2004 - 2008 F-150

Best Exhaust For 2005 F150 Fx4

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Exhaust For 2005 F150 Fx4

I Just Purchased A New F150 Fx4 With A 5.4 Motor And I Would Like To Put A New Exhaust System On It. Not Really Basing It On Performance I Mainly Want A Good Sounding Exhaust Not Too Loud But A Nice Deep Rumble Would Be Nice, When I Put The Pedal Down. Any Suggestions, Really Don't Want To Spend A Great Deal Of Money On This Project. Can I Go To My Local Muffler Shop? Anyone Have Success With A Particular Brand?

Old 10-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I want an answer to this question as well. I'm looking at getting my exhaust real soon, just need to pick a brand. I'm going with SISO.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Borla Borla Borla Borla Borla Borla

Old 10-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Exhaust

Magnaflow SIDO.....has great tone without the drone. You will know it is there when you get on the throttle, but it is hardly there when crusing.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Magnaflow, say it with me....... Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow. Borla is a very quality piece, but it's a little more expensive, plus Magnaflow quality is on par with Borla, and has been proven to provide the most HP/Torque gains on our stock 5.4's (SISO version). Troyerperformance offers them for 459 bucks plus shipping, Summit, I think, offers the same price. Love my Magnaflow, killer sound!

Old 10-11-2005, 08:45 PM
I just ordered the SISO kit from Magnaflow to put on my 05 FX4.. Give me a couple of days and I will let you know how it sounds...

Do a search in this forumn or the exhuast Forumn and you will find plenty of topics....

Originally Posted by GF1502005
I Just Purchased A New F150 Fx4 With A 5.4 Motor And I Would Like To Put A New Exhaust System On It. Not Really Basing It On Performance I Mainly Want A Good Sounding Exhaust Not Too Loud But A Nice Deep Rumble Would Be Nice, When I Put The Pedal Down. Any Suggestions, Really Don't Want To Spend A Great Deal Of Money On This Project. Can I Go To My Local Muffler Shop? Anyone Have Success With A Particular Brand?

Old 10-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I was leaning toward magnaflow myself. I'm just getting the muffler swapped out and having a nice tip put on. Is there a certain model that is designed to fit our trucks? I want the SISO, muffler only.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Stop what you are doing and go here. Now!

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=214165

Different twist on an old question. I like the honesty of everyone trying to find the exhaust that works for them.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Suspended
www.hottexhaust.com has the best price on the Magnaflow exhaust systems.

Im torn between Magnaflow and Borla right now.

Last edited by ThumperMX113; 10-12-2005 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by FX4&EXCURSION
Magnaflow, say it with me....... Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow. Borla is a very quality piece, but it's a little more expensive, plus Magnaflow quality is on par with Borla, and has been proven to provide the most HP/Torque gains on our stock 5.4's (SISO version). Troyerperformance offers them for 459 bucks plus shipping, Summit, I think, offers the same price. Love my Magnaflow, killer sound!
driverfx has the Borla system for about the same price, maybe a couple bucks less.

Old 10-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Is the Borla or Magnaflow a straight thru design?

Old 10-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Either straight pipes [which i have] no muffler no cats, or a b&b exhaust that my friend has just put on, it sounds amazing.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
Drop the muffler & just a pipe out
Thats what im doing this thursday. I will have pictures and i might try to run a couple of quarter mile times before and after to see if i notice a difference. Doubt it. Just cuttin the muffler off and dualing it out from there. Cats are staying.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:34 AM
Did anyone suggest Magnaflow?

I bought the SISO - the fit was great and the sound was just what I was looking for. No drone at highway speeds and nice deep rumble when you stomp on it. I also went with hottexhaust. Ordered online and received it 4 days later.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:43 AM
I normally stick to legal advice, because it is what I know, but I am going to suggest something here that others might disagree with, but here goes nothing. If what you are looking for is a slightly less restrictive exhaust system that unleashes the true sound of your truck, there's is absolutely no reason to be getting some $600.00 Cat-back system when all you really need to do is take it to a local muffler shop and have them drop in a new Magnaflow muffler and weld on a new tip. You can get that done for less than $150. Seriously... are you trying to enter some racing competition? Are you trying to have the world's fastest F-150 (which, even if you were, you would need to get yourself some custom split headers to have true duel exhaust)?

Something that is often overlooked by this board when we are discussing exhaust is that while exhaust can be tweaked to get more horsepower and speed, those benefits generally come at the expense of torque (specifically, low-end torque). By only changing out your muffler, you are less likely to mess with the torque characteristics of your truck. But be aware of the fact that a larger, more free-flowing exhaust will generally decrease back pressure, in turn decreasing the low-end torque of the vehicle.

Of course, there are great exhaust systems out there that take torque characteristics into account, but the benefits you will receive are usually not commensurate with the cost of the exhaust system. Hell, it can be down right fun to put a new exhaust system on. If those are your motives, then go for it. But if you are cost conscious and are really only looking for better sound and a moderate increase in performance, you may only need a new muffler and some badass tip welded on. Good luck!

Here's an excerpt of something I found after typing this up. It lends credence to some of my suggestions. It's from
Magnaflow's site:

Keep in mind that the goal is to improve exhaust flow. In most cases, just changing the restrictive OEM muffler and replacing it with the same size straight-through, Wide Open Performance MagnaFlow muffler will do this job.
To reduce additional backpressure, the OEM exhaust tubing can be replaced with madrel-bent tubing of the same size or one size up from the OEM. As a general rule, you can enlarge the pipe diameter of your OEM exhaust system by 1/4- to 1/2-inch to increase your horsepower. However, any additional increase in pipe diameter is likely to decrease your performance; specifically, low end torque.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust For 2005 F150 Fx4