2004 - 2008 F-150

Finally took my truck to the dealer today...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally took my truck to the dealer today...

Well, after driving my truck for 17 months, I finally took her back in to the dealer for the first time this morning. There were a few things that I was wanting done, and they probably hate me right now. Here's the list of things that I told them about:

1. slight vibration at around 50 MPH and pulsating vibration above 80
2. both rear doors have really bad ripples in them
3. rear slider sticks open sometimes
4. front windows get greasy lines when rolled down/up
5. poor throttle response
6. tranny "hunts" for gears at around 45 MPH
7. driveline "thunks" when downshifting or when going off/on throttle
8. rattle in driver door
9. clicking in both heads...(could just be injectors)
10. poor fuel mileage (11-12 MPG since new)

I know that some of these things will not be fixed...I figured I would get them on record with the dealer. With only 12,000 miles, I will get to 3 years sooner than I will get to 36,000 miles. They gave me a 2005 F150 STX to drive while they have the truck. Even with the 4.6L engine, it has way more pep than my truck. Hopefully the reflash will fix some of the problems. They drove the truck and called to ask me if I wanted to pay for an alignment. They said the tires (I put the stock wheels and tires back on) showed a little wear along the outside edge. I explained that I had just had it aligned a month ago. It is encouraging that they did feel the vibration, but I don't think balancing the tires is going to help, since I know it vibrates with two different sets of wheels and tires. Also, the tech rep said that there is an issue with sound deadening material on the insides of the SCAB rear doors. The material draws up and causes ripples in the rear doors of the SCAB. I was glad to hear that I was not the first to have this issue. I don't know when I will get the truck back, but will post back up once I do.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:53 PM
my 05 screw has the same promblem,mine in the shop for vibration at 50-55 mph.ford called today said they are replacing the transmission in it,they are still looking into the rough idle and poor fuel milage.my truck has 1,200 miles on it now and its already had the rear-end replaced and now the transmission getting replaced

Old 10-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck getting it fixed. I took mine in for the same things...

Vibration at idle->dealer said they couldnt duplicate problem
Driver side door rattle->dealer said this was normal
Engine ticking from head->dealer said this was normal
Lack of throttle response->dealer said could not duplicate problem and truck was very heavy

Scab wavy doors->I talked to dealer and I dont even trust them to do a proper job

Like I said...Good luck. Your dealer may be better than mine.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Good luck with the dealer trip, one question for ya though.
You say your tranny is " hunting " at around 45 ? Is that with od on ? If so
take it off and try that...

Old 10-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by jztbcz
Good luck with the dealer trip, one question for ya though.
You say your tranny is " hunting " at around 45 ? Is that with od on ? If so
take it off and try that...
Yeah, I tried turning off the OD button once. It "hunts" a lot less with it off, but it also runs higher RPM. Since I only average 11 to 12 MPG, I hate the thought of making it get worse mileage.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Sounds like it hunts because the OD is on and 45mph is a bad spot because that seems to be around the speed that 3-4 shift occurs. Of course it differs depending on wheel/tire size and gear ratio. I would def leave OD off if you are in the city because it just prematurely wears out the OD band. OD is the weakest point in an OD trans. When OD is off you are running higher rpms of course because you are in 3rd, not OD. I would experiment with your driving style(ie less gas upon accel.) to see if that lowers your fuel consumption. But it may just be that you need a reflash, especially if you are low on power and also reseting the KAM helps a great deal.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:16 PM
And i thought i had the only truck that had problem #4.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:28 PM
They will try and blame #s 1,5,6,7,and 10 on your non-stock tires.

Good luck with the repairs, I'm glad I have the best dealer for service.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by shoeynne
my 05 screw has the same promblem,mine in the shop for vibration at 50-55 mph.ford called today said they are replacing the transmission in it,they are still looking into the rough idle and poor fuel milage.my truck has 1,200 miles on it now and its already had the rear-end replaced and now the transmission getting replaced
I would tell them to get the Ford zone office MANAGER not the rep. to call you and then demand a 75,000 mile 50.00 ded. Premium care ext. warranty OR you will lemon law that thing so fast you'll get a speeding ticket.

Last edited by 2001SUPERCREW; 10-26-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by 2001SUPERCREW

My engine must think I have larger tires too because my throttle response sucks also.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by 2001SUPERCREW

The non-stock wheels and tires were just put on a month ago. These problems started very early on. The stock wheels and tires are on the truck right now for the trip to the dealership...so they can't do that!

Old 10-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
Scab wavy doors->I talked to dealer and I dont even trust them to do a proper job
So, are the wavy doors on the SCAB a common problem? What will they have to do to fix them?

Old 10-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Well, I got my truck back today...here's what they did (and didn't do)!

1. slight vibration at around 50 MPH and pulsating vibration above 80 - fixed by road force balancing
2. both rear doors have really bad ripples in them - said that this was normal
3. rear slider sticks open sometimes - adjusted track
4. front windows get greasy lines when rolled down/up - adjusted regulators
5. poor throttle response - "normal for electric throttle"
6. tranny "hunts" for gears at around 45 MPH - could not duplicate
7. driveline "thunks" when downshifting or when going off/on throttle - could not duplicate
8. rattle in driver door - fixed, and also fixed rattle in dash
9. clicking in both heads...(could just be injectors) - normal sound
10. poor fuel mileage (11-12 MPG since new) - nothing

I'm very happy that the vibe is completely gone and that it was only the tires. I'm kinda' bummed out because they didn't flash my PCM. The code on my PCM is EAY4 and the truck was built in June 2004...maybe there isn't a newer flash?

Old 10-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I think there are at least 2 newer flashes. Mine was built in 11/04 and the 04-24-14( I think that is correct) reflash really helped my truck a lot. I understand that Ford has been reluctant as of late to reflash under warranty. You might consider asking what they will charge you for the lastest reflash if you pay for it. I have heard it is about $60. The change in my truck would have been weel worth that. Another option is if you are considering the Xcal2, that will fix it as well.

Old 10-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
I think there are at least 2 newer flashes. Mine was built in 11/04 and the 04-24-14( I think that is correct) reflash really helped my truck a lot. I understand that Ford has been reluctant as of late to reflash under warranty. You might consider asking what they will charge you for the lastest reflash if you pay for it. I have heard it is about $60. The change in my truck would have been weel worth that. Another option is if you are considering the Xcal2, that will fix it as well.
Thanks. It's just sad that the crappy $15,000 F150 STX loaner truck with 17,000 miles on it and the 4.6L engine ran better than my $40,000 FX4 with 12,000 miles on it. I will be sure to complain on the survey that Ford sends me. Charging $60 to fix issues that should have been fixed in the first place is BS...sounds like Ford has taken a page out of the Microsoft book of tricks!

Quick Reply: Finally took my truck to the dealer today...