2004 - 2008 F-150

1/4 mile times please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you’re worrying about voiding the warranty why bother tuning it in the first place, leave it stock

Old 10-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
If you’re worrying about voiding the warranty why bother tuning it in the first place, leave it stock
No worries, just trying to get the "300Hp" I paid for to get this slug down the road. I just would like to find a way to allow the HP to come sooner, I wish they made a kit to bypass this demonic drive by wire. I figured a catback and filter would help some without going messing with the tune, throwing on a blower/n2o, or going internal engine. Its a shame they can get away with advertising 300hp when we never even see the rpms the engine produces the power at.

But seriously, Id like to remove the speed limiter and allow the throttle to come on when I press the gas. Thats all I ask for.

Old 10-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you need a tuner then!

I'm getting rid of my Superchips 1714 in November... trading up for somthing different.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
Ive talked to several dealers and they all agreed that if I have an engine issue with a performance tune, they will void my warranty. They said that the computer directly affects how the engine runs(ie lean, rich, too much timing, etc). So they could link the computer to the engine issue such as say a piston/cylinder issue. Now as far as exhaust/intake, they couldnt link an engine failure to the muffler/tailpipes. Its all about whether or not they could link the damage to the aftermarket part. For example, if you install an audio amplifier providing more power to the speakers, and then blow the factory speakers, they would not be covered under warranty. The problem is, you could in this case remove the amplifier and they would never know. However, with the computer, they can bring up the log and tell if you have had a tune installed. This is coming from the horse's mouth, and my Tech is a pretty cool guy.
Can you tell me how the dealer can tell if you had a tuner installed? I'm a Ford tech and have been for 17 years and 90% of the work I do is computer related. If you put the stock tune back in the worse they will see is a code P1000 that is the code the computer gives if the codes are cleared or PCM is reprogramed. this WILL NOT void any warranty. If you they ask were the P1000 came from you tell them you disconneted the batt. to see if it helped. IF they give you a had time then go to a different dealer because you're dealer is a d**k. I don't know of anyway to tell there was a tuner installed and this is from the horse's mouth. I'm not trying to dog you or you're tech but this is what I do everyday of the week and I don't know how to tell and no one in my shop thinks you would be able to tell with the shop computers we have. So tune away, by the way I have a tuner,Airaid intake and Magnaflow exaust, 3" leveling kit with 315's and have NO warranty concerns. One last thought, unless you were to burn a piston I don't think they would even look that hard, just don't ever bring it up and they will never know unless they watched the data from you're PCM when the tune is installed and the tech would have to be on the ball.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
Ive talked to several dealers and they all agreed that if I have an engine issue with a performance tune, they will void my warranty. They said that the computer directly affects how the engine runs(ie lean, rich, too much timing, etc). So they could link the computer to the engine issue such as say a piston/cylinder issue. Now as far as exhaust/intake, they couldnt link an engine failure to the muffler/tailpipes. Its all about whether or not they could link the damage to the aftermarket part. For example, if you install an audio amplifier providing more power to the speakers, and then blow the factory speakers, they would not be covered under warranty. The problem is, you could in this case remove the amplifier and they would never know. However, with the computer, they can bring up the log and tell if you have had a tune installed. This is coming from the horse's mouth, and my Tech is a pretty cool guy.
Your tech isn't cool, he's a pr!ck. My dealer doesn't give a crap. I've taken it in with the tune loaded and told them not to F with the PCM 'cuz it's tuned. Their reply? "Ok, we won't touch it". If my engine starts to get funny, I'd load the stock tune and do a couple drive cycles... hell, it's not like the engine is gonna blow up and then not let you de-tune it.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Josiah
What year is your superduty, I am assuming it has the 6.0. What is the edgebox as well.

And FatherFord, I doubt any 04-06's are running in the 13's N/A'd. Are you speaking of pre-04 models?
It was an 03 with the 6.0. Edge is a company that makes a "box" for the truck, just a plug in module. Awesome company.

Old 10-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
What year is your superduty, I am assuming it has the 6.0. What is the edgebox as well.

And FatherFord, I doubt any 04-06's are running in the 13's N/A'd. Are you speaking of pre-04 models?
It's tough.... but I think its possible. Big thing is that these trucks are HEAVY and have alot of drivetrain loss. Drop some weight, especially in the right places (rotational weight, frontend weight, etc) and it can done. Also these trucks need gears. Notice that all these guys in the 14's (possibly 13's) are running 4:10's or 3.73's w/ really small tires. Its all about the combination.

Basically Josiah..... I wouldn't be so quick to call BS. Both Fatherford and Hellbound are rackin up some pretty sweet times.

Old 10-24-2005, 01:21 PM
It is ALL about set-up.

Here is my truck as it stands now:

2004 RCSB 5.4L 3.73 posi
Airiad Intake (fully insultaed with Thermo-tec)
X-cal custom tune with 93-96 octane (drag race tune)
Underdrive Pullies
Electric Fans
True Dual Magnaflow X-pipe exhaust (removed two rear cats)
Plasma Ignition Booster
XLT Aluminum Lariat wheels/ w P295/45/18 Toyo Proxes
----These tires/rims are very light. They weigh about 58lbs a piece mounted. With the 28.5" diameter I am at a 3.92 actual ratio.

