2004 - 2008 F-150

2m/70cm ham antenna mount question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of using a Yakima rail to mount my Comet antenna. Has anyone performed this type of antenna mount successfully? Any pics of such feats?
73s

Peter
kg4bda

Old 09-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been caught in a similar dilemma. I would like to mount a dual-band antenna on my truck but I can't mount one on the roof due to my garage door height. I only have about 2 inches to spare above the top of the truck. Anyone have some suggestions on alternate mounting locations?

kd4crs

Old 09-27-2005, 04:12 PM
I have been contemplating using either a mag mount to attach to the top of a rail in the side of the bed... or even a trunk type mount to just attach to an inside edge of the rail in the bed. I would think that provides enough of a ground plane with the bed to be effective, plus it would not stick up too high...

don04
kb1hmt

Old 09-27-2005, 06:20 PM
I used/modified one of the rubber types of tie downs that you can buy at advance auto. Then I installed a 4" pl-259 thru the hole with a nut on either end. then connected my coax on the bottom and the antenna on top. If you would like to see a picture, let me know.

Kevin

Old 09-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a "through the glass" antenna, Larsen brand I think, mounted to the upper passenger side of the front glass as that was the easiest way to run the coax to where I needed it inside the cab. Reception is good as I can hit all of the local repeaters which was my objective.

Height restrictions in my carport and an aversion to drilling holes in my new truck were the major factors in my decision. YRMV.

K4ERC

Old 09-28-2005, 07:37 AM

With my previous truck, I made an antenna mount out of stainless in our model shop here at the office. I put weather stripping on both sides of the mount and roof mounted it sandwiched between the roof sheet metal and the high mount stop light. It worked great and had no problems for all 6 years of ownership.
The problem with the F150 is that the sheet metal around the high mountstop light has a recess all around requiring tight bends on the sheet metal.
I'll give it a try before subitting to the Yakima idea.

73s

Peter
kg4bda

Quick Reply: 2m/70cm ham antenna mount question