2004 - 2008 F-150

Best Exhaust For 2005 F150 Fx4

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by minus_13
I normally stick to legal advice, because it is what I know, but I am going to suggest something here that others might disagree with, but here goes nothing. If what you are looking for is a slightly less restrictive exhaust system that unleashes the true sound of your truck, there's is absolutely no reason to be getting some $600.00 Cat-back system when all you really need to do is take it to a local muffler shop and have them drop in a new Magnaflow muffler and weld on a new tip. You can get that done for less than $150. Seriously... are you trying to enter some racing competition? Are you trying to have the world's fastest F-150 (which, even if you were, you would need to get yourself some custom split headers to have true duel exhaust)?

Something that is often overlooked by this board when we are discussing exhaust is that while exhaust can be tweaked to get more horsepower and speed, those benefits generally come at the expense of torque (specifically, low-end torque). By only changing out your muffler, you are less likely to mess with the torque characteristics of your truck. But be aware of the fact that a larger, more free-flowing exhaust will generally decrease back pressure, in turn decreasing the low-end torque of the vehicle.

Of course, there are great exhaust systems out there that take torque characteristics into account, but the benefits you will receive are usually not commensurate with the cost of the exhaust system. Hell, it can be down right fun to put a new exhaust system on. If those are your motives, then go for it. But if you are cost conscious and are really only looking for better sound and a moderate increase in performance, you may only need a new muffler and some badass tip welded on. Good luck!

Here's an excerpt of something I found after typing this up. It lends credence to some of my suggestions. It's from
Magnaflow's site:
It's all personal preference. If just having a new muffler and tip welded on is good enough for you great, but if you want the BEST setup you need to get a stainless, mandrel bent, catback system.

The SISO Magnaflow system has been DYNO proven to provide INCREASES in HP and TQ, so there goes your theory that you lose performance with a catback system.

Here's something from Magnaflows site that might interest you.

By the way, you can get the SISO Magnaflow catback delivered to your house for a little under $400, not $600.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Here's a few sound clips of the Magnaflow SISO catback system.

Takeoff

Driveby

1/4 mile windows up

1/4 mile windows down

Old 10-12-2005, 10:34 AM
borla Borla borla

Old 10-12-2005, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FX4&EXCURSION
Magnaflow, say it with me....... Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow Magnaflow. Borla is a very quality piece, but it's a little more expensive, plus Magnaflow quality is on par with Borla, and has been proven to provide the most HP/Torque gains on our stock 5.4's (SISO version). Troyerperformance offers them for 459 bucks plus shipping, Summit, I think, offers the same price. Love my Magnaflow, killer sound!
$459, I hear people talking about $250 shipped (must not have been a maggie)! Is the price roughly the same for a SIDO system.

What do cats do and where are they located.

Anyone care to list most expensive exhaust to cheapest (brandwise).

And Thump, it's hottexhaust.com, but thanks.

Also, what is the correct name for the exhaust which bolts out to the opposite sides (dual) like so:
/ \

Last edited by Josiah; 10-12-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by hwm3
The SISO Magnaflow system has been DYNO proven to provide INCREASES in HP and TQ, so there goes your theory that you lose performance with a catback system.

Here's something from Magnaflows site that might interest you.

By the way, you can get the SISO Magnaflow catback delivered to your house for a little under $400, not $600.
Something that is often overlooked by this board when we are discussing exhaust is that while exhaust can be tweaked to get more horsepower and speed, those benefits generally come at the expense of torque (specifically, low-end torque). By only changing out your muffler, you are less likely to mess with the torque characteristics of your truck. But be aware of the fact that a larger, more free-flowing exhaust will generally decrease back pressure, in turn decreasing the low-end torque of the vehicle.

Of course, there are great exhaust systems out there that take torque characteristics into account, but the benefits you will receive are usually not commensurate with the cost of the exhaust system.
Magnaflow's site:
You really should be more careful with your reading. The only argument I have proposed is that "the benefits you will receive [from a catback system that takes torque characteristics into account] are usually not commensurate with the cost of the exhaust system." And while I concede that a cost/benefit analysis is often times subjective, I do not believe that a 9 Hp and 11 lb-ft torque gain is worth even $400.00, nevermind $600.00. If we are going to discuss this any further, please focus your argument within the context of the opening posters question, which explicitly states that cost is a concern, if not the primary concern (although I do admit that the thread title says he is looking for the "best" exhaust).

Last edited by minus_13; 10-12-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i had an 04 screw and put a dual borla on it. i liked it and saw an increase of power. it sounded good.

i bought an 05 and have been trying to decide what brand to go with. i even started a thread trying to get feed back on who hates what they put on. after reading everything on this site that i can i was still undecided. some liked a system and others wrote that they hated the same

i just ordered a borla single in single out. a while ago i emailed the borla engineers and they said there is no difference between the siso and the sido other than looks. sound is the same and performance the same. cheapest i could find the dual for was 725.00. i got the single for 489.00 and free shipping. i should get it at the end of this week and be able to tell if it is equal.

Old 10-12-2005, 04:38 PM
projetmech, where did you get your Borla SISO? What others need to be including in their likes / dislikes (https://www.f150online.com/forums/li...d.php?t=214165) is other mods on their truck. For instance, someone with no cabin drone might have stock intake. I have an AF1 intake and personally, at certain RPM's the cabin drone is annoying, and I currently have stock exhaust. I am hoping that when I get a SISO that some of that sound will dissipate. Stock exhaust is 2.5". Should I go 2.5" out or 3" out? Or is it even an option with Borla / Magnaflow? I am leaning toward the Borla.
Ultimately it is personal preference. I don't like the loud dual exhaust sound. there are plenty of those around where I live and most are old piece of s**t trucks. My truck gets enough looks as it is.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
Drop the muffler & just a pipe out
Open headers for me. That's the way to go...

Old 10-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
got my borla ordered from gforceautosports.com. should be here on friday.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:13 PM
is the catback system on the F-150's easy to install by oneself?

Old 10-12-2005, 06:40 PM
You really should be more careful with your reading. Opinion. Opinion. Opinion. Opinion. Blah. Blah. Blah.
It's just fine to voice your OPINION. I just pointed out that you were wrong. The benefits of a lower restriction exhaust do NOT have to cost you torque down low. That's why I posted the dyno chart for you.

I normally stick to legal advice, because it is what I know, but I am going to suggest something here that others might disagree with, but here goes nothing.
Just stick to legal advice if that's what you KNOW.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:42 PM
I noticed that dyno curve only starts @ 3600rpm, its the 2000-3600rpm range that I'm interested in as thats the cruising rpm, losing any torque in that range will affect towing unless in 2nd gear.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I just ordered SISO muffler, part number 12249 and got it put in, basically built my own cat back, did not touch any of the factory stuff(cost me $190). I gained about 3 trucks on the street and about .2 to .3 on those awesome perfectly accurate gtechs , but I really like the sound, its perfect. At 70 there is a very little bit of exhaust noise, hardly any, but it sounds good. Straight through muffler, magnaflow rocks.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:38 PM
I have a 05 FX4 With a Magnaflow SISO, Never gave it a 2nd thought after it was installed, just seems to sound better everyday, and I get compliments all the time on how "mean" it sounds, plus its queit when ur easy on the throttle

Old 10-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
BANKS MONSTER exhaust is very good also.

5" double-wall tailpipe tip with rolled edge

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust For 2005 F150 Fx4