Oh, and after I removed the spare tire, tailgate, light weight wheels/tires I dropped to 4656lbs empty curb weight. My stock tires/rims weighed 75lbs a piece. So, that is about 17lbs less a piece per wheel. Makes a big difference.

HOWEVER, I have a 6psi supercharger on the way so expect DEEP 13's in the 1/4 mile now vs. my current high 13's low 14's.

Last edited by hellbound F-150; 10-24-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:54 PM
I had an 04 F250 SuperCrew 4x4 6.0PSD - With the Diablosport Predator tuner and a catback, I got all 7200lbs down the track in 14.50 seconds! Bone stock it went 16.20, and I always launched in 4wd.

I'd be surprised if my new 05 F150 FX4 SCrew could even get into the 16's with the Airraid and catback

Old 10-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by az89gt
I'd be surprised if my new 05 F150 FX4 SCrew could even get into the 16's with the Airraid and catback
I got my screw at about 16 flat, prolly really really high 15s now that its nice and chilly outside.

A grand in mods and your truck will pep right up. It's still 6,000lbs to lug around with a 4 speed and 340 ponies or so (after mods), so don't expect great things.

Old 10-24-2005, 02:58 PM
Hellbound..... shoot me an email if your out there. I want to ask some questions about a couple of your mods....

acloessner@msn.com

Old 10-24-2005, 07:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Redrider731
Can you tell me how the dealer can tell if you had a tuner installed? I'm a Ford tech and have been for 17 years and 90% of the work I do is computer related. If you put the stock tune back in the worse they will see is a code P1000 that is the code the computer gives if the codes are cleared or PCM is reprogramed. this WILL NOT void any warranty. If you they ask were the P1000 came from you tell them you disconneted the batt. to see if it helped. IF they give you a had time then go to a different dealer because you're dealer is a d**k. I don't know of anyway to tell there was a tuner installed and this is from the horse's mouth. I'm not trying to dog you or you're tech but this is what I do everyday of the week and I don't know how to tell and no one in my shop thinks you would be able to tell with the shop computers we have. So tune away, by the way I have a tuner,Airaid intake and Magnaflow exaust, 3" leveling kit with 315's and have NO warranty concerns. One last thought, unless you were to burn a piston I don't think they would even look that hard, just don't ever bring it up and they will never know unless they watched the data from you're PCM when the tune is installed and the tech would have to be on the ball.
Some tuners, especially on diesels, will cause misidentification when you try auto ID'ing with PDS or WDS. I've had diesel Superduties show up as something stupid like a Ford Fairmont or a Ranger or something on PDS before. You'll also have weird codes referencing module to module communication problems, lots of "U" codes citing module reconfiguration required for the fix. There may be codes set for KAM reset if/when the stock program was loaded back up. Check mode 6 data, if it was cleared, it was cleared with a hard KAM reset, disconnecting the battery won't clear mode 6 data. Reference section 3-17 of the warranty policy guide for more info, or do a search on "diesel engine performance upgrades" at the site.

And about reloading the stock program...I'm not one to tell you what to do with your truck, but I personally think that's a spineless way out, especially for the diesel techs. If Joe Blow's Supertuner pumped the engine up past it's operating limits and blew it up, or turned the forward clutches in his transmission into kitty hair 'cause he cranked the EPC up and did a bunch of John Force launches, I think it's BS that the poor fool stuck turning wrenches at the dealer has to eat it under warranty because Mr. Customer thought he'd be slick and reload the stock configuration. Just my opinion.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:21 PM
I agree, but you now as well as I do 9 times out of 10 you can tell by looking at a car or truck and tell if someone is ******* the crap out of there car or truck. But I think that 99% of the guys on here worried about their warranty are not treating their truck this way. They are worried about basic stuff like MIL's or something along these lines. I do know of guys that have blown motors or popped headgaskets because of nitrous or a supercharger and removed it, these guys are over the line, but all I do is warranty work so if one or two in my life slip by I can live with that. If you have an issue with you truck and have a tune in it you should take it out and drive for a while to make sure it wasn't related. If it is a guy who is abusing his truck with a tuner he will learn his lesson or he will be back and you won't fool me twice as I always check repair history because you never know what you are walking into, you know what I mean.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by az89gt
I had an 04 F250 SuperCrew 4x4 6.0PSD - With the Diablosport Predator tuner and a catback, I got all 7200lbs down the track in 14.50 seconds! Bone stock it went 16.20, and I always launched in 4wd.

I still don't see the hype in the 6.0 with those times, yeah I understand it has to push a 7000lb+ brick, but those wouldn't be too hard to beat in an F150 with a couple grand in mods.

We'll see what I end up doing to my truck, all my money might go into the Jeep, if I don't get a Jeep I will risk everything when wheeling in my F150, so I'd rather have a flexy Jeep.

And I'm not calling BS, just saying it sounds very unlikely

Old 10-24-2005, 09:57 PM
I still don't see the hype in the 6.0 with those times
Ummm, he gained 1.7s in the 1/4 with two simple changes probably costing $750 total. A new F150 screw/scab 4*4 (same config as the F250) with the same mods is lucky to be in the same range as his 6.0 stock.
I see the hype.

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile times please!