reads a pressure of about 8-10 pounds or above...pretty useless really.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The oil pressure sender in these 04-06 F150 is a true/false sender. It does not measure the pressure, it just senses pressure or the lack of it.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The really fun part is that by the time the light comes on and the gauge bottoms out, the damage may already be done.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Quintin
The really fun part is that by the time the light comes on and the gauge bottoms out, the damage may already be done.
This is SO TRUE! Quick story here. Last year I believe it was, went to SEMA. Drove my Roush Mustang down there. On the way back, just north of Sacramento, cruising along at 75 at around 9:30 PM or so...and something catches my vision out the corner of my eye. My newly installed mechanical oil pressure gauge just swept all the way down to zero, I tapped it once and started pulling over immediately and shutting off the car. By that time, car was smoking from the oil dumping. My spin-on remote oil filter piece came lose, blew the ring out from the piece, and dumped 6 QTS of oil in a matter of a few seconds ALL OVER MY CAR and directly into the driver side front wheel. Point of the story, my mod caused the problem, however, another one of my mods saved my car. By the time I was pulled over and shutting the car off, I still had ZERO OIL PRESSURE according to my mechanical gauge, and the stock gauge cluster read just fine. I have ZERO faith in the stock oil pressure gauge after my first hand experience...needless to say, absolutely nothing happened to the engine due to the real gauge and quick reactions. I pissed off some people though because I oiled the s#$t out of their car and the highway, not to mention my own.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by DevilSun
This is SO TRUE! Quick story here. Last year I believe it was, went to SEMA. Drove my Roush Mustang down there. On the way back, just north of Sacramento, cruising along at 75 at around 9:30 PM or so...and something catches my vision out the corner of my eye. My newly installed mechanical oil pressure gauge just swept all the way down to zero, I tapped it once and started pulling over immediately and shutting off the car. By that time, car was smoking from the oil dumping. My spin-on remote oil filter piece came lose, blew the ring out from the piece, and dumped 6 QTS of oil in a matter of a few seconds ALL OVER MY CAR and directly into the driver side front wheel. Point of the story, my mod caused the problem, however, another one of my mods saved my car. By the time I was pulled over and shutting the car off, I still had ZERO OIL PRESSURE according to my mechanical gauge, and the stock gauge cluster read just fine. I have ZERO faith in the stock oil pressure gauge after my first hand experience...needless to say, absolutely nothing happened to the engine due to the real gauge and quick reactions. I pissed off some people though because I oiled the s#$t out of their car and the highway, not to mention my own.
You lubed the highway for the next **** behind you

Old 10-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by SAJEFFC
The oil pressure gauge on all Ford's now is really just an idiot light with a needle. It's designed to jump to the same place on the guage every time when it reads a pressure of about 8-10 pounds or above...pretty useless really.
I learn something in this place everyday! I had been concerned because my pressure guage registered a little lower than I thought it should. I had no idea. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I suppose you could say that...

Old 10-28-2005, 12:01 PM
^^^ Bet those front brakes didn't work well after that.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Brings a new dimension to lubrication of the calipers.

Last edited by Bluejay; 10-28-2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Haha, no, they sure didn't, not for a while. But, by the time I got home (still had a few hours to drive), I had used them enough that the oil was pretty much gone and the car was stopping staight, where previously it only stopped on one side. Hehe, good thing they were 4 piston 14"ers.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Well thats cool but I would take that pic down. If Rockpick see's it you will get the clay bar speech from hell!! (j/k rockster)

Old 10-28-2005, 12:14 PM
The car was so warm from the weather by the time I got it home, there wasn't much oil left on the side...and nothing a pressure washer couldn't clean off, including most of the undercarraige...would you believe a day or two later it didn't even look like anything happened, minus all the dripping oil I had to hand clean up in my garage

Old 10-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by DevilSun
The car was so warm from the weather by the time I got it home, there wasn't much oil left on the side...and nothing a pressure washer couldn't clean off, including most of the undercarraige...would you believe a day or two later it didn't even look like anything happened, minus all the dripping oil I had to hand clean up in my garage
Must have been 5-20 Motorcraft.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
Must have been 5-20 Motorcraft.
wonder how ofter he changed it? I think he should have tried synthetic and this wouldn't have happened. HIJACKED!!

Quick Reply: Oil Gauge